Selling art internationally

memax
Excursionist
13 0 2

I’ve asked this question a few times but not really got the answer I need.

I’m an artist shipping drawings and paintings from the UK. I need to know how to make shipping of my work a seamless process for my customers.

Ideally this would be through a free app, if possible.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Max

0 Likes
HariKrishna
Shopify Partner
688 17 77

Hi @memax,

May I know which carriers are you using to handle the shipping process and your order volume? 

I'm not sure if you will find a free app for handling the complete shipping process. However, you can check out the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app that helps you integrate all top carriers like FedEx, UPS, DHL, Parcelforce, TNT, and many more, and automate the shipping process by allowing you to display live shipping rates at checkout, print multiple shipping labels in a single click and also automate the tracking process. The price starts at $9/month with a 14-day free trial. You can try the app in this period and contact the support for any assistance required. 

I hope this helps!

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
suellen
Tourist
4 0 0

I have a client selling art from the US and shipping internationally.

They wanted to use Shopify Shipping but that won't work because Shopify Shipping doesn't show dimensional shipping rates to customers at checkout - therefore shipping costs would be much higher than what the customer pays.

We then looked at Shippo because they offer highly discounted carrier rates on major carriers - however, the app doesn't have the ability to show shipping rates at checkout.  They suggest using the USPS Rates Calculator and then setting Flat Rates based on that but that's not showing true shipping costs and it's a big task with over 5000 products!

The only other app to offer discounted carrier rates is Easyship and they do show shipping rates at checkout.  There's a lot of work to set up all of the dimensions for over 5000 products but it seems this is the only way.

Other apps like Multi Carrier Shipping Label could work but they don't offer discounted carrier rates - you need to use your own carrier account and rates are not as discounted as Shopify, Shippo or Easyship.

It just feels crazy hard setting up something that surely thousands of merchants need.

If anyone can help me out with this I'd be super grateful.

0 Likes
memax
Excursionist
13 0 2

Hello,

I'm struggling with that. It seems like all the main carriers used by Shopify don't include the UK - which is frustrated.

It's not possible to know the volume at this point but I will be likely shipping single items at a time.

Thanks for getting back to me.

0 Likes
memax
Excursionist
13 0 2

It's really holding up my store opening. My customers should see up front what they need to pay. And I'd prefer it that way. I only have 20-30 products up at the moment so maybe I should try easyship. If they serve the UK.

0 Likes
Daniel2345
5 0 0

Thanks for sharing it, it's awesome

0 Likes
Mac
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
90 13 10

Hi, @memax.

Thank you for reaching out with your question! I’m happy to help.

I understand the importance of offering a seamless shipping experience to your customers and selling art online. The first step is to determine the cost of getting your products in the hands of your customers. Doing so will give you a great idea of which methods work best for your profit margin. You can check out our guide on calculating shipping costs here to learn more about key factors like package size, weight, origin and destination addresses. 

The next step will be to determine your shipping strategy. There are several common methods used by our merchants which include offering free shipping, charging exact costs, or providing flat-rate shipping. I suggest checking out this help document to learn more about finding the best shipping options for your business. Once you have a better idea of your costs and strategy, you can set up your shipping rates within Shopify accordingly.

If you prefer to use a third party carrier app to purchase shipping labels from, you can check out the Starshipit Shipping & Tracking and Zenstores apps on our App Store which have a wide range of domestic and international couriers that sync directly to your Shopify admin. If you have any questions about the apps, or need a hand setting them up, feel free to reach out to the developers directly as they could provide some more information.   

In addition to offering carrier shipping, setting up pickup and local delivery is another great way to speed up your fulfillment time and create a better experience for your customers. When customers are close to your business, you can offer unique, local methods for them to receive their products. More on this can be found on this help document here.

Can you tell me a little bit about your artwork? What are the dimensions required for packaging? Are you shipping domestically or internationally?

Mac | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes