What is required for US-based Shopify sellers to expand into Canada?

leenaandlu
Excursionist
24 0 3

Hi! We are US-Based and we want to start offering our products to Canada. I've been doing some research and I've found mixed information; Some say, We have to include a certificate of origin and a commercial invoice with every order and some say they just shipped products as if it is another US state. Could somebody help me to see what do we need to do in regard to taxes and other issues that we have to be aware of? Thanks!

Replies 2 (2)

rohitmishra
Shopify Staff
21 2 14

Hey, you can ship your products to Canada using Shopify Shipping or other third party shipping apps. Canadian buyers would pay import duties and taxes on delivery. Shopify is working on enabling merchants to pre-collect duties and taxes in checkout. You need the certificate of origin if you want to get import duties waived off under NAFTA / USMCA trade agreements. Shipping carriers need specific documentation for this so you will have to reach out to your carrier for more information on this. 

The easiest way to get started would be to start shipping to Canadian buyers while making it clear in your shipping policy that they are responsible for import duties and taxes upon delivery. 

Product Lead, Global Commerce and Sales Tax
leenaandlu
Excursionist
24 0 3

Thanks!