Master pages & page sections examples

Ottomen
Shopify Partner
29 4 9

Will be great to see the code examples for the Master pages & page sections examples.

I've seen that docs already have a content schema examples and frames also, thats nice!

Replies 7 (7)

Liam
Shopify Staff
2731 297 760

Hi Ottomen,

Nice to hear you've been testing out the examples from the docs in your dev store. Once feature functionality is finalized we'll have more examples available for testing master pages and page sections. I'll make sure that this forum is notified when these updates are made 🙂 

Cheers,

Liam Griffin

Shopify | Developer Tools & Education

Liam | Developer Advocate @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

campsafari
Visitor
1 0 0

is there any news on that feature? I have been trying to find some examples on how to setup master pages with content-sections, but no luck so far

Liam
Shopify Staff
2731 297 760

Hi @campsafari ,

Are you testing out the developer preview with the sections-compatible Debut theme? You can add content sections to the master page of products, as is shown in this example video. This content section will then appear on all product pages that have sections enabled. 

Hope this helps,

Liam Griffin

Shopify | Developer Community Manager

- To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

EdwardLaw
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi @Liam 

What is the release date for content sections on any page?

Thanks

Ed

Liam
Shopify Staff
2731 297 760

Hi @EdwardLaw 

We don't have a full release date for content sections on all pages at the moment, but this will be available to merchants later this year. In the meantime, we have launched sections on the cart, 404, and password pages on developer preview stores. 

Hope this helps,

Liam Griffin

EdwardLaw
Tourist
3 0 1

@Liam 

Thanks for the update.

When adding content sections will the associated data be attached to the theme or the page? 

Regards

Ed

Liam
Shopify Staff
2731 297 760

Good question @EdwardLaw.

So when user-generated content is added to a content section (eg: adding text into a text field on a section setting), that text is not stored on the theme, but rather on a store level. Previously content added to sections would be recorded by the theme and stored in the `settings_data.json` file. With the new section types, this is no longer the case and content is stored on a store level. This makes it easier for content to be ported across to a different theme, when a merchant switches their theme. 

Hope this helps!

Liam Griffin