Solved

Accept Partial payments on Draft orders or Manual orders

gio-novo
Visitor
3 0 29

I know you can accept multiple partial payments on Shopify POS which is very useful in my business but i would like this same function when doing draft orders or manual orders. I would like to email my customer the draft order and accept a "deposit" or a "down payment" on an order. Currently Square Invoice and PayPal Invoice offer this useful feature, where you can determine what is the initial minimal payment amount ( example 50% deposit) and after the customer either pick up or we deliver the order the customer pays the remaining amount. With square Invoice you can even set up a schedule of payments similar like a subscription but with a defined dates and last payment date. Also with 3D Cart you can record partial payments on offline or manual orders. 

When will we be able to accept or record partial payments on draft or manual orders on Shopify?

Thank you 

Accepted Solution (1)
Dallas
Shopify Staff (Retired)
916 61 211

This is an accepted solution.

Thank you so much for all of this information to help clarify what you're needing. 

Based on what you're saying the option that would work best for you is to use the Draft Order feature and split the payments up that way. I know it isn't as intuitive as you'd like, but it will cut out the steps of using square and copying the information over. 

If you have your customer's contact information you can send them an invoice directly from the draft order so that they can pay there, the money is tracked and inventory is adjusted appropriately. The invoice won't have any information from the previous payment invoice, but you can add that information in the notes. 

From the options available in association with what you need I think this would be the best option for you. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 101 (101)
mbeffa
Tourist
7 0 3

I find all the solutions proposed by Dallas unacceptable. I will offer my 2 cents about how this should work. 

On any existing order, I have an option to split fulfillment

split_fulfill.jpg

In the Payment Pending section below, there is the option Collect Payment, which opens the following pop-up:

split_pay.jpg

HERE WE NEED A THIRD OPTION:

split_pay1.jpg

The Split Payments selection needs to operate IDENTICAL with the Split Fultillment. 

Open a text box where I can enter the payment amount. 

Any future invoice should list the paid amount and the amount due. 

Since I can split fulfillment in any number if lots, I should also be able to split payments the same. 

Oh, but would Shopify ever listen? I think I wasted all this ink.

George53
Shopify Partner
11 0 65
What a great workaround! So much better than using a draft order lookup app! Thank you soooooo much for posting this!!!! Chapeau!!!!
bdeaw
Shopify Partner
59 1 55

Thanks SOOOOO much for this. 🙏 It works perfectly for my situation. This should be the accepted solution so folks can find it without scrolling through all the responses. you can take partial payments multiple times as well. 

It is still unacceptable that it's not possible via the admin.  

HootySam
Visitor
1 0 4

Do not think this is actually solved. We are desperately looking for a solution that allows customers to pay a downpayment from the order cart so our support can serve them later. We are high-ticket items and no one will pay using credit cards. 

bdeaw
Shopify Partner
59 1 55

This is NOT a solution.  A user in May 2023 has posted a better option using Shopify POS. Please update this to direct to their response.  

NMPP
Visitor
2 0 1

This should not be an accepted solution. It in no way satisfies the specified conditions. 

iramccully
Excursionist
11 1 34

This is most certainly NOT solved.

The ability to draft invoices with multiple payments is the very FIRST need I have for my very first product. It is the root of the business logic of credit, deposit, reservation and layaway.  It would be an easier problem if we could ONLY accept multiple recurring  payments with incrementing invoice lines. 

Look, I'm new here. My first shopify website is coming up on 4 days old. I have ONE item for sale. If I cannot partial invoice, accept partial payment, deposits increment an invoice and properly track inventory using this system I'm taking my business elsewhere.  

Matt37
Explorer
65 0 78

I'm curious if you consider ShopPay to be a solution for you? 

We starting offering it to our customers, and they were able to setup 12 monthly payments for a table and chairs without a problem.  

Gist
Tourist
6 0 4

Hi there!

I found this thread, and wanted to let everyone know about our application, called Wholster, which allows for true partial payments to be made on draft orders using the payment terms features.

You can check out an overview of how this works here:

https://docs.wholster.com/article/payment-terms-overview/

For more general information about the app, please visit the app listing page in Shopify

https://apps.shopify.com/wholester.

If anyone is interested in this solution, please feel free to reach out to us any time at support@gist-apps.com.

Hope this helps, and looking forward to hearing from you!

Matt37
Explorer
65 0 78

@Gist Wow that might actually be a solution. Thank you!!  I want to go deeper into your product and see how we can set it up. It seems to have more features, so I want to see what else I am paying for. 

Thank you for posting it here. 

Any chance you want to break your payment terms tool out into it's own little app? 

cheers

Gist
Tourist
6 0 4

Hey Matt,

Glad that Wholster looks like a good solution for you.

At this point in time, unfortunately we do not have any plans to break this feature off into it's own application.

jarrodb291
Tourist
3 0 19

This is most certinaly not solved, even on Shopify Plus this BASIC feature is not available and we are directed to the wild west of the app store to find a solution, all of which by the way don't work in one way or another.  SHOPIFY - THIS IS A REQUIRED FEATURE!!!!!

Koennn
Excursionist
18 0 22

Please fix! Researching the use of shopify for our store, and would be an absolute dealbreaker if there is no proper way of doing this.

RachelSim
Visitor
1 0 5

Requesting for the same thing need split payments from the draft orders 

Jewelry22
Tourist
7 0 15

I agree, this should be a simple solution and a built in feature. We switched to shopify a little while ago and I HATE that we have to get an app for every single feature, its ridiculous. 

George53
Shopify Partner
11 0 65
No need to use an external app (not sure if you do). Still find it bizarre that we can’t take partial payment in the Admin, but when you use POS for iPad, you can take partial payment. That is how we do it now, we simply open Shopify on the iPad and process first partial payment there, then final payment can be processed in the Admin. Good luck!
Jewelry22
Tourist
7 0 15

If that functionality is available on shopify POS it should also be available on the web version. We do not use shopify for our in person POS, so we cannot use that workaround. 

ElanaSadler
Tourist
3 0 9
Yes this is such a good point!

anrdunn
Tourist
3 0 7

Another vote for this feature! I've been waiting and hoping for years now that Shopify would add integrated partial payment options with the ability to send updated invoices and invoices requesting remaining payment.

Adam_Mosley
Tourist
3 0 15

It's truly remarkable that people have been asking for this basic feature for years and Shopify is just ignoring it.

dopher
Tourist
4 0 8

Agreed,   QB supports partial payments,   the POS supports partial payments.   What gives?  And we have Shopify Pro version.   

Kat25
Tourist
6 0 12

May 2023 and it appears to still not have been addressed. 

diana_birsan
Explorer
46 1 10

Former Shopifier here: Shopify released new APIs for partners to build this functionality properly and stop all the duplicate inventory and order issues, very few have actually taken these steps. We used these APIs and built out Downpay to handle this properly. Just about to release variant support and more features on storefront. I know it's not ideal for some folks to have another app to do the thing, but but if you want to try it out for free, we're in free beta for another month or more and would love to get some feedback and help you out in the interim. Here's what an order looks like, and you can send an invoice or just charge the credit card on file.

Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 2.11.00 PM.png
Also: This only works for regular checkout orders, draft orders still doesn't support partial payments APIs which stinks for us too 😭.

hypehound.io/ or install here.

Diana

EllinonK
Tourist
5 0 13

The so called "accepted (by Shopify) solution" is anything but acceptable. I would like to join ALL the other merchants that have been demanding that this feature be BUILT INTO Shopify.

For some (a lot?) of us, who do a substantial amount of custom order business, this feature is 

ESSENTIAL.

Please Shopify, quit stalling--(as I add my voice to this thread) three years after the original post!!!)

Thank you.

EK

RichardE
Visitor
2 0 4

Crickets from Shopify, still nothing has been handled with this and it's asinine that we are still waiting on this to be developed/deployed.

EllinonK
Tourist
5 0 13

FYI, we are using this App: https://apps.shopify.com/preorder-now?surface_intra_position=1&surface_type=partners&surface_version... demand which recently introduced a Partial Payment feature. However, we have not used it yet and can not vouch for it.

Still, as customers of the most popular e-commerce hosting platform, we should N-O-T have to

resort to add-ons of ANY kind. This feature is so fundamental to merchants who sell "expensive" and/or customizable products/services that Shopify should have introduced from Day #1.

Totally, inexcusable.

Jcvr1920
Visitor
2 0 8
We downloaded preorder Now and we did not like it, the partial pay feature
is neat, but an inventory night because it is not a true partial pay. The
app automatically creates two draft orders, one for the current invoice and
a second for the second payment, what they don't tell you is that it pulls
inventory twice, so if you are sold out of an item it shows that on the
second invoice and they cannot check out. Also, on the second draft order
it is very confusing because it does not have the customers name selected
on it, just a reference number. There is not an app out there that can
produce a true partial payment invoice in Shopify. It is on Shopify to
create it and code it. It baffles me that they have not done this yet.
PAYPAL, SQUARE AND OTHER PLATFORMS HAVE THIS FEATURE. It can be done.
Adam_Mosley
Tourist
3 0 15

Yes, the other platforms have the feature, including Shopify POS, which is running on the same Shopify backbone. The only explanation is that Shopify simply doesn't want to offer this feature for some reason. They somehow haven't grown with their customer base. They still think their product is for people selling T-shirts out of their garage.

Koennn
Excursionist
18 0 22

One upvote for this feature request. We are selling custom furniture, and our customers expect a 50/50 partial payment. Right now it is always painful to see customers not completing their order because we cannot offer partial payments.

Stever27
Visitor
2 0 7

We also sell some high value items and customized products that are not usually ready for immediate shipment and many customers would rather pay a deposit with the balance payment at a later date.  Right now we just handle these cases manually, but it is error prone and can mess up our store analytics if not done carefully.

VariousKeytags
Tourist
3 0 3

Add us to the list of businesses that really need this functionality!  It was a breeze when we did all our invoicing via PayPal. This missing feature has started to trip us up a bit in sales. 

Koennn
Excursionist
18 0 22

Same here! We sell high value custom items, and our competitors offer 10% or 50% deposits with the rest due on arrival. If I would have know this was not able with Shopify I would definitly have picked another platform, we are losing customers to our competitors every day.   

dopher
Tourist
4 0 8

The biggest issue I have is that according to Shopify this issue is solved.   Maybe thats why no one at SF is looking at this problem.

dopher_0-1686240251599.png

EllinonK
Tourist
5 0 13
It is obvious to all of us on this conversation that Shopify must "do
something about it".

The real question, though, may be this: are "they" (that is, the managers
that help shape the Shopify website development strategy) *aware* of this
burning need?

*Perhaps they are not.* I am saying this because I am amazed at all the new
"bells and whistles" Shopify keeps coming up with every month, i.e., "nice
to have" features here and there but, in the final analysis, they address
the needs of a *particular* industry or sales channel. It is as if they
have taken care of all the basics and they are now looking for the extras.

However, the accept partial payments feature is so *foundational* to every
good e-commerce platform, that it is intuitively obvious to the impartial
observer that it should have been included in the very first Shopify
iteration many-many years ago--way before they became the #1 platform in
the world!

The fact that it was not, supports my argument that they somehow missed it
and continue to miss it because nobody from Shopify is aware of this
ongoing discussion among us merchants: yes--the "users", as software
marketing types, like to call us. They keep looking for these "nice to
have" Shopify features (driven perhaps by what Square is offering) while
this "dah-h-h!" kind of a feature is amazingly eluding their attention!

To put it another way: it is completely *impossible* for a senior Shopify
executive to be alerted of this need and to *consciously* deflect it ("we
have more important things to do").

It is *impossible* because, the fact that so many of us have looked--*in
vain and for so long*--for add-on Apps and other workarounds to do our job,
is further proof that the feature should be tightly integrated in the
Shopify code itself--by Shopify, itself NOT by third parties!

So, what do others on this channel think we should do about it? Perhaps,
start *flooding* Shopify Tech Support, by citing this discussion, and be
persistent about it by not "allowing" the support case, that each of us
opens, to be closed by Tech Support until somebody "in *senior* authority"
responds to *all of us*?

Perhaps a "flood", such as this, may move them!

What do you think?

EK

PS Sorry about this...impolite language, but Shopify's inaction is
exasperating!

Arundas
Shopify Partner
72 3 96
Let's flood! Make a support case as said, and paste a screenshot here to
encourage others.
If my reply helped you, please give it a Like and mark it as Accepted Solution.
Do you need help customizing your theme or editing code? Email me!
Koennn
Excursionist
18 0 22

Great plan, done 🙌

Screenshot 2023-06-09 085410.png

SPZO
Visitor
1 0 0

Did you get any reply? I'm facing the same problem. I can't believe this isn't solved after so many years. 

Koennn
Excursionist
18 0 22
Not a word 😞
Kat25
Tourist
6 0 12
Nope!

George53
Shopify Partner
11 0 65
Nope, nothing
VariousKeytags
Tourist
3 0 3
This seems like an easy add. Really not sure what the downside of adding
this feature would be? It’s pretty confusing after all this time.

DDemper
Tourist
5 0 2

I feel the same way! Our business focuses on selling customized items of great value, and our competitors have the advantage of offering flexible payment including deposits, with the remaining amount due upon arrival. Had I known that this functionality was not available with Shopify, I would have definitely chosen a different platform. Unfortunately, we are witnessing a steady loss of customers to our competitors on a daily basis.

George53
Shopify Partner
11 0 65

Hey all! I want to repost a recent "solution" we are using, I did not come up with it myself, but it works great and for us has been the best solution so far, and it is free!

Here are the steps:

Here are the steps:

1. Create draft order 
  2. Check Payment due later
  3. Select due on receipt AND hit Create Order
  4. Open up POS on a mobile device
  5. Go to Orders
  6. Select Online
  7. Select the created order
  8. Split payment
  9. Collect initial amount of payment
  10. Go back into the backend dashboard, where the order now shows partially paid
  11. Edit the payment due date to what you would like it to be for the remaining payment
  12. Collect payment at a later date either through the backend dashboard or POS

Hope it is helpful, have a great day all!

LorenzaMublio
Visitor
1 0 5

I wanted to chime in on the discussion about enabling partial payments for orders. I totally agree that these functions are essential. Here's why:

Customer Flexibility: Letting customers make partial payments accommodates different budgets and lets them snag what they want while working within their means.

Happy Customers: Accepting partial payments boosts customer satisfaction by allowing them to reserve products without coughing up the full amount right away.

Cash Flow Ease: Partial payments help merchants manage their cash flow better, giving them access to revenue earlier for expenses and growth opportunities.

More Sales: When customers can make partial payments, it removes obstacles and increases the chances of completing a purchase. More sales mean more growth.

Stand Out from Competitors: Offering flexible payment options shows that you're customer-focused and sets you apart from competitors in the market.

To sum it up, implementing partial payment options for orders is crucial for meeting customer needs, boosting satisfaction, managing cash flow, driving sales, and gaining an edge over the competition.

javed_enduro1
Shopify Partner
4 0 3

Still waiting.... 

Adam_Mosley
Tourist
3 0 15

Oh look, another update with no partial pay option. And this one is supposed to be better for B2B sales? Maybe we all just need to leave Shopify and find a solution that has this basic function.

Koennn
Excursionist
18 0 22

Imagine my business can accept partial payments like most other platforms

dopher
Tourist
4 0 8

Yup, new colors and some new icons we didn't need.   

Kat25
Tourist
6 0 12

I saw the update & hoped. And was then let down. Still no partial pay option. 

EllisClark
Visitor
1 0 3

We need this too!

There are a few 'user-friendly' features that would be very beneficial for Shopify to have!