Can Shopify allow assigning specific packages to products?

veryventura
Visitor
1 0 63

Let me throw my hat in the ring to urge Shopify to add the ability to assign specific packages to specific products. PLEASE, the extra shipping charges we're incurring due to miscalculated shipping charges are eating at our profit.

Thank you!

Replies 126 (126)
rrdreampad
Tourist
4 0 7

Please also add me to the list of people requesting ability to assign specific boxes to specific products.  It will save a lot of merchants money from mistakes being made when selecting packages.  Thank you

skotua
Visitor
1 0 11

One of the original posts summed up my experience so far very well: horrific. 

I can't believe that a service I have to pay monthly for has so many very basic things it cannot do. 

Merge orders? Paid app. 
Limit purchase quantities? Paid app. 
Different packages for products? Paid app. 

At this point, it doesn't look like Shopify cares about rectifying these issue either and it's extremely frustrating. 
I just dumped a bunch of time into manually getting shipping rates, and now I have to throw them all out because I cant have stickers ship in a different package then a record mailer. 

Thanks Shopify. 

CraterGoods
Tourist
4 0 42

I just don't understand why this topic has been brought up so many times, and so many years ago why it hasn't been taken care of already. It's the basics of online commerce. 

alyssapaints
Visitor
1 0 8

please add me to this list I find that very strange that we can't do this ?

dguyette
Visitor
2 0 9

I'm really surprise this functionality has not been added yet. It seems really basic considering Shopify is mostly for physical products. I have 400+ SKUs in many different box sizes. I don't charge my domestic customers for shipping, but international customers are charged shipping. It really should be a priority for Shopify to allow us to assign box sizes to products. 

Higher_Market
Visitor
1 0 10

Please add me to the list of customers who would like this feature added. Paying 30 or more dollars a month to add a feature that should already be offered through your platform is unacceptable.

Kota47
Visitor
1 0 4

Add me to the list.

I wonder how much time people have wasted trying to figure this out just like I have done. Adding package sizes when you can't assign them to the right products. 

FauxrlbyYasmin
Excursionist
11 0 15

OMG!  Huge waste of time.  I spent HOURS trying to figure it out until I found this thread and realized I wasn't stupid.  That was a relief, but it doesn't help that Shopify won't come up with a solution.

Brighten your day...for a lifetime!
tony5280
Shopify Partner
85 6 51

Shopify does things like this on purpose, and they don't see it as a problem. They see it as an opportunity. They deliberately designed it this way, in order to sell more apps. They take a healthy percentage of every dollar we pay for apps.  They know it will frustrate some people enough to leave, but it's so much trouble, most won't, so they don't care.  The only way this will ever be addressed is if they change their entire business model.

betweenthepipes
Tourist
3 0 11

Add my name to the others unsatisfied with this solution. Asking customers for MORE money is a lost sale!

tmay
Tourist
9 0 7

Add my name to the others unsatisfied with this solution. We use Shipstation for all warehouse, popup and OTC  sales along with Quickbooks Commerce product management. We sell on Amazon and have another WooCommerce site also integrated with the above.

Woo has integrated package options, that we match up with Shipstation packages - not perfect but the shipping costs shown to customers is very close and acceptable. Often we make a few extra $$ on the discounted Shipstaion rates.

Todd

WildCoastBrew
Tourist
5 0 6

What's the news on this?  I hope Shopify would have had the ability to recognize a huge issue in their platform and make the proper adjustments.  I have mailers and boxes and no way to easily assing packaging to the correct product.  And it looks like many others are having this quite obvious issue.  So what the hell is the hold up?

tony5280
Shopify Partner
85 6 51

The news on this is that Shopify is rolling out a UI update to the shipping section! It's still the same information, and you still can't assign a box to product but it looks much prettier. 

WildCoastBrew
Tourist
5 0 6

Jesus, how out of touch.  This world is broken.

MHutsen
Visitor
2 0 2

Please add my name to the list for this feature request. We have products that drastically differ in size and weight. Without being able to assign exact weight and dimensions, our customers are going to be drastically overpaying on smaller items, or we are going to have to eat the cost on larger items, neither option is realistic for a small business. 

I also agree that the 3rd party app recommendation isn't really a solution. Paying an additional $5-10 a month to link data already stored in our Shopify admin seems needless and inefficient.

Roshan_Richards
Shopify Partner
36 0 48

Also add my name to the list asking for this feature.  

This should be a standard feature from a provider of shipping. Not many businesses sell only one size of something.  I HAVE A SOLUTION BELOW!!

PROBLEM - I sell many different sizes and weights of products from my store.  If I make the default shiping my smallest box package then my customers who buy mostly small items off of my INTEGRATED Facebook Channel are good and not overpaying for their shipping, but when I get my customers who buy a 5lb bag of Crio Bru off my online store I am losing $3-$5 in shipping because it simply will not fit into the Default Setting Box!  Then, if I set the default shipping box to fit the heavier items in a larger box, I lose ALL of my sales off the FB channel because shipping is now astronomical, not to mention I am overcharging my customers for shipping and prices have gone up so much already the past 2 years. I don't want to do that to them.

SOLUTION - There is a simpe solution to this, Shopify (stay with me)...

Simply keep the default shipping box option, but create a Shipping Exception field in the Shipping section of THE PRODUCT LISTING PAGE we can fill out, if needed, that overrides the default shipping dimensions when activated. You already have a Shipping Section there for us to input product weight. Just add Shipping Box Dimension Override to it.  That way we can put the shipping box dimensions in on larger, bulkier items that won't fit into the default shipping box, and stop losing money or sales.  

It seems to me having Shopify take the time and effort to do this would make their current customers happy, make their product more inticing to newcomers, and make them a ton more money in recouping lost revenue and give them more of a cut on increases sales for us. 

PLEASE DO THIS, SHOPIFY!!

FauxrlbyYasmin
Excursionist
11 0 15

I am equally frustrated.  I sell multiple items with various dimensions and weights and I have all my boxes ready to assign to them, but cannot.  I cannot choose a "default box" for a small hair accessory and also for a large floral arrangement!  Either the customer pays too much (and I lose them), or I continue to get screwed with astronomical shipping costs.  I am a new business, less than 6 months, but I have already lost a lot of money from eating up shipping costs.  I am not in a position to pay for yet another 3rd party App for something Shopify can easily fix for all of us!  Roshan_Richards has a great solution - please address this issue once and for all!

FauxrlbyYasmin
Excursionist
11 0 15

Thank you for being the only Shopify staff member to address our concerns.  But here's what Shopify needs to know:

1) We DO NOT want to pay for an App

2) Adding a "handling fee" as you suggested is absurd.  It still won't cover losses.

3) Assigning shipping boxes and weights to our products should be a BASIC feature that should have been part of the platform from the start - what is holding you back from fixing this?

Can someone please at least tell us what progress has been made?

ShapeShifter
Tourist
3 0 3

Any progress on this issue since 2020? Seems like a basic shipping function that should be part of Shopify core features

andacat
Tourist
6 0 3

Hello, has this by any chance been addressed? I would really like to be able to assign package sizes to *some* products.

I found this thread as I was trying to figure out how to set up shipping for a package weighing 35 lbs that measures 50" x 30" x 3". I don't want to set the default package to this size, as (obvioiusly) every other item's shipping would be billed accordingly; clearly, a package of the same weight measuring 20" x 15" x 7" would incur a much lower rate. A single "default-sized" package just doesn't do the trick.

Seems like this is a very basic need for anyone selling differently-sized items with an expectation to mail them. Please add my name to the list of people requesting this functionality, and I look forward to any updates.

rootandrevelry
Visitor
1 0 2

Hi Finley, this is a must-have feature. The inability to set packages to products makes the custom rate feature completely useless if customers purchase multiple products. Even if I add weights to my products, it then over-charges customers because Shopify thinks it's one single, incredibly heavy box. I can't even use the third-party version of this without upgrading to the Advanced plan. Shopify has been a let-down overall due to a million features just like this - simple features that should be native to the platform are only available with paid apps or insane tiered upgrades. 

juliasoelle
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, have you made this feature yet? 
Otherwise, you can write me on that list too. 

Timothy_LeMaste
Visitor
2 0 0

I would like this as well.

Especially for international shipping. I have a default for smaller orders that works well and works for domestic orders. (my products are very small).

However, things are much different when it comes to international shipping. Had I not been able to squeeze the order into the normal smaller default package it would have cost me an additional $20 shipping on a $40 order.

My shop could work with a weight determinant. From x-y weight uses this default package. Y-z uses this larger package and so on.

HunterCreek
Tourist
5 0 3

Please add my name to this feature request. 

DT108
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi Finley,  

There is very high demand for the ability to tag certain products as "media mail" products, and certain other products as "non-media mail." There are many of us trying to do this with no way to do it on Shopify's basic platform. We are small businesses trying to survive, who don't have the money for Shopify Plus. From what I've read, this can only be done on Shopify Plus. This should be an included function in normal Shopify. The fact that us small businesses (being the most financially insecure) are not able to do this, is very sad. How can we compete when we can't offer cheap shipping for our books? Media mail is for educational materials. Everyone should have access to that.

My name is Scott and I work at Dharma Treasures, which is a bookstore that supports a Buddhist Non-Profit Organization called the Vajrayana Foundation. We just moved to Shopify and are still figuring everything out. Any help you can give us would be much appreciated in this matter. Our email is: store@vajrayana.org

Wishing you a peaceful and inspiring week!

Sincerely,

Scott

Oinks-BBQ-Sauce
Visitor
1 0 12

I'd also like to support this feature. Seems like it would be very basic and has been requested for years.

GeorgeY
Visitor
1 0 17

Please also add me to the list of those that NEED this feature. We just launched our website and didn't realize our shipping would be so completely off. I agree with others who say this is something Shopify should offer. Small businesses simply can't operate this way and it's not fair to make us pay for a plugin for something that should be offered by default.

joshdane
Shopify Partner
33 0 22

I agree that assigning a package to a product is basic and Shopify should include it. 

One thing that helps us, is create a new shipping profile for a few products with weird packaging and just set the shipping rate for those to avoid to getting calculated wrong. 

Mherch
Tourist
4 0 11

This is a basic feature so I don’t know why it’s unavailable on shopify. I sell hats and clothes. Obviously the hats have to be shipped in a box to prevent damage, whereas the close are shipped in soft mailers. The weight of those two packages are different. Then, how will shopify correctly calculate the cost of shipping if someone buys for example, a hat and a sweater. I can’t ship those two items in the small box for the hat or the soft mailer for the clothes. I would need to ship them in a medium sized box. The only thing I can think of is that Shopify would rather make money off of the apps that charge us to do simple things. 

tony5280
Shopify Partner
85 6 51

The only thing I can think of is that Shopify would rather make money off of the apps that charge us to do simple things. 

Yes, unfortunately that is correct, sir.

FauxrlbyYasmin
Excursionist
11 0 15

Exactly!  I sell wreaths and floral arrangements.  I can't put a floral arrangement in a wreath box, nor can I put a wreath in a floral arrangement box.  THIS IS BASIC, SHOPIFY!  Please fix this for all of us.  I don't want to sell all my products on Etsy - I love my Shopify website and it would be PERFECT if only we had this feature.

SessionComponen
Visitor
2 0 2

Add me to the list.

tony5280
Shopify Partner
85 6 51

Meanwhile, Shopify has directed their considerable resources to overhauling their "app recommendation engine" (also known as this forum) so that they can continue to ignore us but in a really fancy, modern way.

PocketShop
Visitor
1 0 3

Please add my name to this feature request. It’s such a simple and important feature that it’s mind-boggling it actually has to be asked and begged for so much. 

cstrahan
Tourist
4 0 8

Frustrated beyond belief over this not being a feature in Shopify.  Or if nothing else admit it and state it can't be done up front.

Put me down for this needing to be a basic function within Shopify.  You are crippling anyone shipping product out.

This is a basic 101 functionality here.  If I would have know this up front, I certainly would have taken my business elsewhere.

cstrahan
Tourist
4 0 8

and to add that I have light weight and heavy products.  how am I supposed to calculate shipping even remotely close to what would be charged.  I see the work around they have suggested, but seriously... this feature should be one of the top 10 things you would need to have figured out before venturing down this road as a business.

Utterly disgusted with this.  Anyone wish to suggest better options out there vs this notShipify nonsense?

TrackYourGoals
Visitor
2 0 3

Not gonna lie, I just signed a client up for the yearly membership. I've been convincing them to switch the merch store to shopify, from a already functioning flawless woo-commerce setup. I'm starting to get annoyed with the paywalls around every corner and regretting the switch.  I figured it would be better and more streamlined, and some things are, but this seems like a basic intuitive function one could expect to have. I honestly was under the impression it was a thing but I guess I was wrong. If shopify takes 2% of annual gross sales they are already making a couple grand of this merger, I don't want to spend any more money to get the services implied to work correctly.

Lets see how it plays out, hopefully we can get this set up so the client isn't taking any losses on shortcomings from a paid subscription service.

Perrystead
Tourist
4 0 9

Not having this feature is obscene in 2022. Most e-commerce system have been enabling every product in every variant to be mapped to a package size for about 20 years now. Why would shopify assume that products can have different weights and prices but you have to have a single default box for all products on your website?

I am really getting more and more annoyed with this primitive system and wanting to go back to BigCommerce. Shopify isn't a fledgling startup but a well funded 15 year old company; this isn't rocket science.

follishop
Visitor
1 0 3

*PLEASE* add this feature, and in the meantime add me to the list of people requesting this.

I'm really struggling to understand the motivation behind Shopify deliberately leaving this feature out. The fact that something this simple yet vital has not been integrated is unbelievable. Miscalculated shipping charges weigh very heavily on small businesses, and I'm nearly at the verge of leaving Shopify because of this.

Please look at the long list of users begging for this and have one of your developers spend 15 minutes to update the site's API.

Omaisonetson
Visitor
1 0 5

I have to add to this thread.

As someone who has tons of sales outside of a website,

I was hoping that creating this shop would make it so much easier for me to manage and of course attract more business. 

the experience with Shopify, has been frankly, horrific.

Every single thing that I need to have a decently functional site, is an add-on and additional cost. 

I have two major pain points. 

1.  Small business’ CANNOT lose money on shipping.

The fact that I can create packages, and add weights to a product but not COMBINE the two, in order to get accurate shipping Quotes is absurd.

So, we’ll lose money or we’ll lose clients because the shipping costs are too high.

I will not pay another $5-10 for an app in order to have a basic function of saving the dimensions of the product so it can be automatically calculated for ACCURATE costs. 

2. variants / choices - I have now PAID other apps to help make this more feasible but it’s still a lost cause. 

tried finding a number to speak to someone with Shopify to talk through everything, and that’s impossible.

So I’m about to cancel the Shopify before I even get it all going because I’ve spent too much time trying to take care of it basic web functions and losing tike to create the 100s of products I already have orders for.

cstrahan
Tourist
4 0 8

so other than BigCommerce, which doesn't look too bad from a first glance, are there any other places worth looking at?

FauxrlbyYasmin
Excursionist
11 0 15

Same here, feeling the pain.  I switched from Square to Shopify, but now I may have to switch to another platform, which is a headache.

betweenthepipes
Tourist
3 0 11

This has to be changed or as soon as there is a decent competator you will loose all of your customers - myself included. It is crazy that I cannot assign a proper package size or combine products to save the customer on shipping. So many lost sales because of this issue!

KRSF
Tourist
3 0 9

Please add me to this never ending list! We've been waiting for so long for this core feature. It's absurd it has not been included by now.

jdainhanson
Tourist
3 0 5

+1 This is ridiculous. 

sjrogers
Visitor
1 0 3

This was posted 2 years ago and is STILL an issue? Didn't realize I had to purchase a bunch of add ons to have a Shopify ecom when I started. Not impressed. 

KRSF
Tourist
3 0 9
Not only was this posted 2 years ago, related threads go back almost 10
YEARS.
KRSF
Tourist
3 0 9

Not only was this posted 2 years ago, related threads go back almost 10
YEARS.

dguyette
Visitor
2 0 9

+1 from someone who isn't holding their breath

Conshy
Visitor
1 0 0

Following this thread, has there been a resolution?