Can Apple Pay create a new customer profile during checkout?

Can Apple Pay create a new customer profile during checkout?

chcsep
Shopify Partner
79 3 32

We require our customers to have accounts. Some of our customers have tags on their accounts/profiles that permit them to access products that are locked via the Locksmith app.

I have a situation where a customer with the email address a@a.com logged in, was able to access the product, and checked out with Apple Pay. However, the order was attributed to a new customer profile with the email address b@b.com, which does not have an account associated with it.

I have tried to reproduce this, but on our checkout page there is no field to enter a different email address, and if I click "log out" I cannot check out unless I log into an account (whereas b@b.com doesn't have an account associated with it). 

The only thing I can guess is that when they paid with Apple Pay, their Apple Pay account must be associated with b@b.com and it created the new user profile for that account. We only switched to Shopify Payments at the beginning of June, at which point Apple Pay, Shop Pay, and Google Pay were enabled by default. I'm going to disable them for now.

Has anyone encountered this? Is it because the customer paid with Apple Pay or is there some other mechanism permitting them to create a new profile on checkout that could still come up? 

Replies 3 (3)

chcsep
Shopify Partner
79 3 32

Update: I've heard back from Shopify Support saying that this is expected behaviour "because a customer can't have two email addresses," which still doesn't explain why they can't just apply the order to the customer's existing entry that simply doesn't have the same email address as their Apple Pay account. 

I've also verified that this happens with Shop Pay accounts too, though not as often (not enough volume on Google Pay to see if it does so too, but presumably it does)

They said they'd pass it along to the dev team, but I'm skeptical that my point got through. I provided a number of suggestions, including giving me an anti-fraud option to reject Apple Pay payments that have a different email address as a logged-in customer, to warn the user that their Apple Pay/Shop Pay account doesn't have the same email account and a new customer account will be created with [email address], or at the very least to send an account invitation to the customer so they have a clue as to why the order isn't appearing on their existing Shopify customer account.

It's a pity that I have to disable Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Shop Pay on my Shopify Payments settings, because it looked like it was fairly popular (especially Shop Pay, about 9x as many as the other two combined), though still a minority of my store's transactions.

WebEarp
8 0 0

We're having the same issue. The the customer doesn't always realize that the payment went through on another email address connected with Apple Pay, so when they look at their Shopify account they don't see it in their order history. This is creating a customer service headache for us as we have to go investigate and assure them we got their order.

CreatDigitalNJ
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

We are facing this issue too.  Did you come up with any solutions?