Solved

Can I use Shopify's payment method as a private individual in Sweden?

khosrow999
Tourist
6 0 0

Hi there,

I am interested in creating a website as a hobby that will provide information for Japanese students who are interested in studying in Sweden. The website will be accessible to everyone for free, but I also want to offer Japanese visitors the opportunity to book online sessions with me for personalized study plan consultations. I plan on charging a fee for this service.

I am a private individual residing in Sweden and I am curious if it is possible for me to use Shopify's payment method to accept credit card payments from Japanese visitors for these online sessions. Do I need to own a company to use Shopify's payment service?

It's worth mentioning that the website's default language will be Japanese, although English will also be available. The visitors will be individuals based in Japan. Additionally, I do not have a company, and my personal bank account is with a Swedish bank. However, I am capable of managing all tax-related matters independently.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Khosrow

Accepted Solution (1)
Ivy
Shopify Staff
1033 82 131

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks for clarifying! Yes, you can use Shopify Payments as an individual. You do not need to own a company. 

I hope this helps to clarify things for you! 

Ivy | Social Care @ Shopify

Out Of Office

-Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)

Ivy
Shopify Staff
1033 82 131

Hi there, @khosrow999.

This sounds like a really cool idea, and very unique! I am sure your experience could prove to be very useful for Japanese students looking into Sweden as a study option. 

As far as what we at Shopify need in order for you to open an account with us, we do not require you to be a company or anything like this. You can simply sign up for a free trial here and go! However, some countries may have their own legal requirements before a person can begin selling like this so if you are unsure, I would definitely advise double-checking what the Swedish legislation is around this with a local expert. 

You also mentioned Shopify's payment gateway (Shopify Payments) in your question. This gateway is available for our merchants in Sweden, and you can read more details on this works and the requirements for Sweden right here. 

My favorite resource for any new merchant is our online course "Getting Started with Shopify". This covers everything you need to know from building your store layout, shipping settings to accepting payments! Definitely worth checking out. I trust this helps, thank you! 

Out Of Office

khosrow999
Tourist
6 0 0

Hello,

Many thanks for quick answer. However, I am not sure if I understand your answer to my question.

My question is: Do I need to own a company to use Shopify's payment service or can I use the Shopify Payment as an individual as well?

I want to be able to charge individuals that need to book online sessions for receiving personalised advice.

Hälsningar, Best regards,

Khosrow Afrasiabi,

+46-72 335 05 01

Ivy
Shopify Staff
1033 82 131

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks for clarifying! Yes, you can use Shopify Payments as an individual. You do not need to own a company. 

I hope this helps to clarify things for you! 

Out Of Office