Solved

Disable Billing address Collection on Checkout

Tom_Murphy
Shopify Partner
19 0 6

Hi There, 
we sell services on our store (so no physical delivery).

Our checkout requires the customer to enter their billing address. Can we disable this requirement? When people pay by credit card, we have had lots of feedback that our customers only want to enter in the:

• name on card
  • credit card number
  • expiry date
  • CVC

They find the current checkout cumbersome having to enter an address.  They also wonder why we are collecting this information - which also reduces conversion. 

If someone can help, that would be really appreciated.

Thanks !

TM

PS We have also enabled express checkout with Paypal and Google Pay

Checkout.png

CRO Expert at Frankie - Personalizing the Shopping experience.
Frankie - empowering merchants in 206 Countries and 31 Currencies.
Accepted Solution (1)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Tom_Murphy,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Really good question and I can completely see where you're coming from. You can edit aspects of the address collection on checkout, but it's not possible to completely disable or remove it. 

20-05-eueec-egdy4

You can shorten the amount of an address someone adds in by removing the second address line. The help guide can be read in full here. I will also submit this as a feature request on your behalf as I can see how this would benefit your business since you are only selling digital products. 

All the best, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 14 (14)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Tom_Murphy,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Really good question and I can completely see where you're coming from. You can edit aspects of the address collection on checkout, but it's not possible to completely disable or remove it. 

20-05-eueec-egdy4

You can shorten the amount of an address someone adds in by removing the second address line. The help guide can be read in full here. I will also submit this as a feature request on your behalf as I can see how this would benefit your business since you are only selling digital products. 

All the best, Nick

HenrySheykin
Tourist
5 0 4

Hi Nick 

Is there a way to avoid filling in the billing address if I distribute free digital downloads?

Henry

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @HenrySheykin,

Good question but the same concept would still apply as I mentioned above regardless if the product is digital or physical. It's not possible to completely remove the address aspect of the checkout if a product is digital, free or otherwise. I took a screenshot from my test store to show there is no possible way to remove this from the settings of the admin: 

17-21-s9bwn-4exjm

It's only possible to remove/hide the address line 2 as highlighted above. 

Tim92
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi Nick

Is it possible to remove all the billing address options on debut theme if can code it out myself?

I'm selling a pdf and the only thing i want to collect is their email. I'm using Stripe and i know professional websites only need email + credit card details to do the checkout so it should in theory be able in Shopify as well? I'm actually quite surprised a billion dollar company does not have this feature..

Tim

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Tim92,

That's a good question. I double-checked with the themes team on this for you. They mentioned that unless you're on Shopify Plus you won’t be able to edit checkout files which is what you'd need to do to remove billing. Even if the product is completely free, this section would still need to be filled out. 

Either way, this is something I would advise against doing as a small mistake could have big implications for the store. Editing code is something that's not in my wheelhouse personally so I wouldn't be able to go into specifics on that. 

PrismInvestors
Visitor
1 0 11

I would really like this option. It seems absurd for me to have to pay for $79 a month Shopify subscription just to disable the billing address for selling digital goods. This needs to be a native option. Customers do not like having to fill in all this personal info for something paid online and super basic. 

rkszn
Visitor
1 0 1

Hello, I would like to edit the checkout files to avoid the user's entering billing info. I am a Shopify Plus member. Can you please let me know how exactly to do this?

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @rkszn,

To edit the checkout once on the Shopify Plus plan in the checkout.liquid file. There is an overview of the checkout.liquid file here and some best practices for editing it here

noui
Visitor
1 0 1

the kind of answer that makes you quit Shopify for BIG COMMERCE, WOO COMMERCE or WIX.

Suresh722
Visitor
1 0 9

Hey Nick,

Just wondering if there has been any updates regarding the billing address requirement? Are we allowed to completely disable this?

sightsizesupply
Visitor
2 0 5

Hello Nick, Following up this feature request. I’m new to Shopify. The friction of having to enter a billing address for FREE digital downloads, and inability to disable them is close to a deal breaker. 

Jennypto
Visitor
1 0 5

Did we have an answer for being able to disable billing adress for free downloads?

Marcheses
Tourist
9 0 4

Bumping this question.  We also have free products.

shopafly
Visitor
1 0 1

Agreed. This would be great. Please advise a simple way to do this!