Does Shopify POS integrate with any EFTPOS machines in Australia?

Kate_Holt
Tourist
3 0 2

Firstly, appolgies if this topic has been discussed recently. I have been on a mission to find an EFTPOS Machine that integrates with Shopify POS for our retail store.  We use ANZ EFTPOS Machine, to which we have to manually add in the sale amount to process the payment.  We have had a few issues with staff making human errors processing payments this way.  It would be ideal for an integrated system to automatically send the amount to our machine.

Has there been an update with any integrated machines in Australia?

Thank you

Replies 24 (24)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi Kate,

Nick here from Shopify.

No need to apologize, it’s not easy to sieve through all the posts in the community to see if something was asked previously, plus it is a very valid question.

Even though Shopify Payments has been released and works in Australia, it is still only available for online transactions. Regarding the model of POS hardware you are looking for, there are two places where you can find POS hardware which is compatible for Australian stores.

• POS99 - I did find the model (EFTPOS) which you are looking for here, but just to make sure all the components you need are Shopify compatible.

• Gorilla Lab - I had a look and don’t believe Gorilla Lab has EFTPOS hardware, but there are some other potential options available should you want to explore them a little and see if they might be an option you might go down.

Regarding the card reader specifically, there is another document with some popular payment processors for card readers in Australia which you can see here. You can see the payment processors below also:

Hopefully, this helps and you can get the equipment you are looking for. Any other questions, don’t hesitate to let me know.

All the best, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

rpbrooks79
Tourist
3 0 2

We have our website and 2 shops now with Shopify Pos. Currently using Tyro to make the payments but Shopify POS only shows external payment, meaning we have to double up on entering the transactions. When we're busy there's no time to enter twice so there's always transactions missing on Shopify. When will integration with an EFTPOS terminal happen? You have it available in USA, UK and Canada. Why not AUS? Thanks

@Nick wrote:

Hi Kate,

Nick here from Shopify.

No need to apologize, it’s not easy to sieve through all the posts in the community to see if something was asked previously, plus it is a very valid question.

Even though Shopify Payments has been released and works in Australia, it is still only available for online transactions. Regarding the model of POS hardware you are looking for, there are two places where you can find POS hardware which is compatible for Australian stores.

• POS99 - I did find the model (EFTPOS) which you are looking for here, but just to make sure all the components you need are Shopify compatible.

• Gorilla Lab - I had a look and don’t believe Gorilla Lab has EFTPOS hardware, but there are some other potential options available should you want to explore them a little and see if they might be an option you might go down.

Regarding the card reader specifically, there is another document with some popular payment processors for card readers in Australia which you can see here. You can see the payment processors below also:

Hopefully, this helps and you can get the equipment you are looking for. Any other questions, don’t hesitate to let me know.

All the best, Nick

Artisanchemist
Visitor
1 0 1
We are ready to jump on board asap once it's offered!
It's like everything else has been integrated and works flawlessly except for the most important part, the transaction, where after all the hard work, order creation, packing, systems, automated emailing of receipts... Etc... Instead of the transaction being charged for $250 on the terminal, due to human error, $2.50 was charged and now it's too late... And this could all be something of the past if it's just integrated!!

Please bring it over asap
Jennifer12345
Visitor
1 0 1

Are there any updates here? When will Shopify POS offer an EFTPOS integration here in Australia?

Thanks

Jennifer

petermilburn
Tourist
5 0 2

If an update could be provided that would be great. I along with others would use the shopify POS if I could use my existing terminals

LibbyMcLean
Tourist
5 0 5

Hi Nick,

This is an old thread but I cannot find any recent discussions showing a solution for the issue of external merchant facilities that will sync with the Shopify POS app in Australia.

I have a TYRO eftpos machine (from when our POS was from VEND) as as we switched to online selling exclusively during Covid I want to keep everything streamlined and have migrated to the Shopify POS for the reopen of our bricks and mortar - testing the system this week (prior to re-opening to the public next Wed 28th Oct) I have found that there seems to be nowhere in the Shopify POS settings where I can link up our merchant terminal and have it work with Shopify - this seems like a big oversight and something that surely there is a fix for.... can you please help?? 

Thank you (desperate) Libby!

bn2019
Excursionist
12 0 4

Nothing has happened, an I doubt it ever will, regarding integrated EFTPOS for Shopify POS. We went with another POS that integrates with our Shopify web site, using Tyro EFTPOS. Our retail shop is much busier than the web site, so we weren't going to wait any longer for a solution from Shopify.

petermilburn
Tourist
5 0 2
Can you let me know what the POS was that you used for your bricks and
mortar shop front

Thanks

Pete Milburn

WoodyBrighton
Excursionist
20 0 8

Hi there Aussies,

We have Vend for our physical store and Commbank EFTPOS, we use Shopify for our online store. There is integration between Vend and Shopify but it has quite a lot of problems.

So considering Shopify POS for our physical store... but there does not seem to be a physical payment solution for Shopify POS. This would be a dealbreaker. Is there any EFTPOS solution which is intergated with Shopify POS? 

thanks

Andrew

bn2019
Excursionist
12 0 4
We use Hikeup for our POS and Shopify online. It integrates fairly well and
also integrates with Xero etc. So paying for the Shopify POS in the plan for
our web site is a bit irksome.
WoodyBrighton
Excursionist
20 0 8

Hi bn2019 thank you kindly, I will check them out.

I was hoping to use Shopify POS and be done with running 2 platforms. Shopify POS looks like it can do what we need. Just need a physical EFTPOS payment solution. Square might be an option, I'm investigating.

thanks!

bn2019
Excursionist
12 0 4
We do use a Square stand and reader for overflow. The fees are a bit higher but there’s no subscription fee so it works for us. I suspect Shopify aren’t interested in dealing with banks for eftpos because they get all the transactions & fees and now Shop Pay as well.
princegh
5 0 0

Hi Andrew, 

did you reach somewhere with this?

princegh
5 0 0

Hi Libby, 

Found a solution?

Kate_Holt
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi Nick,  

Thank you for your reply.  I'm specifically looking for a card reader for our retail (brick & mortar) store.  We have payment express as our online payment gateway, I did speak to them regarding their EFTPOS Terminals for our physical store however they do not integrate with Shopify.

I haven't heard of the other options so I will look further into those.

Thank you

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi Kate, 

No problem at all. 

I couldn't find the EFTPOS terminal specifically in the Shopify compatible section search on POS99 but did find other parts of their equipment and maybe that explains why. The links above are all the POS hardware sites I know Shopify has compatible hardware with for Australia, so hoping you can find one which suits your needs. 

All the best, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

NFM
Visitor
1 0 0

We are also in need of integrated EFTPOS for our shopify site and are yet to find a solution. Any help would be appreciated!

bn2019
Excursionist
12 0 4

Hi,

We have a Shopify website, and would change from our current POS (which has integrated EFTPOS) to Shopify POS in a heartbeat if it was offered. Integrated EFTPOS is a deal breaker for us. If we can't get it on Shopify POS, we'll look at another web/POS combo that does offer it.

jason3w
Shopify Partner
21 1 16

Same boat here. 

Looking for integrated POS/EFTPOS and might have to leave Shopify to get it it seems. 

Looks like they are holding out so they can cash in on making it only work with their own payment gateway... 

Kate_Holt
Tourist
3 0 2

Thank you Nick, really appreciate your help.  I will investigate the links and reply back on here if I should find a EFTPOS machine that suits my needs.

Kate

Spice
Visitor
1 0 0

2022 update. STILL no solution or ETA from Shopify on this issue.

The WiseCard 3 terminals which are integrated to Shopify POS do not accept EFTPOS only cards, nor do they allow the customer to select their preferred account should there be multiple linked to the same card, it defaults to routing through Credit. This leads to some understandably irritated customers and really sours their experience.

We are currently paying for an additional, unintegrated, EFT terminal to service these customers with inevitable processing errors being made by staff when manually processing these sales.

Has anyone found a 3rd party payment terminal that accepts EFTPOS and can be integrated with Shopify POS? Searching the App store returns no useful results. Absurd that this issue remains outstanding 4 years on from the original query.

hjyoung
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

I think they wont ever allow an additional EFTPOS terminal integration due to the fact they have their own Shopify Payments (using the wisepad)

But the fees are just so high! 

We should be allowed to use shopify payments for online (to avoid the penalty fee) and then integrate a secondary eftpos machine for POS Pro. We are paying a premium for the program we should not be restricted! I absolutely love POS PRO and set this up for so many clients but it can only be for the smaller businesses with only a few staff then arent super tech savvy (it allows them to have online and instore all in one system seamlessly which for a non tech savvy person is ideal).

I wonder if an app can be created via API? 

NickyJ1
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi Spice the wisepad 3 does eftpos now, if you haven't seen yet

jason3w
Shopify Partner
21 1 16

That's fine if you want to pay Shopify's much higher merchant rates.