Free shipping being applied when settings say otherwise

Solved
54blue
2 0 1

I'm having a problem that I cannot explain. An order has been placed that is clearly below the $70 threshold for free shipping but has received free shipping. I have replicated an identical order for the same item and address and the shipping works correctly.

There is only the general shipping profile being used and all items are grouped in this profile. The item is checked as a physical product that needs to be shipped and has a value entered in for weight. There has not been a coupon code for free shipping nor one ever been created.

Can anyone help or give me some guidance as to what may be the problem? Thank you.

shipping ratesshipping ratesorder summaryorder summary

0 Likes
June
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
267 84 49

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @54blue,

First, thank you for including so much detail in your question! That's so helpful and rules out quite a few possible reasons for what we're seeing here. 

Just to clarify, this order was definitely placed after these shipping rates had been set and saved? 

I would ask to replicate the order on my end, but it sounds like you've already taken the time to do so - another awesome troubleshooting step! When you did this, you found that the correct shipping rate ($8.98) was applied, yes? 

My next question is: have you fulfilled the order? If not, since I imagine this is an isolated incident, you may wish to send your customer an additional invoice for the correct shipping rate. You can do so by creating a draft order, then choosing "Add custom item" (see below). Definitely don't hesitate to let me know if you run into any questions or challenges in the process!

16-15-97044-97275

As for why this occurred in the first place, I'm definitely not seeing any evidence of why that might be, taking a look at your shipping settings here. I would ordinarily recommend contacting our support team to take a closer look, however not only do I feel as though you've done a great job ruling out the typical factors that may have cause this, I'm also fairly confident this will be an isolated event. All of that said, you are more than welcome to connect with our team (via the link I've shared) and absolutely let me know if you encounter any other similar orders.

Thanks so much and have a great weekend! 

June | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
54blue
2 0 1

Thanks for the response @June

The two problem orders were definitely placed after the rates had been set up and saved. I have replicated both orders that have 2 very different shipping locations the past 2 days and both have always reflected the $8.98 shipping rate. At the end of the day, it doesn't appear to be any reason why there was any error so I am chalking it up as one of those weird one-offs.