Gift Card Code in Draft Order / Backend Order

david_adam
Tourist
6 0 12

Couldn't find this question via search:

When creating an order from the admin backend, is it possible to use a gift card for payment?

Replies 21 (21)

Lulu
Shopify Staff
911 87 223

Hey, @david_adam!

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thanks for reaching out here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out

At the moment it is not possible to use a gift card as a payment method when creating orders manually through the admin. The only workaround that I can think of as an alternative, is when creating an order in drafts and marking it as paid, include a note in the order that this was "paid" with a gift card, and then you can always disable the gift card in the admin if the funds are fully used. You also have the option of creating the order the same way a customer would through the checkout, including their information and using the gift card normally through the checkout but this would just send them an order confirmation instead of an invoice.

I will also certainly pass this up as a feature request to our products team as it is a great idea that a lot of people would benefit from. At Shopify, we pride ourselves on the continued growth and development of our platform, and we are only able to strive towards this goal with feedback and comments from merchants just like you. There is never a guarantee that a request will get a Green Light, or make it to a product launch, but we really do appreciate you reaching out with your suggestion, as I’m sure you’re not the only merchant with this request.

Let me know if there is anything else at all that I can help you with!

Kind regards,

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

david_adam
Tourist
6 0 12

Hi @Lulu ,

this is really a bummer... We have a lot of order placed by phone and we had hoped that we wouldn't have to create a custom checkout app.

I actually have a ton of ideas for what could be added/improved, where is the best place to submit them?

Lulu
Shopify Staff
911 87 223

Hi, @david_adam!

Thanks for getting back to me. I know it would be a handy feature for sure. You can certainly take orders on the phone and mark them paid by card, it just doesn't work the same way with gift cards I'm afraid. We have a guide in our help centre here on draft orders so be sure to check it out.

A custom checkout app would only work if you were on the Shopify Plus plan as there isn’t actually the ability to edit the code for the checkout. The primary reasons behind not being able to edit the checkout CSS are around security, responsiveness, and maintaining PCI compliance. If we had customized checkouts, any updates or improvements that we wanted to make would have to be made on a store-by-store basis. As you can imagine, this would take a very long time! It would also make the customer suffer if the checkout was then glitchy/not updated correctly. We still allow you to customize your checkout style (as noted in this guide), such as changing the colours and adding a banner to the top of the checkout page. However, ultimately these systems are in place with the primary focus of making our platform more secure for you and your customers. 

Regarding the feedback, you can pass it on to me here to me or you can send it to us by email, chat or phone us about it using this link. We are always happy to pass on any feedback from our merchants and we really appreciate it too as it helps us grow.

Kind regards,

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

Thebeergals
Tourist
9 0 15

Just wondering in the past 12 months has this been made possible, 

if you are able to issue Gift cards in shopify surely you can use the code as a part payment

Looking forward to your response

Kind regards

Georgina

bdeaw
Shopify Partner
59 1 55

We would really love this feature in an update. It would save us a lot of hassle. 

Stashfabricvt
Tourist
3 0 10

Has Shopify created a solution to this yet?  I am a new shop that has issued a lot of girt cards...It would be great to have a way to redeem them from admin.

Thanks

Thebeergals
Tourist
9 0 15

HI 

Is it possible to have this applied to our stores, we have a large number of customers who place online orders but collect and pay when they arrive into the store, we have to reduce the value of the product by the amount of the amount of credit we issue them with as they are recycling their empty kegs . . . By reducing the product price we are messing with our financials which isn't ideal
This thread has been active for nearly 3 years now . . . with no solution

bdeaw
Shopify Partner
59 1 55

I'm beyond frustrated that this is STILL not available. 

AlSchraderberg
Shopify Partner
1 0 5

An update on the progress of this would be highly valued.

ghkb
Tourist
3 0 9

Lulu, this feature is essential for many businesses. Please inform the decision makers. Thank you!

RogeroK
Tourist
3 0 5

Hello, i want to request this feature also as it's very much needed and i was waiting for Shopify to implement it from some time now but it doesn't seem that will ever happen unfortunately which is a shame really... 2023 and still nothing.

c4
Visitor
1 0 2

This is an essential feature for change orders! Please update this thread!

bdeaw
Shopify Partner
59 1 55

I need this option too. A ton of folks come in to the store to shop and want us to use the gift card for them rading an invoice to them.

Nailify
Tourist
3 0 9

This feature most be added, can be in the same section where we take credit card paiement. It's a none sense to not accept gift card created in the same online store.

SteveLionsPride
Tourist
3 0 9

Hello Lulu,

It is almost 2023 and as far as I can tell, it is still not possible to redeem a gift card in draft orders.

How is this still not possible?  I am familiar with the "work around" and I am not interested in using it.

Can you please provide us with an update to this request?  

Thank you.

Steve

Sam-123
Shopify Partner
36 0 43

Any updates on this? It's 2023 and we need a way to customers to use their gift cards on draft orders. Or have the ability at LEAST to edit the sales tax line items. Why can't we edit any line items, such as sales tax on draft orders. It messes with the finances to 'mark as paid' for the full amount and only charge the customer the amount minus the gift card. It skews everything. It's 2023 and it's so frustrating that Shopify doesn't have basic ecommerce functionality. I always find myself being boxed in with Shopify, really makes me miss our old platform on WooCommerce. I hate having to come up with makeshift solutions that absolutely suck. Come on @Shopify empower merchants to run their business, not cripple them! 

hollysharpe01
Visitor
2 0 3

We need to use this feature too! It would also be helpful to have a split payment option if we are checking someone out who has a gift card and a remaining balance to be paid after the gift card is applied. How can you not have this most basic functionality???

ColorMyJeep
Visitor
1 0 1

Any update on this? It's 2024 and a much needed feature! 

WorkshopTE
Visitor
1 0 6

Anyone lknow if this is a feature yet, at the moment we are having to use the pos app and take payments over the phone if the total is being paid part by gift card?

SarahMMoore1
Excursionist
17 0 7

Would also like to know if there have been changes made to this yet

theonlytoshka
Shopify Partner
4 0 4

2024 and still not a word from Shopify... just shows how much they care about our needs