How can I enable multi currency checkout in India without Shopify payments?

harshkmr10
5 0 0

I am in India and I want to get the multi currency checkout at my Shopify page and in India there is no Shopify payment supported till now so I have to convert my store currency you to USD so if I convert to USD then I access to Shopify payments but there is SSN number or any mail documents documents should be written to Shopify then they will activate me or on board me so I in India I don't have these documents so I shifted to INR and addressed my business address to India.

If I choose to India I must have a Shopify payments to get a multicurrency checkout so I don't have second option

Replies 2 (2)

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 258

Hi, @harshkmr10.

To confirm and reiterate your point, the Shopify Payments gateway is currently a hard requirement for stores wanting to enable multi-currency on checkout. There isn't a workaround for this I'm afraid, this is currently a limitation of our Shopify Markets feature as explained in this guide.

In regards to using Shopify Payments US, please note that Shopify Payments accounts are mostly region-specific. So in order to be eligible, you'll need to provide valid personal and business registration information for the region that you're looking to sign up for — for the US, the documents listed in this guide are required to be submitted to our verification team.

So if you don't have those documents but would still like to offer customers the ability to checkout in USD, your only other option here is to completely change your store's selling currency to USD. As long as your payment gateway supports USD, which a lot of them do, you can follow the instructions below to update your store's selling currency:

1. In your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Store details.
  2. In Store currency, select new currency.
  3. Click Save.

If you've made a sale on your store, you won't be able to change the currency directly from your admin, so you'll need to contact our live support team so that we can help make the change from our end. To contact our live support team, please navigate to our Help Center here, and type contact support in the chat box. Follow the prompts given by the virtual chat assistant from there, and you should see the option to connect with a live support team member. Our team will be able to assist you further from there.

I definitely understand how important it is to be able to offer multi-currency on checkout, and can see the benefits of expanding this feature for stores using other payment gateways outside of Shopify Payments. Because of this, I'll be sure to pass on your thoughts to our internal development team for consideration, so that they're aware of the concerns that you've shared with us here via the Community Forums. While we can't guarantee if or when features are implemented, you can check our Changelog here for the most recent updates to our platform.

In the meantime and as another alternative, you can also explore a range of currency converter apps on our Shopify App Store here. Just a note that these apps will only display a different currency to customers up until checkout, so customers are still required to checkout in the store's default currency if Shopify Payments isn't active on the store. While I know it's not quite the same as offering multi-currency directly on the checkout page, this is the closest alternative available at this stage for stores not on Shopify Payments — so I recommend exploring this option further to see if that'll suit your business' needs.

Kimi | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

nadk666
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey, thanks for the detailed reply. Is Shopify planning to extend Shopify Payments to India anytime soon?