Solved

how to add Shipping rate as per item quantity?

ShubhamEkade
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hello Team,

I need to set the shipping rate as per item quantity.

For Example:

User buy ABC product and ABC product having a shipping rate $10.

if ABC product quantity = 1 then shipping charges = $10.

If ABC  product quantity = 2 then shipping charges  = $20

Please let me know, How we can achieve this? 

I am using a free minimal theme and Shopify $79 plan.

Thanks In Advance 🙂  

Accepted Solution (1)

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @ShubhamEkade,

Hyde here to help. That's an interesting one!

Shopify allows you to set shipping rates for the price and weight of the product, as opposed to quantity. There's more on that here. So you may need to massage your set-up process a little to meet your needs. What you could do is set up rates according to the weight of the products.

What this means is that if the user buys product ABC with a shipping rate of $10, then you set a second rate for 2 products that is $20 and so on so that it looks like this:

20-03-chusb-16w9o

Remember that when you're editing/adding a rate you can determine whether it's based on the weight or price of the order by selecting "Add Conditions":

20-03-5b3na-h0h7i

Bear in mind too that you have the option to create different rates according to profiles of products and collections. So you could also group products together in specific profiles that charge different rates too. There's more on Shipping Profiles here.

I hope this helps, but I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have.

All the best, Hyde.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 27 (27)

PluginHive
Shopify Partner
797 31 100

You can use the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app to achieve this. Within the app, you can create multiple rules based on the order quantity (as per your requirement) and set up a flat rate for each rule. 

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
Jonenri
Shopify Partner
4 0 14

Great so pay $29 a month (because I will be selling more than 100 items per month) for an App that sure has lots of functionality (that I do not need) for a single need, QTY based shipping setup is absurd. Time to write some code and bypass shopify inability to satisfy customers. 

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @ShubhamEkade,

Hyde here to help. That's an interesting one!

Shopify allows you to set shipping rates for the price and weight of the product, as opposed to quantity. There's more on that here. So you may need to massage your set-up process a little to meet your needs. What you could do is set up rates according to the weight of the products.

What this means is that if the user buys product ABC with a shipping rate of $10, then you set a second rate for 2 products that is $20 and so on so that it looks like this:

20-03-chusb-16w9o

Remember that when you're editing/adding a rate you can determine whether it's based on the weight or price of the order by selecting "Add Conditions":

20-03-5b3na-h0h7i

Bear in mind too that you have the option to create different rates according to profiles of products and collections. So you could also group products together in specific profiles that charge different rates too. There's more on Shipping Profiles here.

I hope this helps, but I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have.

All the best, Hyde.

ShubhamEkade
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hi

Thanks for your quick response 🙂 

I Implemented your solutions and works fine but showing an error at the top of the shipping rate on the checkout page.

Please refer to the below screenshot.

Is that warning or error?

Screenshot (51).png

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

This usually means that the order weight or price falls outside of the rates that you have created in your store admin. 

When you're putting your rates into, please ensure that there is no overlap. In other words, if you're using product prices for the condition, make sure that if a customer orders a product that costs $45 for example, that products for that price-range only fall within one particular rate. 

It could look something like this:
20-03-c9yfo-kkcg0

I'd recommend you have a look at your rates again to ensure that you have a minimum and maximum weight/price condition set so that the system knows what to charge for shipping when an order comes through.

All the best, Hyde.

Nadamoo
Visitor
1 0 0

Are you sure this is how this works? 

When I add new shipping rates with a weight condition like so it doesn't work.Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 7.51.39 PM.png

Is it weight on a per item basis?  It still shows the shipping rate for just the one, no matter how many I buy. 

EMG96
Visitor
1 0 23

This should be a built-in feature, not something where we have to mess around with weight or price. For stores with hundreds or thousands of products, this is not practical to set up. And we should not have to install a paid app either. 

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

When shipping your products with any courier they will want to know the weight of the package and, in many cases, the cost of the items inside the package. This is why Shopify offers you the option to create shipping rates for your products based on their weight or price. The number of products you have in store, therefore, doesn't really matter precisely because the rates do not apply to individual products.

The rates you create are used as rules that the system can measure each order against and charge the customer accordingly so that you are not out of pocket. Of course, if you're struggling with this or want something easier, you could always create a flat rate instead. That is outlined in this guide here.

All the best, Hyde.

Erinb3325
Visitor
1 0 2

I'm having the same problem. When I offer differnt shipping options based on a certain amount, my customers always select the lowest option regardless of the amount of their order. For some reason Shopify does't automatically apply the right amount upon checkout? 

I have figured out how to apply a certain rate for each group of items, but I would like it to apply to each product and quantity ordered.

scoopercleaner
Visitor
2 0 16

"This should be a built-in feature, not something where we have to mess around with weight or price. For stores with hundreds or thousands of products, this is not practical to set up. And we should not have to install a paid app either. "

Exactly! Is Shopify working on this?

7over
Excursionist
22 0 41

The ability to charge my customers a shipping fee that is different than what the carrier is charging me should be an included feature of Shopify. For instance, I may want to charge my customers a $5.00 flat rate to ship 1, 2, or 3 items but give them free shipping if they put 4 items in the cart. I don't care if the carrier charges me $8.80 for that ground shipping and my customer does not care either. 

It's silly to have to try to game the system by manipulating the weight of each item in shopify. It should be trivial for Shopify to enable Ship Rate by Item Count for Store Owners.

tastesofmargs
Visitor
1 0 9

You are so right! Shopify has gone very quiet on this ..................?

Anindita
Shopify Partner
675 34 95

Hi @tastesofmargs 

Quantity based shipping is not currently offered on Shopify without the use of an app. For getting quantity-based rates you have to rely on apps, I would like to suggest Multi Carrier Shipping Label app. The app allows you to set flat rates based on the number of your products. You can also set multiple shipping rules based on your needs. 

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
7over
Excursionist
22 0 41

Anindita,

It's good to see that someone in Shopify has finally seen this thread and responded. However, Shopify's refusal to listen to customers about this feature is poor form. It is trivial for Shopify to enable Ship Rate by Item Count, and baffling that it has not been done by now.

FrabelStudio
Visitor
1 0 9

Yes, Instead of building one for your customers in which we pay monthly to use your platform, we should pay more for a 3rd party app because that's what your entire business model is about. Lack in features which 3rd party providers create making you and them more money. Unbelievable 

Joewin
Visitor
1 0 5

I am running into the same problem. I had an App, and due to lack of revenue, I had to get arid of ALL paid apps, This is such a typical function, I didn't think I would run into Shopify not being able to support it. I have an order now (05/09/22) I am probably going to refund the customer as they bought 5 of something which I charge 7.95 for shipping and my vendor wants to charge 36.00.... This is nuts....

Jonenri
Shopify Partner
4 0 14

Squareup offers a free eCommerce storefront WITH included ability to ship per QTY. I've build stores on both platforms. Shopify pay per app function is what makes me leave every time. 

7over
Excursionist
22 0 41

EMG96, you are absolutely correct. This SHOULD be a built in feature and we should not have to try to game the system so that we can offer our customers shipping rates based on item counts. Shopify's suggestion that the way to solve this problem is with a paid app is tone deaf. 

Joe_Sloan
Shopify Partner
31 0 7

The problem with this approach is our store sells products based on weight. We sell sand. Consider a customer buys 2 25 lbs bags of different sands (cart total is 50 lbs. but shipping should be $20 ($10 per box)) another customer purchases 1 50 lbs. bag ($10/shipping) with this set up the shipping rates would both be seen as $10 which is not accurate. Please implement a solution for shipping by product quanity.

Caztravels
Visitor
1 0 6

Yes. It’s a disgrace this isn’t possible.

And FYI Shopify, in the UK parcels are primarily charged according to size, not weight at all. Therefore fiddling around with weights for each product isn’t necessarily helpful at all. 

Daniel_1990
Tourist
59 0 3

Suppose you're looking to configure shipping rates based on the number of items purchased on your Shopify store. In that case, we're here to assist you. By implementing a simple adjustment to your shipping settings, you can ensure that your customers are charged the appropriate shipping fees based on the quantity of a specific product. Let's explore how you can achieve this:

Step 1: Accessing Shipping Settings in Shopify

1. Log in to your Shopify admin panel.
  2. Navigate to the "Settings" tab located on the left-hand side.
  3. From the dropdown menu, select "Shipping and Delivery."

Step 2: Define Custom Shipping Zones

1. Scroll down to the "Shipping zones" section and click on the desired zone (e.g., "Rest of the world").
  2. Click the "Add rate" button to create a new shipping rate.

Step 3: Setting Up Shipping Rates Based on Quantity

1. In the "Add rate" section, enter a name for the shipping rate (e.g., "ABC Product Quantity-based Shipping").
  2. Under the "Conditions" section, select "Based on order weight" and set the weight range to accommodate the maximum quantity of the ABC product you expect to ship.
  3. Choose the desired "Price based on" option (e.g., "Set a fixed price").
  4. Enter the appropriate shipping rate based on the maximum quantity (e.g., $10 for one item, $20 for two items).
  5. Save your settings.

Step 4: Repeat for Other Shipping Zones (if applicable)

1. If you have multiple shipping zones, repeat steps 2 and 3 for each zone where you want to apply quantity-based shipping rates.
  2. Adjust the shipping rates according to your desired pricing structure for each zone.

Step 5: Test and Verify

1. Place test orders in your store with varying quantities of the ABC product.
  2. During checkout, ensure that the shipping charges accurately reflect the quantity-based rates you've set.

Conclusion: By following these steps, you can easily set up shipping rates based on the quantity of a specific product, such as the ABC product, on your Shopify store. This way, your customers will be charged the appropriate shipping fees depending on the quantity they purchase. Remember to test the functionality thoroughly to ensure accurate calculations. If you encounter any issues or have further questions, please reach out to Shopify's customer support team for assistance.

Note: The steps provided are based on general instructions and may vary slightly depending on your specific theme or any additional apps you have installed. It's always a good idea to consult Shopify's official documentation or reach out to their support team for detailed instructions tailored to your setup.

7over
Excursionist
22 0 41

Daniel,
Your detailed solution is outlined in the "Accepted Solution" at the beginning of this thread. It is a workaround that works for some, but should not have to be done by anyone and is not practical for stores with hundreds or thousands of items. 
It's an "accepted solution" that is really not acceptable at all. Shopify should include this option in the base product.

Magee
Excursionist
17 0 10

Couldn't agree more. This is not an acceptable solution at all. As @Joe_Sloan pointed out in their instance, not every item increases incrementally by weight like this. 9 times out of 10 the weight that we calculate includes the packaging (box, tube or whatever) the item is getting shipped in. This combined weight can't be multiplied out to match the number of items a user may purchase. Otherwise shipping costs go through the roof and are in no way accurate, or realistic.

This is basic functionality of an online store. To charge customers a monthly subscription to open a store and then offer another third party app as a solution to fundamental functionality is a disgrace to be honest.

Being able to adjust shipping rates based on quantity NEEDS to be implemented by Shopify without expecting us to pay for another third party app.

sniper2804
Shopify Partner
384 25 65

Hi @Magee @7over ,
If you are open to free third party app solutions, you can checkout ShipMagic app.

It will help you setup quantity based, product based and customer based shipping rates easily.

Automate & bulk assign products to shipping profile: Auto Shipping Profiles: Shipr
Calculate accurate shipping rates: Shipping Calculator: ShipMagic
Hide, rename, reorder payment methods at checkout: Payment Customization: PayMix
CCdesigner
Tourist
5 0 2

Thanks sniper 2804

for a practical solution that's free.

I'll  see how it works to set quantity based shipping rates and report back here if it's a good solution. We all want to keep our overheads down and save time .

tomasg26
Tourist
3 0 0

@CCdesigner did you try it? Any news?

sniper2804
Shopify Partner
384 25 65

Hi @tomasg26 , just an update. We have moved to paid plans since September 21st, 2023.

Automate & bulk assign products to shipping profile: Auto Shipping Profiles: Shipr
Calculate accurate shipping rates: Shipping Calculator: ShipMagic
Hide, rename, reorder payment methods at checkout: Payment Customization: PayMix