Solved

How to authenticate a business identity when we are a government department?

TSMEdu
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi there,

Our team received an email informing us that our Shopify Payments will cease after a certain time and we will be unable to receive payouts from buyers until we provide Proof of ID (photo, driver's licence or photo) to authenticate our store.

However, how do we authenticate a business identity when we are part of a government department? 

Regards,

The School Magazine, NSW Department of Education 

Accepted Solution (1)

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @TSMEdu!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for reaching out around the verification requirements for Shopify Payments. At any time, Shopify and its banking partners might ask you to verify your identity. In most cases, this requires you to submit a picture of a piece of government-issued photo identification, along with any required supporting business documentation. It's important to note that the ID needs to be provided by the account owner that matches the date of birth and other details provided when you signed up for Shopify Payments.

If any verification is required for your business, then the account owner can upload the required documents from a banner that appears on your Shopify Home page. During verification, your payouts might be placed on hold until your identity is verified, but usually, your store remains open and customers can usually still buy your products.

If the account is listed in the businesses name and not an individuals name, my recommendation would be to contact the live support team to help you out.

It looks like we’ll need to access your account in order to resolve this issue. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V and log in to your account to create a support request.

Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Thanks!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @TSMEdu!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for reaching out around the verification requirements for Shopify Payments. At any time, Shopify and its banking partners might ask you to verify your identity. In most cases, this requires you to submit a picture of a piece of government-issued photo identification, along with any required supporting business documentation. It's important to note that the ID needs to be provided by the account owner that matches the date of birth and other details provided when you signed up for Shopify Payments.

If any verification is required for your business, then the account owner can upload the required documents from a banner that appears on your Shopify Home page. During verification, your payouts might be placed on hold until your identity is verified, but usually, your store remains open and customers can usually still buy your products.

If the account is listed in the businesses name and not an individuals name, my recommendation would be to contact the live support team to help you out.

It looks like we’ll need to access your account in order to resolve this issue. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V and log in to your account to create a support request.

Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Thanks!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.