International Shipping - What does this look like during checkout?

KelMurphy
Excursionist
19 0 5

Hi there!

I'm in the US and do not currently offer international shipping, but am considering it. For the items I sell, only certain ones would be able to be shipped internationally. My question is: if someone say, from the UK visits my shop and goes to checkout, will they see ALL of my shipping options, or only those for that particular location? Will they also be seeing the US shipping choices? I'm trying to figure out if I need to reword my shipping selections - so they say "US" or "International", etc. 

I should mention that I'm coming from an Etsy shop, so this was obviously much easier there. During checkout you would only see the options that were for your specific location...I'm hoping it's the same here!

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!
Kel

Reply 1 (1)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @KelMurphy,

Thank you for getting in touch! When a customer proceeds to checkout and enters in their address, they will only see available shipping rates for their country or region. The Shopify checkout uses the customer's address to determine which rates they are eligible for, and then displays the appropriate rates. This means that US customers will not see rates listed in the UK shipping zone and vice-versa, so you don't need to qualify the location in your shipping rates (e.g. "UK standard shipping").

This rule also applies to other conditions, such as the weight or price of the customer's order. For example, if you offer free shipping for orders over $100, if a customer's cart has a value of less than $100, they will not be presented with this shipping option at checkout. Customers can only see the shipping rates they are eligible to choose based on the weight and price of their order, along with their location.

As you're considering shipping internationally, I would recommend checking out this article on the Shopify Blog: International Shipping: Everything You Need to Know to Deliver Beyond Your Borders. The article covers everything from creating an international shipping strategy to how you should package your orders, and covers many of the considerations you should make when beginning to sell outside of your own country.

I hope this has been helpful but please let me know if you have further questions.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog