Live in the UK but want store in USD. I have a US address and a US bank account. Help.......

Simon60
Tourist
5 0 2

Hi

I live in the UK. I am in the process of opening my new Shopify store and will be selling in the USA. Obviously when I have set up my store it has automatically put the currency into GBP. I know there are coding options to have a currency drop down menu to show prices in USD but when going to checkout it defaults to GBP.

I am fortunate to have a property in the USA and a USA bank account. 

I have tried setting up my store using my US address but as I go through setting up the details it asks for a social security number which I don't have as I am a UK citizen.

is there any way I can set my store up so that it will run as if I am in the USA and so it will all be in USD and I can accept Shopify payments through my US bank account.

i really hope someone can help me with this as I have spoken with other people who are saying that they are losing a lot of customers when the shopping cart shows the price in GBP and they then abandon the cart and a sale is lost.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

kind regards

Simon

Shay9
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
107 0 26

Hi, Simon!

I’m Shay, a Shopify Guru. 

If you don't have an SSN our Shopify Payments team may be able to switch your account over to an US Shopify Payments one if your business is registered in the US with the IRS. If you do so or have done so already, reach out to the Guru team so we can let the fine folks who oversee Shopify Payments know. 

Otherwise, off the top of my head I don't know of any payment gatways that allow USD for a UK domiciled merchant, but we do connect with a rather lengthy list of options, perhaps one of them may work for you, you can see that list here: https://www.shopify.ca/payment-gateways/united-kingdom. That does mean a transaction fee will apply to your account, keep in mind (2% on Basic, 1% on Pro, .5% on Advanced, 0% on Plus). Or, you could go with a payment method such as bank transfer and they can send the funds to your US bank account in USD, check out more info on that and other custom payment methods here: https://help.shopify.com/manual/payment-settings/custom-methods.

Best, 

Shay
Guru | Shopify