FROM CACHE - en_header

Option to pay by invoice at check out?

tinman76
Tourist
14 0 3

Hi there,

Looking to add an option in our shopping cart for "pay by invoice" which would bypass any requirement to enter cc details etc, and would effectively just email the unpaid order to us as an FYI to generate the invoice. How would you go about doing this?

Replies 9 (9)
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1479 140 334

Hi @tinman76,

Thank you for reaching out today with your question. You can do this by setting up a manual payment method, which can be activated in Settings > Payment providers:

19-10-zjzo0-87d0o

When choosing a manual payment method from the drop-down here, you can choose create a custom method that can be used for the "Pay by Invoice" option you wanted to set up. You'll be able to enter in information that the customer will see regarding this payment method:

19-10-x8djg-seb7k

You can then include here all relevant information you feel the customer should be provided with. Once this is activated, the customer will see this option at checkout and will not be required to enter in their credit card details if they choose "Pay by Invoice" instead.

I hope this explains things but please let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

tinman76
Tourist
14 0 3

Thank you, now my last remaining requirement is to hide the invoice option from customers unless they are tagged as B2B. Is this possible?

Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1479 140 334

Hi @tinman76,

This is a little more complicated. It isn't possible within the Shopify admin to enable a payment method for select customers only, so the method I have suggested will display to all customers, not just B2B ones.

My recommendation would be to look into some of the wholesale apps on the Shopify App Store which are built to help you sell to both retail and B2B customers on your online store. I believe they would allow you to offer different payment methods to customers, but that's something you'll want to look into and check with the app developers to be sure. Some examples include Wholesale Club and Bold Custom Pricing, but you can see all available options here.

Kind regards,

suzannesakmar
2 0 0

Can this function be done by item or is an all or nothing feature?

Thank you! 

Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1479 140 334

Hi @suzannesakmar,

Thank you for getting in touch. Payment methods on Shopify cannot be enabled only for specific products, no—enabling a payment option means it would be an available method of payment for all products on the store. Were you looking to allow customers to pay by invoice for select products only?

Kind regards,

suzannesakmar
2 0 0

Thank you for the response. I have a potential vendor that do not want customers to "checkout" with their products instead have me send them an invoice. It's not all of my products on my website so I didn't want to have invoice everything that I sell...

Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1479 140 334

Hi @suzannesakmar,

Okay, thank you. How many products would this vendor be supplying? As it is not possible to enable payment methods for selected products only, this may be difficult to do. One option would be to hide the "add to cart" button on these products' pages, meaning customers cannot order them directly. You could ask customers to contact you directly if they're interested in making a purchase, and then use the draft orders feature to invoice them for the products. You'd likely need to hire a Shopify Expert to hide the button on the product pages for these products if you are not familiar with theme development.

Kind regards,

VermillionDrive
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Victor, 

Question about the invoicing option. If my customer chooses this invoice option at checkout am I required to capture payment from them within the Shopify Payments 7-day authorization window? Or can I send them the invoice say within 15 or 30 days, after they submit they order, without penalty?

Since it looks like this option does not require me to obtain their credit card info at the time they submit their order I should be able to complete the order at this later date?

Thanks,

Courtney

Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1479 140 334

Hi @VermillionDrive,

Thanks for getting in touch. The 7-day authorization window only applies if you have manual capture set for your payment settings, meaning the customer still provides their credit card information at checkout even though the funds will not be captured until you decide to do so. It is between authorization and capture that this 7-day window applies. This also only applies to payments processed via Shopify Payments; other gateways may not offer this option or may offer different time frames.

If you decide to issue them an invoice via a draft order, then you will be creating their order for them prior to them providing any payment information. You can email this to them as an invoice and they can then opt to pay for the order when they are ready. This is probably a better option for you if you do not wish to be constrained by the 7-day authorization window, and would like the ability to create the order for the customer rather than them doing so themselves.