Per item shipping rates

Liam1
1 0 0

Hello,

I have been looking to find how I can apply shipping rates per item in shopify. All of the information I have found is outdated, it seems like it should be pretty simple but I can't find how to do it. How can I do this?

Thank you in advance for the help you offer,

Liam

Replies 30 (30)
Lisa
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
260 3 66

Hi, Liam!

Lisa here from the Shopify Support team.

To simply apply shipping rates per item in Shopify, your store does require Carrier Calculated Shipping. Currently, there is no native way to do per item shipping without this service. Enabling Carrier Calculated Shipping opens up the API's needed to allocate shipping rates per item. 

This additional service costs $20 per month, or free on annual billing - just ask the Shopify Support Staff here, and they can set it up for you!

Once you have Carrier Calculated Shipping enabled you can use the free app Parcelify where you can create custom shipping rates that perfectly suit your needs.

Alternatively, you can do this workaround, which is a lot less simple but would offer a solution to apply shipping rates per item in Shopify! 

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions. 

- Lisa ?

Lisa | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

SharonReeds
Shopify Partner
197 6 63

Hi Liam,

If Parcelify doesn't work as expected in your store, our app, Intuitive Shipping allows you to easily assign per item shipping rates. We have had a few customers switch from Parcelify already, and we offer a free 14-day trial, so please feel free to take it for a test drive! 

If you need any assistance, please reach out to us via our Skype Live Chat found in the app within the app under Help > Support or you can shoot us an email at support@intuitiveshipping.com

Warm regards,
Sharon Reeds

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping
Execute a strategic approach to shipping | Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles
Joseph_Plocki
2 0 11

This is disappointing.  I just signed up today, and am in the process of adding multiple drop-ship suppliers for my store, some of which are out of country.  I can't tell my customers the standard shipping date estimates when I have no control over when a supplier ships the order.  In my day job, I'm a programmer, and I work with nopCommerce for my employer.  I may switch to that for my eCommerce needs, because honestly, that just seems like a standard thing an online store would support.  Having to pay extra for it is ridiculous.  I have $0 in sales, I have no idea how much I *might* sell, and I've already committed to $29/month on the off-chance that I might be successful.  Now I have to pay extra so that my checkout doesn't tell my customers 2-3 days when it might be more like 20-30?

I fear that I've made a grave mistake in giving shopify my credit card number already, and I haven't even opened my store yet.  I believe I'll spend my trial period investigating other eCommerce solutions.

Ahmed_Gilani
Excursionist
14 0 14

Shopify is full of holes and really annoying.

OutFitAll
1 0 2

Hello,

I just wanted to know if this answer regarding the shipping rate per item is still relevant today, or there is any new solutions.

Thanks.

Ahmed_Gilani
Excursionist
14 0 14

Apparently there is a new solution though I havent tested it. But you can now do it per item based.

idigibay
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

how does it work?

tabdulhakeem
Tourist
4 0 8

Check out this video for per item shipping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GzNktaZ3zI

davidmichael401
1 0 0

Pricing: Basic Shopify costs $29 per month + Transaction fees of 2.9% + 30¢ (Shopify Payment Online); 2.7% (Shopify Payment in-person); 2% (if you are using your own payment processor)

Pricing: Shopify Lite costs $9 per month + Transaction fees of 2.9% + 30¢ (Shopify Payment Online); 2.7% (Shopify Payment in-person); 2% (if you are using your own payment processor)

Shopify’s enterprise service for large scale business is now renamed Shopify Plus. Shopify Plus or enterprise pricing begins at $2,000 per month but may vary depending on seller add-ons & requirements

Source: Shopify Cost 

shishisboutique
Tourist
7 0 4

My web developer suggested to use BASED ON ITEM WEIGHT section and it works. 

>> Follow the instructions to create a shipping zone

>> Click ADD A RATE

>>  Click ADD CONDITIONS

>> Click on BASED ON ITEM WEIGHT

>> And continue as follows:

Minimum weight: 0     Maximum weight : 1 Product amount : for 1 piece

Minimum weight: 1.1    Maximum weight : 2 Product amount : for 2 pieces

Minimum weight: 2.1     Maximum weight : 3 Product amount : for 3 pieces

Minimum weight: 3.1    Maximum weight : 4 Product amount : for 4 pieces

Minimum weight: 4.1     Maximum weight : 5 Product amount : for 5 pieces

Minimum weight: 5.1     Maximum weight : 6 Product amount : for 6 pieces and so on..

it is annoying and time consuming to do this for each continents since the shipping rate is different for each continent..I am pretty suprised for Shopify not having an easier solution to this.. :((

sheezasonline
Excursionist
19 0 6

According to Shopify we can make separate shipping profiles for items, and at checkout it will add up all the shipping charges of each product, even add the shipping rates if the quantity of the product is more than 1.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/shipping/setting-up-and-managing-your-shipping/shipping-profiles#...

I tested it by adding 2 different variants of a single product and one more product from different shipping profile. Rather than adding shipping for 3 products it took only 1 shipping rate. 

Anyone else is having the same issue?

Samreen

tabdulhakeem
Tourist
4 0 8

Unfortunately that is how it works. I do not think their is a way to implement a per item shipping rate if it is the same item... It not ideal if someone adds the same item twice and they are only charged the one shipping rate on the profile. Work perfect with separate items but once multiples of the same items are included it does not add more shipping

sheezasonline
Excursionist
19 0 6

but it is not even working with different items under same shipping profile. 

tabdulhakeem
Tourist
4 0 8

That is correct. I had to make a unique shipping profile for each item even if they were related items to have shipping calculate multiple time. I'm probably going to look into building a shopify app that will solve this problem soon. I will give an update if I do

CFManiac
1 0 1

I know this thread is an older one, however you may want to review this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=8GzNktaZ3zI

darrenj1
Excursionist
24 0 2

Thats not quite what we I am after, I want to give free standard shipping for all orders (which I can set up in Shopify)

But I also want to offer faster shipping for £2.50 extra PER ITEM. (this is missing from Shopify, why?)

Taliaboone
2 0 2

what is the new solution

Taliaboone
2 0 2

that link says "private"

Pavvel
Tourist
5 0 1

I totally agree with @shishisboutique paying an additional 20$ for the possibility to have some "Carrier accounts and fulfillment services" and then another 13$ for some application that does basic stuff... That's ridiculous. That is how shopify makes money...  Setup weight is the way to go!