Purchase a second shipping label for an order has been deliveried

Fay1
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi,

I recently shipped one order to my customer. The package has been deliveried. And the customer contact me with some items missing in that package. I was trying to purchase a second shipping label under the same order to send a replacement order. But the order has been archived, so I wasn't able to do so. Can anyone help me with this? 

Thank you very much. 

Replies 25 (25)

Leon
Shopify Staff (Retired)
205 1 75

Hi, Fay. 

Leon here from Shopify Support.

If an order has been fulfilled and delivered already, there is no way in the admin to go back and "re-fulfil" those items. In cases like this, you'll need to create a draft order in the admin by going to Orders > Create Order, add the items that were missing from that orde, then buy a shipping label and fulfil the new order. In this new order, you can mark it as paid, discount it fully to not impact your sales figures, and add notes to indicate that the items in this order are a replacement for the previous. After this is completed, you'll be able to look at the customer account in the admin and see both orders at a glance. 

If you have any questions about this process, please let me know. 

Have a great one, 

Leon 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

VSA
Visitor
1 0 1

I'm glad I found this!  I too was wondering how to print another label on an order I sent out, and needed to make an exchange.  I marked the order as paid, but what do you mean by "discount it fully to not impact your sales figures"?

Thank you!

JeffDM
Excursionist
43 0 10

Thanks Leon, I appreciate it. I guess it works. It's pretty non-obvious work-around, I had to come here to find that solution.

FusionDecals
Excursionist
13 0 14

I found a quicker way just go to the original order and hit duplicate and add a discount equalling the total and mark as paid.  That's it then you can create a new label and it won't affect your metrics.

caitlin_anthony
Visitor
3 0 0

Neither did this... 

MrsCopyCat
Visitor
1 0 1

I just did all that but didn't see the discount thing so now I have a full order amount sitting in my account. Do i just "refund" that? Did it get charged to the customer? Hope not. If I refund, di I actually refund her money she didn't pay because I marked it as paid??? Easier on Etsy sorry guys haha.

Ariane 🙂

FusionDecals
Excursionist
13 0 14
Just go to the new order you created refund the entire amount but un select
email customer so they do not see it. Then you should have a 0$ order you
can fulfill.
knotanotherhat
Visitor
2 0 4

The problem with this workaround is that you then have to manually adjust the inventory because the system thinks it is re-selling those items, when in fact they were only sold once and just not delivered.  

mushroommedicin
Visitor
1 0 0

I tried this and it doesn't give me an option to generate a new shipping label or print it

kaganader
Tourist
3 0 2

Leon,

This method does not work. There is no option to print out a new shipping label.

cdbboston
Tourist
8 0 9

Creating a draft order for a second round of shipping associated with exchanges is entirely inefficient.  It creates an artificial revenue amount, takes onerous amount of time, and appears as an order when it's an exchange only.  Shopify needs to enable an second label option associated with initial order activity - processing a draft order for purposes of label generation with information already in system is stupid.

A_D_T
Tourist
4 0 19

This is an unreasonably complex work-around for what should be a standard feature. The need to ship a second package to a customer is frequent enough to justify adding the feature. If an item was left out by accident, a follow up item needs to be sent, etc. There are a variety of reasons why I need to create another label after the original shipment. Ebay offers this. Paypal shipping offers this. It would be much appreciated if shopify would add this feature, it would be very helpful. Thanks.

A_D_T
Tourist
4 0 19

This ridiculous work-around actually *does impact the sales figures. When you create an order and discount it fully, the order contributes to your gross sales, and the discount is tracked in the discounts line. Sure, it doesn't affect the bottom line in the end, but it does end up tracking the sale and discount. I know this because I struggled with it at tax time this year... having to reconcile discounts against gross receipts at tax time... all that extra trouble... just to print some additional shipping labels. Come on guys, everybody else who does e-commerce shipping systems offers this feature, and has for a long time... get with the 1900's already.

JeffDM
Excursionist
43 0 10

This doesn't work for me anymore. I tried four times, with a couple minor variations, notably making it free shipping and also First Class Mail. This worked early June now it's late August and I can't print a shipping label. And this is using the same item + discount that I used the previous time. I hit "fulfill order" and it just asks me to enter carrier and tracking number.

CurrantC-Jim
Tourist
7 0 3

This workaround creates a lot of additional work. In my previous software we could right click and duplicate the order order, delete items not being reshipped, use the same order #  and add a "-R" to the order #. This allows our bookkeeper to  easily find all orders that were reshipped and categorize them as a loss. The 2 orders are easily cross referenced.

merriheart1
Tourist
4 0 1

Maybe you might try duplicating the order using the duplicate option in the drop-down menu for the original order, then tag it with "R" for replacement. 

cdbboston
Tourist
8 0 9
Yes, do that now but then you must discount order amount or it gets added
in as new revenue, also must mark as paid and remove customer email address
or customer receives notification of order showing 0 due which confuses &
annoys them so we get phone call or email.

Smart option: Exchange Label.
GinaPaeth
Excursionist
11 1 11

Thank you for sharing. This helped me tonight. 

caitlin_anthony
Visitor
3 0 0

This doesnt work. 

caitlin_anthony
Visitor
3 0 0

Leon, this is an insane rigamarole, it should be SUBSTANTIALLY easier to go into a partially fulfilled order and print off the second half of the shipping label. * mind blown * No one has 4 hours to try to figure out something that should legitimately just be sitting there ready to be filled and printed. Eeeek.  

Eric_Pao
Visitor
1 0 1

I figure out an acceptable method to print the 2nd shipping label when the customer request the replacemnt. 

I add a new product item, the product name is "request replacement", price is $0

The buyer places an order to replace his defective goods.  In checking out, it does not require credit card information but the shipping address. 

Then, the seller prints out the shipping label and packaging slip as well. 

That was what I did.  I gave the buyer the link to request his replacement.

AlpineDogCo
Tourist
4 0 1

This is exactly what I do (unarchiving > creating a custom item worth nothing w. shipping.) This also helps for quickbooks/ tax purposes and doesn't remove additional inventory; it doesn't count as a sale since the custom item is titled "Replacement" or whatever you want to do with it, the cost is 0 dollars and although you do have to mark it as needs shipping, they've already paid shipping costs on the order so it's not charging extra. A great fix until something better comes along. 

George_C
Trailblazer
155 1 145

I think the Unarchive > Edit > Add $0 Custom Item is the best hack for this. Doesn’t affect total sales numbers (which a 100% discount would), keeps the inventory intact, keeps the history in one order, and even prints put a dedicated packing slip for the custom item. 

it’s still ridiculous there isn’t a built-in method for this. 

Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.
cdbboston
Tourist
8 0 9

Leon's solution is correct: unless you zero out your price with a discount amount of same $ value (not referring to your cost basis information), the amount will be added to your revenue aggregate.  Also, if the customer has their email address associated with their order, any subsequent activity (even though intended and generated for internal processing purposes only) will trigger a notification being sent to the customer, e.g., an invoice showing $0.00 due but this is confusing to the customer.  

Point: all this "unraveling/undoing" involves extraneous steps before moving forward to accomplish a simple task that shoud be routinely supported - time is uselessly spent doing something that should be SOP (standard operational procedure.)  Please integrate process.  Thank you.

TE5
Tourist
3 0 5

Eric_Pao has the Absolute best solution to this missing functionality! THANK YOU @Eric_Pao ! I no longer have to duplicate orders to reship a replacement item or missing piece. Package was recently "return to sender" and I just want to re-ship this thing without creating a whole new order. This is a great fix.