FROM CACHE - en_header

Regional Support: Payments (India)

Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1670 154 366

Learn more about managing your payments while running your Shopify store in India.

This thread is part of the Regional Support threads offered for merchants based in India. To see which other topics are available, you can visit the India hub here.

There are a number of different payment gateways available to merchants in India, which will allow you to accept payments from your customers through your Shopify store. This includes the likes of PayU, Razorpay and paytm, among many others.

To use these gateways to collect payments on Shopify, you will first need to create a merchant account with the payment processor of your choosing. After this is done, you will be provided with your account credentials by the processor which can then be used to activate the gateway within Shopify. This is done in the Payment providers section of your Shopify admin settings.

Shopify also allows you to connect your PayPal business account via PayPal Express Checkout. You can enable this alongside your primary gateway which processes credit card payments, meaning that your customers will have the option of paying by card or with their PayPal account. It is also possible to enable different alternative and manual payment methods on your store, such as bank deposit and cash on delivery (COD).

Shopify also offers an Advanced Cash on Delivery app, which is exclusively available to merchants in India. The app allows for greater control when it comes to making COD an available payment method to customers, as you can use the app to restrict this payment option based on the customer’s location and the value of their order.

Please note that all payments processed via a third-party gateway are subject to transaction fees, and the rate of these fees depends on which Shopify subscription you have chosen. You can find the rate charged per transaction for each plan over on our pricing page.

Update 10/26/20; Several updates have been made to Advanced Cash on Delivery thanks to your valuable feedback! If someone selects Cash on Delivery (COD), only COD is shown instead of other payment options, and if someone selects prepaid shipping the online payment options will be shown instead. We have streamlined the process to keep the customer focused on one goal - completing the purchase. Thanks again for your feedback!

If you have a question or comment to make about processing payments on Shopify in India, please post it below.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Replies 82 (82)
Elle
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1092 99 201

You're very welcome, @vssc!

Yes - transaction fees are charged in addition to the credit card rate you will pay to the payment provider. You will see transaction fees appear your monthly Shopify invoices. You can learn more about transaction fees here

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Elle | Social Care @ Shopify 

vssc
Excursionist
23 0 2

Hi Elle,

Oh. So in a nutshell, I can either stay stuck with reporting that won't take into account refunds / returns or I can pay Shopify an extra 2%  (on top of my monthly subscription) to make sure refunds reflect properly. 😕 I hope you do realise why this doesn't quite go down well. 

I'm also now discovering the product exchange process is anything but straightforward and requires refunding and  then asking a customer to place a fresh order.

Thanks for your help, though. Appreciate you taking out the time to help me here. But must say I am extremely disappointed with Shopify - basic features which you'd expect to be baked in require paid apps, and it's anything but straightforward. Will manage I suppose, at least till we can pay a developer to move us to a better platform, one that includes basic features as part of the main subscription.

cheers

Elle
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1092 99 201

Hi, @vssc 

No problem, I'm more than happy to help! 

Transaction fees would be charged for orders processed through the Razorpay gateway as well. 

If you don't use Shopify Payments or a manual payment method, then transaction fees apply for orders in addition to the processing fee charged by your payment provider. Also, transaction fees don't apply for manual payment methods, which include cash on delivery (COD), bank deposits, checks, test orders, and draft orders marked as paid or pending. Transaction fees don't apply for POS orders.

In regards to returns, the customer does not need to place a new order. You can follow the steps outlined here to edit an order. Hope this helps! 

rohan-ranadive
1 0 0

Hi Victor,

I have the same issue with USD.  Tried everything but payments do not go through for international customers.  Payapl confirms international payments is active.  Please advise.

Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1670 154 366

Hi @rohan-ranadive,

Thank you for reaching out about this. Can you tell me more about this issue please, and how many instances of this you have seen? Do you have USD set as the default currency on your store, or INR? Is this something customers have reached out to you directly about?

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

vssc
Excursionist
23 0 2

Thanks! Yup, trying to work around these issues. Am facing a new issue now - the exchange / store credit is always greyed out on my Shopify POS app (running on Android 11). Trying to exchange products using the POS app now doesn't show the exchange amount as 0 - and there's no credit / option. But it's enabled in the POS payment settings.

cheers,

Vaibhav

Elle
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1092 99 201

You're welcome, @vssc 

For assistance with POS issues, you can connect directly with our Retail Support team by following these steps: 

• Enter your question in the search bar. 
  • Select 'continue' under 'Get support' at the bottom of the page
  • Select your preferred support option (live chat or callback)

From there our retail team can assist!

Hope this helps 🙂 

loki1
2 0 0

hi @Elle @Victor 

i have added both paytm and cashfree but my customers cant pay the money at the checkout. it shows your payment can be processed for technical reasons. try again or use a diffrent payment. please help us in this issue with=out payment gateway it make huge problem.

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-11 at 18.29.16.jpeg

Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1670 154 366

Hi @loki1,

Thank you for getting in touch and for sharing that screenshot. Have you been able to process any payments via these gateways on your store, or have they not worked since you enabled them as activate gateways? When did you create your merchant account with Cashfree and PayTM?

Kind regards,

loki1
2 0 0

Hi @Victor 

My customers tried to pay through these payment gateway but all the payment is gone through abondened checkout. it's been one month our website is launched and I have integrated about one month. In test payments it is working but in real transaction it shows like this which I have shown in the screenshot

Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1670 154 366

Hi @loki1,

Okay, I see. I'll need to take a closer look at your store to try and determine the issue, so will email you shortly and authenticate you on your store. Please look out for my email and get back to me there so I can continue to help.

Kind regards,

NG_TT
3 0 0

Hi @Victor and @Elle,

I am looking for a solution for my website where certain products are prepaid only and certain can be COD as well. 

The customer can see if on the product page if a certain product is COD or Prepaid. 

At check out, I need split payment options where customer can pay for the prepaid items and is allowed to select COD for the COD items. 

Apologies if this has been asked too many times already. I wasn't able to find an answer despite searching extensively!

Thanks in advance,

Neha

NG_TT
3 0 0

Hi @Elle,

I would certainly be interested in knowing which payment gateway can pass on refund information to shopify so that order cancellations and returns are easier to track on shopify as well. 

Thanks!

Neha

Elle
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1092 99 201

Hi, @NG_TT 

This feature is not currently supported on our Basic, Shopify, and Advanced plans; however, this is something that can be accomplished with Shopify Gold. If your business is currently processing a large amount of sales this option may be best for your business! I can see that you posted on another thread in our community about this feature so I do hope our Partners can help you with a coding workaround from there. 

In regards to payment providers that support refunds, your best bet would be: 

PayPal Payflow 
* CashFree

Hope this helps! 

Weyday
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi Shopify,

I'm using Advanced COD for India app for Cash on Delivery orders.

But, I'm seeing lot of scam/bogus purchases without proper Phone Number, Email ID or even Address. Is there way to verify their phone number with OTP without adding any apps.

Your response is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Deva.

Elle
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1092 99 201

Hi, @Weyday 

Sorry to hear you are experiencing an increase in scam orders, that's definitely frustrating! 

Currently, SMS verification at checkout is not a core feature of Shopify. Our developers are aware that this feature has been requested, and we do hope to offer this in the future!

As a workaround, you can make customer accounts required to purchase or use the FraudLabs app for OTP verification. 

Cheers, 
Elle

Weyday
Tourist
6 0 1

Thank you Elle for your support, appreciate it.

rajat1234
3 0 0

hi @Victor , My issue is quite similar. But to be precise, my checkout page is not redirecting after accepting card details. It just loads and comes back to the card filling stage. It would really be awesome if you can help me out. Thanks

rajat1234
3 0 0

Hi @Elle Can you help me with the checkout process ?

Elle
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1092 99 201

Hi, @rajat1234 

Absolutely! I'm happy to help.

Please share the following:

• A video of this issue occurring
  • The URL of your store
  • The payment provider you're using

Thanks!