How can I get accurate shipping rates for different sized boxes?

Spintiller
Excursionist
54 0 7

Yet again I'm here trying to figure out how to get correct shipping rates for different size boxes because Shopify stupidly only allows one size box and refuses to fix this.

So I was combing the threads and I came across this solution which I hadn't seen before:

The other (free) option would be to set your default package weight to 0.0 and add the package weight to the total weight of your products. For this to work, first, weigh out the bubble mailer and the large box. Next, open the bulk editor tool in your 'Products' tab, and add the proper additional weights to the products that use that specific packaging. This will ensure that the live rates pulled at your checkout will be accurate to the total weight of the order. 

This seems to be a decent work around. However...

1) I set my default shipping box to the smallest box I use with .5lbs weight.

2) I went in to each of my products and added their weights.

3) I have several products that are oversized and UPS/FedEx use dimensional weights for them in addition to a large item surcharge.

4) So I went to UPS and calculated all of this out and it turns out that the dimensional weight of one of my products comes out to 47 lbs.

5) So in the UPS calculator I entered the dimensions of my smallest box, but put the weight to 47lbs. The rate that came back is almost exactly the same as the rate using the dimensional weight (see below)

Spintiller_0-1643392827938.png

6) So then I go to my shopify store and I put that product into my cart and get to the shipping screen (by the way I did use the same exact address in ups and my store to get the rates). I get this:

Spintiller_1-1643392945521.png

7) And when I go to buy a shipping label in Shopify based on this order it charges me around the correct rate (at least close enough with the Shopify discount I can live with it):

Spintiller_3-1643393378651.png

So can someone explain to me why the customer is only being charged $19.75??? My understanding is that Shopify calculates on the default box which is the 14x7x5 box plus the weight of the product which is 47 lbs. It should be charging the customer about $35 but it is not.

This whole Shopify shipping nonsense has taken up so much of my time I am ready to shut down and move somewhere else. 

AND DO NOT SUGGEST TO ME A THIRD PARTY APP FOR SOMETHING THAT SHOPIFY SHOULD ALREADY DO!

Replies 2 (2)

Spintiller
Excursionist
54 0 7

Ok, wow, thank for the help Shopify.

CrapaudVelo
Tourist
3 0 3

@Spintiller wrote:

Yet again I'm here trying to figure out how to get correct shipping rates for different size boxes because Shopify stupidly only allows one size box and refuses to fix this.

So I was combing the threads and I came across this solution which I hadn't seen before:

The other (free) option would be to set your default package weight to 0.0 and add the package weight to the total weight of your products. For this to work, first, weigh out the bubble mailer and the large box. Next, open the bulk editor tool in your 'Products' tab, and add the proper additional weights to the products that use that specific packaging. This will ensure that the live rates pulled at your checkout will be accurate to the total weight of the order. 

This seems to be a decent work around. However...

1) I set my default shipping box to the smallest box I use with .5lbs weight.

2) I went in to each of my products and added their weights.

3) I have several products that are oversized and UPS/FedEx use dimensional weights for them in addition to a large item surcharge.

4) So I went to UPS and calculated all of this out and it turns out that the dimensional weight of one of my products comes out to 47 lbs.

5) So in the UPS calculator I entered the dimensions of my smallest box, but put the weight to 47lbs. The rate that came back is almost exactly the same as the rate using the dimensional weight (see below)

Spintiller_0-1643392827938.png

6) So then I go to my shopify store and I put that product into my cart and get to the shipping screen (by the way I did use the same exact address in ups and my store to get the rates). I get this:

Spintiller_1-1643392945521.png

7) And when I go to buy a shipping label in Shopify based on this order it charges me around the correct rate (at least close enough with the Shopify discount I can live with it):

Spintiller_3-1643393378651.png

So can someone explain to me why the customer is only being charged $19.75??? My understanding is that Shopify calculates on the default box which is the 14x7x5 box plus the weight of the product which is 47 lbs. It should be charging the customer about $35 but it is not.

This whole Shopify shipping nonsense has taken up so much of my time I am ready to shut down and move somewhere else. 

AND DO NOT SUGGEST TO ME A THIRD PARTY APP FOR SOMETHING THAT SHOPIFY SHOULD ALREADY DO!

Agreed, When can we expect dimensional shipping? We should not have to pay for a 3rd party app

As clearly, the community has been asking for it.