Should I cancel my first order due to scam warning?

Disca
Visitor
1 0 0

I got a order a few days ago, it was my first order after 2 months so i was really happy and accepted it. But it warned me about a possible scam. Now, it's 1 day left before i get the money. I don't know if i should cancel the order or let it go through. What should i do?

Disca_0-1690230541372.png

Replies 2 (2)

Nia
Shopify Staff (Retired)
537 38 78

Hi, @

We appreciate you reaching out here!

Shopify's risk analysis algorithms look at a combination of an order's characteristics, as well as customer history. The algorithms determine whether the order's characteristics match patterns identified from the millions of past legitimate or fraudulent orders seen across Shopify's platform. The decision is ultimately up to whether you fulfil the order or not. Do you feel comfortable fulfilling the order? As a suggestion, you can reach out to the customer before fulfilling their order to confirm a few details! If they don't reply to you within a sufficient amount of time then that can be read as a red flag.

This fraud prevention guide has some excellent tips on dealing with fraudulent orders. At the end of the day if you don't feel comfortable fulfilling the order then don't. High risk orders can result in chargebacks which can cost you money in the long run. (Read more about chargebacks here.)

I hope this helps but if you have any other questions, please let us know - we are always here to help!

Nia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2283 208 606

@Disca good info by Nia, one thing I would add is that after 7 years running an online store, the policy we evolved was to automatically cancel high risk orders, reach out to the customer, and request a new form of payment.

Make it easy for them by including the links to their products, and explain that your security system picked up this as a potential risk for fraud.

We found success with this because:

- Normal people will be understanding if you explain your business is susceptible to fraud

- If they are using a stolen credit card, then forcing a different form of payment will deter them because they won't have it

- If they are legit, they can simply use a different credit card or PayPal

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Figure Out Why You're Not Getting Sales