FROM CACHE - en_header

UPS Shipping problem

John_Walter
Tourist
11 0 1

Havent been able to purchase UPS shipping labels for the last week and a half, anyone else have this problem?  My billing account is fine with Shopify, i can still buy labels using USPS and DHL Express.  Thanks for any advice or opinion as to whats going on.  i'm still waiting on support to get back to me and my shipments are piling up.

John

UPS shipping problem.jpg

Replies 17 (17)
Teakhaus
1 0 1

Hi, 

Do you solve the problem of buying UPS shipping labels? I am dealing with the same problem and I am still l waiting for a solution since 6 days ago. I will like to know how you solve the problem or what it was. Please help! 

saltandsundry
1 0 0

We are having the same problem and are desperate to resolve it as orders pile up. USPS is not a viable alternate for us right now. Shopify says they have to contact UPS and there's nothing we can do on our end. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

John_Walter
Tourist
11 0 1

HI, yes i did find the solution, and it took working with UPS directly to solve it, as Shopify wasn't able to figure it out.

In my case, and possibly yours, since this isn't that uncommon a possibility, a vendor of mine sent me a shipment collect for the UPS charges, and for some reason, submitted the shipment using an obsolete UPS account that was in my company's name.  I closed that account more than 5 years ago due to a mix-up, and i ended up creating a new account.  But for whatever reason, when the shipment tried the charge and failed, then UPS's algorithm rolled over to try and find a valid UPS shipping account, which would have been fine, except that it found my UPS account with Shopify, not my own company's UPS account.  So the UPS system charged the $20 collect shipping fee to my Shopify acct, which never showed up anywhere on my shopify invoices, and thus Shopify couldn't pay it - even after being notified that it was out there.  The upshot was that my Shopify acct got suspended for non-payment and wouldn't allow me to charge anything new -hence the error message above.  

The fix came from Shopify contacting UPS and finding the tracking number of the errant charge, they sent it to me, and I was able to contact UPS and get it paid.  But i needed to get the Shopify UPS account number from Shopify (plus the invoice amount from UPS) for them to talk to me about it.  So it was kind of a runaround for a while, but eventually it did get settled and i can ship again. 

I gave Shopify a piece of my mind because it set me back about 2 weeks on shipping, plus a lot of headache and phone time.  The ability for some third party (or UPS's algorithm) to charge externally to the admin account that is attached to Shopify should be automatically blocked when they create that account in your companies name (supposedly it is now for me, but i think it should be automatic for everyone.) I'm not surprised to hear that others had this problem.

So what I would do is get your UPS account number from Shopify, contact UPS with that info (which should be tied to your address and company name, so hopefully they will let you manage it) and try to get them to track down any unpaid invoices that are charged to that account.  All Shopify could locate was a tracking number, which helped figure it out, but no $ amounts...i had to twist UPS's arm to get them to let me pay the unpaid invoice after i confirmed that it was a valid collect shipment.  

Hope that helps. I hear you when it gets super frustrating to figure out why things aren't working and Shopify doesn't know either.  

Jennifer_McMill
Excursionist
40 0 9

I'm having the same problem right now. Same error message and can't figure out why!

John_Walter
Tourist
11 0 1

Do you have an existing account with UPS?  LIke I said, I had two, one was obsolete and inactive, but somehow a vendor used it to send me something that was billed to that account, but it didnt show up on my active UPS account, and somehow within UPS, it knew that my Shopify Account and my direct UPS account were linked.  Because the obsolete account bill wasnt paid, they shut me down on all accounts.  Try to talk to UPS to find out if there is anything charged to your company that isnt your Shopify account 

Jennifer_McMill
Excursionist
40 0 9

I'll try that, thank you!!

Jennifer_McMill
Excursionist
40 0 9

So I have a $0 balance on my own ups account so it's paid in full so I'm reaching out to see if shopify will give me the account number that they've assigned to me to see if there is a problem. This is ridiculous that they can't figure out what it is!

John_Walter
Tourist
11 0 1

yes, i had trouble getting my shopify UPS account number, but i think i finally did.  But call UPS too, see if they have any other information based on your company name.  try emailing shipping-ups@shopify.com, that was one source that i think helped.

John_Walter
Tourist
11 0 1

i think the thing that got it was this email from them, and with the tracking number, i was able to backtrack with UPS to find the charge and pay it (after transferring it to my acct)

Hey John,

It looks like there was a collect shipment sent to you, and billed to the account Shopify uses to provide the discounted rates in admin. As this charge was from off of the platform, it went unpaid and labels were suspended. Do you recognize this shipment?

If you do, please reach out to UPS to resolve the charges and let me know when that is completed, and I can request that UPS reactivate label purchases.

So Shopify found a charge that a third party had done on this account, which came from UPS's system looking for a valid account associated with my company, after the third party sent an item with shipping collect.  Because it wasn't in shopify's system, they can't charge my bank account to pay it, and UPS was blocking the shopify account because of non payment.  Big round and round it went.  Eventually with the tracking number i was able to transfer the charge using UPS support to move it from my shopify account to my company account and pay it, which released the shopify account to begin charging shipping again.  

It really comes down to not having third party be able to charge to your shopify account, which should be a default, and i think its set now for me...but if it happened for you, then clearly their system still needs to be fixed.  

sorry you are having this go on, right during holiday season.  

Jennifer_McMill
Excursionist
40 0 9

If anyone tried to charge something back to my account through shopify it definitely wasn't authorized! I've checked both accounts with UPS and have a zero balance but when I spoke to them about helping unlock my shopify account they said that those people are only available Monday - Friday. It's so incredibly frustrating to rely on someone else!

John_Walter
Tourist
11 0 1

so just to be clear - in my case, it was UPS that selected my shopify billing account.  They were definitely in error, 1 because they allowed a charge to an inactive account, and 2, they searched their database to find a valid account and somehow selected Shopify vs my other current account.  So it wasnt my vendor, who i hadnt ordered from in years and had the old account, nor was it Shopify.  

I dont know what happened in your case, but that was how things got out of sync, where Shopify had no record of the invalid charge (although eventually they found a tracking number somewhere eles in their system), and which then couldnt go thru to bill me naturally.  

I hear you though - it took about 5 weeks to figure this out and in the meantime i had to use my UPS account with much higher shipping costs than Shopifys.

LeviBuckingham
2 0 0

Hey Jennifer,

Were you able to get your account sorted, and if so how did you go about doing it?

I'm having the same issue, but like you my UPS accounts are both paid in full. I'm awaiting a response from Shopify to get my Shopify UPS account number, but wanted to be proactive in case they don't come up with anything. 

I've been using Shopify for over 6 years and the customer service has gotten worse and worse every year. It used to be so good in the beginning, like talking to an actual person that was knowledgable and could get you sorted on the spot. Now when I call, which you can't even do right now, I end up knowing way more about Shopify then their support staff.

It's so crazy to me that Shopify thinks it's acceptable for an issue like this to have a wait of 2-3 days just to make their initial response, much less to then just be getting the ball rolling on solving the issue. UPS is absolutely essential to our business as our primary package size is larger and can only be shipped reasonably with UPS. Not to mention that UPS is the shipping method customers have chosen at check out, so for Shopify to say, "in the meantime just go to UPS or use USPS" shows how incredibly out of touch they are with shipping rates. Going to UPS is not only a logistical nightmare with our box size, but would cost us roughly $8 more per package. and that's with the negotiated rates we have with one of our other accounts.  USPS would be twice as much per package (around $20-25 more per package) and is not the shipping method my customers chose at checkout. 

Jennifer_McMill
Excursionist
40 0 9

I was able to get it sorted myself with absolutely no help from Shopify. I would go through 30 minutes of trying to explain the problem, only to be told I had to speak to a particular department that didn’t work on the weekends. AND they’d say that since I already sent an email in creating a ticket, that I would get a response asap.  I never received an answer for what the problem was from Shopify. I resolved it myself and then even several days after that received an email saying looks like your UPS is back to working let us know if you need anything else. If you look at a past tracking number that you have, the 6 digit number letter Combo that follows 1Z, is your Shopify UPS account number. I had to call and be transferred to several different ups reps, if I can find the direct line tomorrow I’ll pass it along bc if you don’t call tomorrow, they also don’t work past 5 or on the weekends. I explained to them that this was my Shopify UPS account number and when they looked it up they said it had been automatically closed by Shopify’s system for lack of use...while we had been shipping hundreds of packages each day during the holidays. I told them I wanted it re-activated and they said they’d do it and that it might take several days to update everywhere but I was able to print shipping labels the next day. I hate relying on other people when it can affect our customer service but we are in the same boat as you, where the shipping rate is much better and we are primarily UPS. Usps can’t be trusted and has zero customer service. I hope this helps you! 

John_Walter
Tourist
11 0 1

glad it seems to have worked out.  As much as its easy to get mad at Shopify for not understanding these problems, I think the cause is UPS not having their s together.  For instance, i paid my UPS bill the other day, but then noticed i was getting billed for a shipment from two completely different addresses and companies, on a brand new account that was now associated with my company.  How that kind of thing can happen is beyond me, and it seems like they make it way too easy to game the system.  It took me more than a half hour to chase this down and get the charge removed (at least they said they would), still not sure what the new account is about, and at the end of the day, it seems like if someone knows your account number they can just ship using it.  

Rampheg
4 0 0

Hey Jennifer. Did you get that direct number by any chance? To call ups. I’m having the same problem and Shopify has no answer. Thanks 

Rampheg
4 0 0

Hey everybody. In my case it looks like I had unpaid invoices on my account. So it was suspended. It wasn’t much ($44). So I paid it and within 45 mins I was able to purchase ups labels through my Shopify account. I called ups myself and gave them my Shopify ups account number which is the 6 numbers or/and letters that follow after 1Z of your tracking numbers. This is the number I called 8004688823. Hope this helps. Bless day everyone and wishing sold out days for all of you 🙂

LeviBuckingham
2 0 0

Rampheg's advice here is spot on - just call UPS with your UPS account number (the 6 digit/letter combo starting after 1Z on every shipping label - just pull up an old label to see this), and they'll figure out why the account is not in good standing anymore. Shopify is absolutely useless as far as customer service is concerned. It's really disappointing.