Why is a verified ACH necessary for Shopify refunds?

Leap4artnc
Excursionist
44 1 14

Hi. I need to make a refund. I followed the instructions on Shopify and I received a note saying I don't have a verified ACH. I use Paypal. 

I know there are questions for this question online--but I can't find the answer after 20 minutes so I am hoping someone takes pity on me. 

Tommy B. McDonell

Leap4artnc LLC

Pinehurst, NC

Replies 5 (5)

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hey, @Leap4artncI can help point you in the right direction with this.

When using a third party gateway like Paypal, any errors or issues you have with it can most easily be answered by the provider themselves. Therefore, I went to Paypal’s Help Center and took a look at their API Error Codes. It appears as though an error stating “You do not have a verified ACh” is due to insufficient funds in your Paypal account to cover the refund, as seen below:

21-01-lc598-r0q4f

In the future, to help you find this info even easier on a third party site, you can get more information about the transaction by expanding the failed refund payment event from your order timeline. Expanding even further (by clicking on the little down arrow next to the Information from the gateway) will provide info like the specific error code number in this case, as seen in the example below, that you can use to more easily identify the issue. 

21-01-7ud0u-bjepw

Hope this helps!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Leap4artnc
Excursionist
44 1 14

Thanks, I'm going to look and see. I did go to Paypal to see what it said, but I think I was tired. So they can't put your payment on your credit card, I guess. Weird. 

I really appreciate your help. If you look at tbmcdonellart.com or at my Instagram and see something you like or if you like 3 colors, I will do a 5x7 free painting or send you some note cards to use. I'm not kidding. On Instragram just look for @Leap4artnc 

Tommy

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

You’re welcome, @Leap4artnc. It’s my pleasure to be able to help. And thank you for the kind offer; Your artwork is beautiful! It’s so colorful and vibrant; It makes for such a perfect product to showcase on a visually focused platform like Instagram.

Have you considered using the Instagram sales channel on your Shopify store? With this channel you can connect your Shopify catalogue to your Instagram account. It then enables you to use Instagram Shopping and/or 'tag' your products so that customers can click on it and be redirected back to your online store. 

There are quite a few articles in the Shopify Blog about Instagram and how to use it to benefit your business. I recommend reading the following for inspiration, and to help you decide if it would be an effective marketing strategy for your business: 

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions about it, or would like to discuss further.

Leap4artnc
Excursionist
44 1 14

Hi. My art is on Instagram and FB but my stores haven't been approved, though I can't figure out why. My ads are though. I got my first sale that went through today off of FB. 

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Congratulations on your first sale through Facebook, @Leap4artnc! Very exciting! 

And I completely understand how frustrating it can be when your store isn’t approved by Facebook when trying to set up the Facebook channel. Was there any more information provided regarding the rejection displayed in a banner in your Shopify admin? If so, please share a screenshot of it and I may be able to help clarify it for you, or point you in the right direction towards a resolution.