Why am I getting shipping error messages on my online store?

GrayMatterMats
Tourist
3 0 1

I've been running my shopify store for several months with no issues, and today on all my orders (routine orders, routine box sizes) I am getting error messages saying 'There was an error buying labels' and 'An unexpected error occurred'

Shopify customer service keeps hanging up on me. Anybody had this happen before?

Replies 4 (4)

Mick_Smith
Excursionist
34 0 13

I can confirm this is happening for me also.

Trying to purchase a DPD label and I get an error

Shipping labels are temporarily unavailable

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 261

Hi, @GrayMatterMats and @Mick_Smith.

For context, the error messages you're seeing can occur for a variety of reasons and will most often need the help of our internal shipping team to look into.

Occasionally however, these errors can occur if there are special characters in the address — our carriers' systems aren't able to read and support non-English characters, which means that Shopify cannot change this from our end due to a limitation of the carriers that we integrate with. Many carriers in English speaking countries, including UPS, also require names to appear in Roman characters. Character sets like Japanese, Chinese, and Cyrillic aren't often supported by the carrier's label system. As a workaround and in order to purchase the labels successfully, you'll need to remove any special characters and use English translations of addresses that use non-Roman characters.

If the above isn't relevant to your case, please follow the troubleshooting steps below:

If you're still having issues with purchasing labels, please contact our live support team so that we can authenticate you against the correct store and investigate the situation in more detail. To get in touch with our team, you'll need to login to your store via our Help Center here. Once logged in, select a topic that best fits your query or situation. From there, you'll be taken to a page with a list of relevant support articles, and you can scroll to the bottom of that page to select your preferred contact method with our team. Our live support team can further assist and, if required, get in touch with our internal shipping team to help inspect your case in more detail.

@GrayMatterMats it sounds like you were perhaps disconnected from the support team member you were speaking with previously, is that correct? I apologize for the inconvenience of the situation, and as much as I'd like to help you here we don't have access to accounts and support tickets via the Community Forums to troubleshoot account-specific situations. If you have a support ticket already open from your previous interaction, I encourage you to reply to it to continue speaking with the team member that you were initially disconnected from. If not, you can open a new support ticket by following the instructions I laid out above. 

Kimi | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Mick_Smith
Excursionist
34 0 13

All the stuff relating to USA & Canada I assume is complete irrelevant to me in the UK!

The address was fine, no special characters. I had to send the order using a different courier as I can't wait to send my orders. I will not be able to check if it is working again until I need to send a new parcel via courier (most of my post is send using my Royal Mail click & drop account).

I highly doubt we both had the exact same issue at the exact same time and it was caused by invalid characters in the addresses. That would be way more than a little coincidental to say the least.

GrayMatterMats
Tourist
3 0 1

Nope - address was fine and entered correctly. There were no problems on my end - the issue was Shopify's.

After calling back and getting a new person, they confirmed a system wide problem with buying labels. It's odd that it had been a few hours and it wasn't being listed on status.shopify.com, although after my call it was listed on there and resolved by the evening.