Adding Serial Numbers to Products

EJC
Tourist
3 0 19

Hello,

I have a brick and mortar store and want to implement a self check out but the products need to be able to have unique serial numbers for every product whether they are the same size/color/type or not.  Is there a third-party app that allows us to input a serial number into every item? 

I would prefer that Shopify engineers implement this asap as an option.  It would greatly benefit Shopify because many industries would use it beyond self-checkout such as warranty issues, returns, RFID solutions, self-checkout, shrink reduction, labor cost reduction, personalized service increase, batch tracking and more.  I think that it can be done quickly through Shopify Products and in order to be on the cutting edge of technology this must be implemented immediately.

Thanks,

EJ

Replies 90 (90)
eyasiya
Excursionist
17 1 7

I already use barcodes and SKUs. I need something that doesn't exist in the products page yet. I need serial numbers to uniquely identify every product in order to make a self check out work in my store. But I know this is also something that will assist many other Shopify users with other options within their business.

eyasiya
Excursionist
17 1 7

I already use barcodes and SKUs. I need something that doesn't exist in the products page yet. I need serial numbers to uniquely identify every product in order to make a self check out work in my store. But I know this is also something that will assist many other Shopify users with other options within their business.

Max_Sadlowski
Shopify Expert
77 1 48

@eyasiya This is great feedback, and something we will be actively looking to include in the near future. 

Max Sadlowski - CEO - BentoSMB - Shopify Expert
KBMarketer
Visitor
2 0 0

HI Max,

Would you be able to help now considering it's been a year since this was discussed?
In our Shopify shop we need to add the option to choose a serial number selection for watches.
Eg its limited edition of 100 watches made. You can shoose the number from 1-100. The variants option doesnt allow to add this many variants.

Can you help?
Kinga B 

simplerfid
Shopify Partner
17 0 4

@eyasiya we have exactly what you are looking for. Our RFID solution is integrated with Shopify and allows you to generate serialized tags for every product in your inventory, then track this item all the way until it leaves your inventory matching it up with the related order it was fulfilled. Give us a call and we can give you a demo!

reefloat
Excursionist
20 1 16

2 years down the line and posts are still being made requesting intergrating a serial number, have to admit i too am thinking time to move if something that should be simple for the right person to write into the software cannot be instigated? i am sure many would pay for an app that would do this! c'mon guys we know and you know its possible

BLINDEDM
Tourist
3 0 1

It’s existed for a while.  Just use SendOwl

320hss
Excursionist
17 0 14
I moved our POS over to LightSpeed it was a little bit of a learning curve
but we now have a script that is running every 10 minutes to update from
LightSpeed to Shopify
The guys at Lightspeed recommended if you people but the system that they
had for syncing was too complicated so I had one of our guys create a
script and we just kept it really simple as soon as we sell something on
our POS it would update Shopify

Now he’s creating some thing that will take orders from Shopify and update
LightSpeed

The serial numbers in lightspeed is really easy to us and follow
we scan our own sku’s
The we just look at the serial number that’s on the item and we pull it
from a drop-down list that’s already populated when we did our purchase
order
I hope that helps 🤙🏽

Also Lightspeed just today released an update on label creator so you can
adjust it unlike Shopify pos

Jhenricks518
Shopify Partner
3 0 3
We ended up doing this same thing except we ended up using accumula for the full integration including gift card syncing between lightspeed and shopify. Works great.

CycleBike
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi EJ just wondering did you get anymore info regarding this ? We too are on the same boat looking to input seriel numbers for each product.

EllaBrown2021
Excursionist
92 0 9

I have the same idea as you, and hope they can solve this problem as soon as possible.

banned

Fakesburster
Excursionist
16 1 1

Hi everyone we have release the best application specifically for this, Fakesburster (fakesburster.com)  This allows you as a store or brand owner to install a serial verification widget into your shopify store using this app. This app generate unique serials per sku for your products. Allowing your customers to verify their purchase right from your shopify store or shopify pos. This app protects your products, brands or creations, either physical or digital from any infringement or counterfeit. 
Your generated serials comes with cvv, which prevents your serials from getting counterfeited also.
Your generated serials are safely saved in the cloud through end to end encryption. Preventing your serials from any breach.

If you are a manufacturer, you can seek verification for your authorized distributors, wholesalers or retailers to use this app. They can easily add it to their online store or pos system.

We have worked tirelessly to build this app  since last year and we hope it will be beneficial for every business or creator that needs this.

Above all, this app is free to install from shopify and you only pay less than a cent per serial, without any additional charge, making it very cost effective 

For access, questions or feedbacks kindly send us a message support@fakesburster.com

banned

elrosd3
Visitor
3 0 0

I am also looking for this solution for my new internet site here please manual in case you realize approximately it I want to add this in my fee gear if its a possible choice. I know there are so many different systems are to be had but just wanna conform it on new source.

CanadaDrone
Tourist
4 0 4

Hi there,

Not sure if this would be sufficient for you, but I just use the Comments feature on the order page to track serial numbers.  If there is more than one item in an order, with serial numbers required, you could type "Item a: " then scan / type the serial number for Item a.  Then on the next line (or in a new comment) type "Item b:" then scan / type the serial number.

Just a quick workaround that is adequate for my needs.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Fakesburster
Excursionist
16 1 1

Hi everyone 

I am pleased to announce that our serial application (Fakesburster) is now officially live on Shopify.  

https://apps.shopify.com/fakesburster-1

Interested merchants can now install and start using the application directly from their dashboard.

For feedbacks, suggestion or complaints, please send us a message at support@fakesburster.com

banned
HSSFatima
Excursionist
13 0 3

Hi Do you have a demo for the app?

SuhaHammad
Tourist
4 0 5

Hello

what about tracking the items by serial numbers only on sales transaction.. somewhere where the person who prepare the order can scan the item serial number upon performing sales delivery and this serial be printed on the invoice ( For warranty purposes)

For example, if the customer orders 2 of the same item , we need the ability to scan two serial numbers and print on the invoice

Any thoughts are highly appreciated

Thanks,

Suha

reefloat
Excursionist
20 1 16

fakesburster -anyone tried this yet? a little wary as no reviews and no comments

320hss
Excursionist
17 0 14

No not mean...they need to have youtube video how it works.

Vfx1
Visitor
1 0 3

I don't understand how this isn't a core feature.  There is already a database for this, just need to add a field.  How many add-ons should we need to purchase before we switch storefronts?

reefloat
Excursionist
20 1 16

i have found a workaround that enables me to insert a searcheable serial number, although not ideal another address can be added to the customer details and a serial number can be placed in one of the empty colums

if you then do a search in the customers section for a serial number it will show the customer allocated

320hss
Excursionist
17 0 14

I totally agree that is why we haven't  switched our POS from the one we have to shopify..every other POS has this and yes it's s usually a core feature. 

320hss
Excursionist
17 0 14

I may have a solution to serial numbers..this may only pertain to me but I helps. 

Background how we use Shopify web 

We have (windows) POS send csv file every 15 mins to update Shopify qty, wholesale price, retail price.

anyways we just dont like this and want to move to 100% shopify web and pos to streamline.

Serial numbers

vendors send some hard goods items on consignment.  Every 2 weeks we create sold reports  and report which items sold based of serial numbers. 

Shopify has no serial number tracking system, which is core feature on most POS systems that are real POS systems. 

So I think I may finally found a way to track my serial numbered  consignment items  and I found it in this article on sku numbers.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/details/sku

The last two paragraph may be the key

so my thought was to create skus like this

SKU-CON-SERIAL# 

with this I can have one sku for the same item and same color

know this is a consignment item

also know the serial number

now for reporting...I am going to research that but whom ever reads this let me know what you think of this idea. 

JLagasse
Visitor
1 0 3

We would also be in need of serial numbers added for warranty and layaway purposes. We retail furniture and appliances. Every appliances has a SKU, Barcode and Serial Number. We could sell the a customer multiple freezers which would have the same SKU and Barcode but each have individual Serial Numbers. This should be a standard feature and would benefit many businesses.

meeeee
Excursionist
17 1 6

I found this thread because we need something also.  Interesting that it's still not integrated or even an option after 2 years of this being worked on.  The barcode reader app itself gets 2 stars and was launched in 2018!

320hss
Excursionist
17 0 14
That is why we left shopify POS
we use the web but the POS is really really lacking many features.

Galmis
Shopify Partner
35 0 11

Hi all,

I understand your frustration; this long thread has been ignored for a few years. To help combat some of the issues mentioned, I built Serializer - Product Tracking

Currently, with the app, you can

• Associate serial numbers with order line items.
  • Search items by serial numbers and quickly pull up customer, order and product information.
  • Track warranty.
  • Embed item information on your website, email/SMS notifications or other areas in Shopify with customisable templates (e.g. order printing apps). 

Unfortunately, the app does not currently allow checking items in and out, but I may add this functionality in the future. I'd like to understand better if you guys are still interested in this feature or have moved on elsewhere. If you're interested, feel free to PM me. I'd love to have a chat with you.

Thanks,

Giedrius  

Rehasys
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi Giedrius

Our company sells medical devices and products like wheelchairs in Switzerland and the EU. New medical device regulations state that all sold products MUST come with a trackable serial number. Next will probably even be the lot number.

I stumbled upon your app by pure chance and am going to give it a try. I hope it works, as there doesn't seem to be another app for this on the Shopify store.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

In any case, your app seems to really fill a HUGE gap in Shopify, especially for stores in highly regulated fields such as the medical device market.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

Marc from Rehasys

reefloat
Excursionist
20 1 16

been using serializer for a few weeks now - it works! highly recommend

here is the link

TelecomCenterAm
Visitor
1 0 0

I need also adding serial numbers in Shopify. Very strange this possiblility is not there. 

reefloat
Excursionist
20 1 16

been using serialize for a while now, highly recommend

opinnock
Tourist
3 0 1

Any update on adding serial numbers? The Shopify rep was pretty confident back in 2021 they would have something soon. It's almost 2023

reefloat
Excursionist
20 1 16

one released months ago and highly recommend serializer

Volconic
Shopify Partner
11 0 0

Hi @EJC - On the off chance that your still looking for a solution. We've built an App that does just what your looking for! Check it out here https://apps.shopify.com/volconic-passport and let us know if you have any questions.

Cristina_92
Shopify Partner
41 0 15

Hi everyone!

My name is Cristina and my team specializes in creating POS applications.
We are planning to create an app that would enhance the Shopify admin and POS with serial number.

If you are interested in learning more and sharing your use case for the serial number, please email me at chrisciolac@gmail.com.

Thank you.

ISBNExpress: Books Importer - import books by ISBN into your bookstore.
Rehasys
Tourist
4 0 2

Hello Cristina

Our companies sell medical devices and products like wheelchairs in Switzerland, Germany and the EU.

New medical device regulations state that ALL sold products MUST come with a trackable serial number. Next will probably even be the lot number.

As Shopify does not offer a solution for this we have been using the app Serializer.

I would be interested in learning more about your solution.

Best regards

Marc from Rehasys and Euro Reha

Cristina_92
Shopify Partner
41 0 15

Hello Marc,

Thank you for your reply.

Could you describe what problems regarding serial numbers management aren't yet solved using your current solution?
Since we’re working on a demo version, we’d like to gather as much as possible information to create an application that fits best.

You can also write me an email to chrisciolac@gmail.com with all the details.

Thanks a lot,
Cristina.

ISBNExpress: Books Importer - import books by ISBN into your bookstore.
Rehasys
Tourist
4 0 2
Hello Cristina

Basically, the features and functions of Serialize are quite sufficient so far…

Except for the fact that the serial numbers must be managed per ordered product on a separate page than within the order itself….

Basically, what would be good and more efficient would be if one could enter an ordered product’s serial number within the order’s detail page, not in a separate app page.

Hope that is clear.

Best regards
Marc from Rehasys

simplerfid
Shopify Partner
17 0 4

Hi @EJC our solution Simple RFID generates unique serial numbers for items regardless of whether they are the same size/color/type etc. The serialization allows you to track age of product, sell by/expiration date, cost etc. This is all done internally in Simple RFID when you print RFID stickers for your products. All of the serialized data is tracked on our side. We developed an app available in the Shopify App Store which allows you to compare your RFID data against your Shopify counts, identify discrepancies & sync corrections. 

Uni-Trend
Excursionist
20 0 21

Hi,

What I am looking for is a way to track serial numbers of products already given. Not to produce a serial number on the fly.

We sell electronics and every product from our factory already has a serial number and barcode on the box. What I need is a way for my warehouse to pull up an order to fulfill, pick the items on the order and scan the barcode on the box and log the serial number for each item. 

Right now, I created an order-level metafield called "serial number" so that it's tracked internally. However, the serial number must be manually entered for each item. 

We sell to distributors and end users. Distributors could order say 50 pieces, of different models and different series. Each with an established serial number. Trying to put all 50 codes into one field, and then having to dig out and match up which serial number goes with which specific model is a difficult task. Also, having to make sure they don't miss logging a serial number is an issue. I also don't want to make up 150 metafields for serial numbers. This is a major miss on the part of Shopify to provide a per-line item placeholder for information. 

Volconic
Shopify Partner
11 0 0

Hi @Uni-Trend

Our platform, Volconic, should be able to help you. In our enterprise version, we have a feature to enable your team to scan a barcode with the serial reference encoded or enter the serial number, which can then be synchronised with the Shopify order and tracked on our system. 

I'd be more than happy to give you a demo and learn more about your requirements. Please email us at support@volconic.com.

You can also test out our App here; www.volconic.com