FROM CACHE - en_header

Filling Online Orders From A Retail Location

thosewhobloom
Excursionist
43 1 9

We just launched our online shop, and are filling all our orders from our retail location. I have noticed that orders don't show up in the orders section of the Shopify POS, which would be ideal for us. How have you achieved alerting your staff to fill an order, without having them monitor Shopify Admin? Is there some way to get order information alerts on our retail ipad?

Replies 17 (17)
WDC
Tourist
9 0 2

I dont know of anyway to have alerts show up on the ipad....but you should be able to print the orders out to a printer there at the store. If your looking for something automated then you probably need a app for order management and have them use that. The ship station app would probably be a good app that has the orders in the app so that they can fulfill them and keep up with the fulfillment status.

ShawnBouchard
Pathfinder
90 1 75
There is no way for POS to notify staff of an online sale. It's really bad. They need to monitor the admin. Please call in a feature request, it's the only way they'll hear us
1 year e-commerce, 7 years B&M store. www.shopbraeheid.com
thosewhobloom
Excursionist
43 1 9
Thanks. I will definitely do that. I wish Shopify was constantly trying to
improve their performance, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
ShawnBouchard
Pathfinder
90 1 75
I wouldn't agree with you there. Shopify is constantly releasing updates, announcing big changes and pushing their users to be engaged. Imagine if you were programming updates for the platform that 500,000 subscribers use for their daily income. You'd take a bloody long time making sure it was bug free before releasing it.

*Cough* customer view tablet *cough*
WDC
Tourist
9 0 2
Initially I read it as you not wanting to give the access to the admin, I may have read that wrong. We keep the admin pulled up on a computer. We also have the shopify app running on our iPad in the background (not the pos but the shopify app which is a different app). The app will give you notifications when a order is made online. However, it may also notify you of pos orders too since they show up in the admin...I'm not sure, you'll just have to test it and see.
ShawnBouchard
Pathfinder
90 1 75
I turned those notifications off because it makes the cash sound for POS and online. And that's just awkward when you have a line up
eschoenmakers
5 0 0

We (13 retail locations + 1 online store) have a custom filter "to fulfill" set up so store employees can monitor that single screen. 

They have to select their own store and the filter is set to "open orders, paid, unfilfilled and partially fulfilled"

GingerD
13 0 0

@

LemmonsStore
Excursionist
18 0 27

Hello, do you sync your online store with Square?

GingerD
13 0 0

We do, using Shopventory to sync between Shopify & Square. I would not recommend this, though. We are having tons of issues with our data in that system. 

eschoenmakers
5 0 0

We do use the shopify POS solution for in our stores and it has advantages and disadvantages. I could recommend it for smaller retail with only one location or with a pop-up store. It has some great features and actually everything you need to be an omnichannel retailer. We fulfill from stores, regardless whether this is an online order or store order.

However we do have a ton of issues if it's getting a bit more difficult, to mention a few;

- rights management; you can do almost nothing or you can do everything

- closing the cash loop for accounting purposes, near to impossible

- selling stock from another store requires quite an effort, different logins etc

- multiple lines of reporting; turnover per employee & turnover per store goes as long as there's stock in that store. When we reach the area of "draft orders" we need to have the staff-schedules vlook-ed-up in an export of this to see what has happened. Same with the cash trail here.

- refund process and replacement process, order editing is not possible, so tons of workarounds with discount codes and such

- fulfilment "logic" only based on manual setting of store order, not by using the oldest stock or least busy store

Could go on for quite a while and lose my temper, but that's not nice 😉

ZainManji
Shopify Partner
30 0 31

Hi there, this app, Draft And Custom Orders For POS, (https://apps.shopify.com/draft-and-custom-orders-for-pos) can likely help.

Before this app, you would have to go into the Shopify Admin (on the computer) to create or edit a draft order, and then in order to checkout/charge a customer, you would have to email/send them the invoice link or charge them through your computer. Now with this app, you can create a custom draft order right within POS, and you can add that draft order straight to the POS cart in order to checkout/charge the customer inside your retail store or in person. 

Then once you checkout a customer with a draft order, you can view the completed order in the orders section of the POS app, and do whatever you'd like (e.g. print a receipt)

Link to the app: https://apps.shopify.com/draft-and-custom-orders-for-pos

More info: https://www.lazertechnologies.com/blog/draft-and-custom-orders-for-shopify-pos

With Draft And Custom Orders For Shopify POS you can now do the following all within the Shopify POS app for any device:

1. Add existing products from your current inventory
  2. Create and attach a new service (including the length of the service, the per-hour rate, and any supplementary notes)
  3. Create and attach any new custom products that aren't currently in your inventory
  4. Specify a workflow status with your custom draft order (i.e. New, Estimate, Open, Pending, Completed)
  5. Create a new and/or attach an existing customer to the custom draft order
  6. Set a discount on the overall custom draft order
  7. Email the breakdown of the custom draft order to the selected customer
  8. Add the custom draft order straight to the POS cart
jimisoul9e92
1 0 0

We have a custom clear out "to fulfill" set up so save personnel can screen that unmarried display screen. They have to choose the local services their personal shop and the filter is about to "open orders, paid, unfilfilled and partly fulfilled"

oyeusman1997
3 0 0

same question. if you find any best answer please tell me as well.

thebuybest
1 0 0

It takes an experienced person to manage inventory, warehouse products, pick and pack orders, and ship orders and there are complexities that go with each step of the fulfillment workflow. You need inventory to fulfill orders from your sales channels before you can fulfill orders from your website store. The storage of inventory. Order processing. Shipping. Returns processing.

pollynco
5 0 0

We have the same issue - we need staff to be able to see and fulfill all orders (online and in store) for all fulfillment types on the Shopify POS: Local Delivery, Local Pick Up, and Ship to an Address.

Has anyone come up with a solution for this?

Thanks,

Gemma

thosewhobloom
Excursionist
43 1 9
We simply check each morning for unfulfilled orders. I think this shows up
on our Shopify POS under the unfulfilled tab if I’m not mistaken. But you
can also check the Shopify back end app or view on the website. We have a
MacBook Pro set up that is for our shipping station right by the counter.
And whoever is working that day just monitors and fulfills online orders.
It actually works really well for us.