Can Shopify POS segregate in-store and online inventory?

rschmutt
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi everyone,

I currently have an online store and am about to open a B&M store and would like to use Shopify POS for simplicity.

What I want to be able to do is put the "store stock" in its own inventory location but for that stock not to be able to be purchased online... is that possible?

Ive read though all the help topics but I cant find a solid answer, I want to be able to sell products at my store without being worried that someone has already purchased it online

Reply 1 (1)

Summer
Shopify Staff
1290 316 220

Hey, @rschmutt!

This is Summer from the Social Care team at Shopify. I'm excited to hear you're about to open a brick and mortar store and you're interested in using Shopify POS! Using the Shopify POS along with your Shopify online store will make your store management simpler as this setup consolidates your inventory, customers, orders, and other shop components. We have a helpful guide that teaches you how to start setting up Shopify POS here.

It's definitely possible to create an inventory location for your brick and mortar store and disable online sales from that location. If you haven't created a brick and mortar location in your admin yet, you may follow this guide to do so. When you add the location and enter its details, simply uncheck the Fulfill online orders from this location checkbox under the Details section to prevent online orders from being fulfilled there. I've taken a screenshot of this area from a test store for your reference.

alt

If you have already created a location, then you may simply follow the steps below.

1. In your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Locations
  2. Click the brick and mortar location and uncheck the Fulfill online orders from this location checkbox

Should you need to add stock to the location, and need assistance in doing so, you may refer to this guide.

Is your brick and mortar inventory completely separate from your online inventory? If so, creating unique locations for both is the best course of action to ensure that the most accurate stock is used for each sales channel. If you have a combined stock for both brick and mortar and online store, it's best to keep one location for both and use it to fulfill online and physical orders.

Continuing on the topic about your retail expansion, where do you see your brick and mortar store going in the next few years? Do you plan to expand and open multiple stores? I recommend thinking about that as early as now so you can put a plan in place to reach your goal and grow your business. We have some creative strategies to share that will help you with that and if you're interested go over the tips discussed in this page.

Summer | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog