Looking to update pos, and take in jobs virtually.

WWRareJewels
Tourist
5 0 0

We own two jewelry stores and are looking to update our pos systems. We currently take in repair jobs and write info on a job ticket about the job and the person who left it with us. We are in search of a way to record the job to where it can be pulled up at any time and also give customers a section to sign saying that the jewelry is theirs, they'll pick it up etc. We also are looking into possibly having them leave a deposit on the job. Can Shopify POS system do that of is there an app out there we can add to it?

Replies 25 (25)
WWRareJewels
Tourist
5 0 0

I need something where I can take in repairs write notes on the repair, have them sign that they left their item. We also do custom things, lay away, and need a way to keep track of things like this.

Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1020 83 262

Our company has soon to be 6 retail locations, and process a heavy amount of repair jobs. In-house jewelry and watch repairs, outside manufacturer repairs, custom jobs, etc. We are considering using Shopify POS as our new front-end POS, although it lacks true job repair handling. We need to have an audit trail of who all has handled a job, what stage in the process it's in, where all location-wise the job has been, etc.

We use Advanced Retail Management Systems (www.armsusa.com) for back-end inventory management and repair job tracking. Integrated into Shopify POS, so the customer's repair job number with its costed payment due is just another Shopify POS product for the customer to purchase. In terms of a cloud-based POS solution that has some repair management functionality, I'd suggest looking at Lightspeed Retail (www.lightspeedhq.com). While their repair module doesn't really granularly track repair jobs, otherwise it's pretty solid.

WWRareJewels
Tourist
5 0 0

Thanks for the feedback! So if something sells either online or through your store how do y'all update it on the backend? Do product quantities update automatically or do you have to manually go in to arms and update it yourself?

Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1020 83 262

We have things integrated where one system updates the other. Via API hooks.

rhaq
Tourist
6 0 3

Hello there,  We too are currently using ARMS for our front end and also back end. Did you end up finding a good solution to your issue? We are also thinking about the future and trying to see what all options there are?

Jewelcam
Explorer
48 0 26

Hi

We are in Retail Jewelry also with a full line inhouse repair shop.

We have been using Jewelry Shopkeeper is over 15 years.  Been in biz for 26 years.  We currently use Prestashop for our online sales. 

I have looked at Lightspeed, and Ecom, i dont like how their layaways track payments, and i don't like their Repair/Work order collection as it is only set to take one item per job/ticket.  As you know a lady may bring in several items per Repair job. 

Now i've started looking at Shopify online and Shopify POS. 

Since we have a repair shop, layaways, store credits tracked by person and Special orders.  Im wondering if Shopify POS can handle all that with ease?

We really want a system that has a real omnichannel experience, without breaking the bank! 

Any suggestions? Im at a crossroad and dont know which way to go. I just dont want to get the wrong system and spend alot of TIME and then realize i have to settle with it or make it work. So im trying to do as much research now (been doing to for a year).

Thanks for any insight

Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1020 83 262

For our testing of Shopify POS, I was able to export out all daily activity via their API. I pipe this into a local SQL Server database, so that I can report off of store credits, in-house charges, layaways, etc. Then through the Shopify POS SDK I was able to create a custom private app, that allows the POS operator to collect information for new special orders. These items are typically one of a kind and not present in our inventory. The private app also has a few other functions (like identifying split salespeople).

The only gap we couldn't patch through custom development involved Shopify POS and repairs. We handle most in-house, but we also send them off to the manufacturer at times. We need to track where a job is and what stage it's in. While also needing to see the historical activity of the job. Lightspeed Retail has repair functionality, although it lacks a bit of the historical tracking (i.e. - like an audit trail) we need. We decided that if we were to implement Shopify POS then we'd have to stick with ARMS for initially issuing new repair jobs as a separate system. It would be integrated though, so that the job could be paid for in Shopify POS as a SKU'ed inventory item.   

Jewelcam
Explorer
48 0 26

@WWRareJewels wrote:

We own two jewelry stores and are looking to update our pos systems. We currently take in repair jobs and write info on a job ticket about the job and the person who left it with us. We are in search of a way to record the job to where it can be pulled up at any time and also give customers a section to sign saying that the jewelry is theirs, they'll pick it up etc. We also are looking into possibly having them leave a deposit on the job. Can Shopify POS system do that of is there an app out there we can add to it?

Hi WWRare Jewels,  i would like to know if you went with Shopify POS, and if so are you satisfied? We are a Jewelry store as well and are looking for a new POS. 

Stephen34
Shopify Partner
62 1 82

So Shopify is more of a front end experience....the website and POS are front end and do not really manage inventory and order processing to the level you are looking for. You can do partial pay on the website and manage layaways, but it has nothing to truely track cost of good sold and many other things you may need. You most likely will want a inventory management software that integrates with Shopify and just use Shopify and its POS for the front end. There are inventory management softwares that have excellent order tracking for manufacturing processes, repairs, etc. Shopify is more of just a front end.

rhaq
Tourist
6 0 3

Thanks Stephen! Do you have some recommendations of stable inventory management / repair programs that would integrate well with Shopify POS? Thanks!

Stephen34
Shopify Partner
62 1 82

@rhaqI'm not sure your needs, however I did a demo some time back with ERPAG (it's in the Shopify store) and it has substantial manufacturing features. I am not a manufacturer so it wasnt quite right for my business, but I did like it. It has a great Shopify sync and a QBO sync, Obviously from a demo I am not a expert on it nor your specific business needs, but that is where I'd start, the price isnt bad either. I would use it to manage everything from the back end and use Shopify and it's free POS (fancy cash register) on the front end. I'm not saying go with Erpag....just that I'd start there... it has a LOT of features and may suit you perfectly. Especially features like work order and being able to track a work oder through its process.

Also, if you order a lot of things for customers and need to know who it's for when it arrives to you, I'd also check out Order Time. Its pretty awesome too but I'm not sure if it has the features you would need for repair work (which in my mind is maybe more like manufacturing needs)....it DOES have some manufacturing features but I'm not as familiar with them because I didnt pay attention to that part of the software since I didnt need that. I think it has features like bill of materials, but I dont THINK it has work orders and taking them through a process....but maybe be wrong about that, you'd just have to check it out......But it may suite you well also, its a fantastic software.

rhaq
Tourist
6 0 3

Thanks! I will check it out.  Being in the jewellery business, its tough to find the perfect solution.  Unfortunately I don't think someone has created the most ideal jewellery specific POS/Inventory system yet that is modern and easy to use. 

Jewelcam
Explorer
48 0 26

@rhaq wrote:

Thanks! I will check it out.  Being in the jewellery business, its tough to find the perfect solution.  Unfortunately I don't think someone has created the most ideal jewellery specific POS/Inventory system yet that is modern and easy to use. 

Agreed We are in Retail Jewelry for 26 years,  Most everything out there is lacking as far as keeping up with tech and the omni experience for the customer.  Keep us posted if you find a working solution. 

Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1020 83 262

After pursuing the "perfect" solution for the better part of 20 years now, it's a tenuous scenario. There isn't any off-the-shelf solution that will fulfill most key critical requirements. We have looked at some larger providers in the past, and their solutions were more vanilla, and required a fair amount of customizations. Meaning significant expense getting something implemented.

Our long-term goal involves connecting a couple different solutions via API integrations. Currently we are looking at implementing Shopify POS for the front-end. And keeping ARMS' inventory and repair system for the back-end. While supplementing ARMS with Pipedrive for CRM. Sooner or later we will replace ARMS with a different inventory and repair system. For now it's solid, reliable, and provides good reporting data. Plus I was the developer who coded the ARMS API, mainly out of necessity to help future-proof things a little 🙂  

vintagejewelers
2 0 0

When you say back end, do the programs actually share customer CSV's? or do they each have their own, that you have to manually merge? That's the problem I'm having now. I'm using a separate repair tracking cloud based system that works great for repairs/services, but it takes so much time and frustration to manage two different customer databases, one in shopify and the other in the repair tracking system. Also it would make things easier if I could make payments on repair tickets directly in the software, instead of applying a payment, then going over to my Shopify POS system to process the payment.

Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1020 83 262

These integrations don't involve manually exporting and importing in CSV files. Using the API through web service calls I pull and push the data. Each system has its own data set that is synced up. Here's a basic example:

• A new customer comes into the store to drop off a watch for repair.
  • The salesperson creates a new customer record and a new repair job in the ARMS application and issues a repair ticket.
  • The new customer record is pushed into Shopify POS.
  • The new repair job in ARMS is pushed into Shopify POS as a dummy SKU.
  • When the job is ready for pickup, the customer comes in to pay for it.
  • The salesperson rings up the dummy SKU in Shopify POS for the customer's purchase.
  • The sold item pushes back into ARMS SS as a completed repair job.

The pushing and pulling are basically scheduled polling runs of my custom program that hits the API of both Shopify and ARMS. Looking at timestamps the last activity and just those changes. In these steps, those changes would be a new ARMS customer record, a new ARMS repair job, a sold Shopify SKU, etc.

Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1020 83 262

These integrations don't involve manually exporting and importing in CSV files. Using the API through web service calls I pull and push the data. Each system has its own data set that is synced up. Here's a basic example:

• The salesperson creates a new customer record and a new repair job in the ARMS application and issues a repair ticket.
  • The new repair job in ARMS is pushed into Shopify POS as a dummy SKU.
  • The salesperson rings up the dummy SKU in Shopify POS for the customer's purchase.

The pushing and pulling are basically scheduled polling runs of my custom program that hits the API of both Shopify and ARMS. Looking at timestamps the last activity and just those changes. In these steps, those changes would be a new ARMS customer record, a new ARMS repair job, a sold Shopify SKU, etc.

Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1020 83 262

• The new repair job in ARMS is pushed into Shopify POS as a new product SKU.
  • The salesperson rings up the product SKU in Shopify POS for the customer's purchase.

Jewelcam
Explorer
48 0 26

@Greg_Kujawa wrote:

• The new repair job in ARMS is pushed into Shopify POS as a new product SKU.
  • The salesperson rings up the product SKU in Shopify POS for the customer's purchase.

Thanks for the information.  I have been talking with Lightspeed and they are trying to sell me on letting lightspeed do the backend and POS and Shopify for the ecom. 

They charge a $99 connection fee to push and pull data between the two.

Their Lightspeed does the layaways, special orders, and repairs, plus offers a good inventory management system. However, I'm not sure if the layaways, special orders, and repairs data would be stored in the customer's online account in Shopify. 

On the other hand, it would be nice to work with one system like Shopify and their POS, that is what I would prefer. That way I do not have to learn to systems.