Can Shopify display varying item costs due to changes in shipping and customs?

katml
Tourist
3 0 5

Is it possible to have different cost per item prices, as it varies every time based on shipping/customs etc.?

So example I have 25 items that costed $40 but then I ordered 100 more and the more recent shipment costed $35 per item is it possible to show this?

Replies 8 (8)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @katml,

I'm not 100% sure about what you mean. Do you mean to have multiple costs for one product? Or do you mean to just make sure your costs are covered based on the difference in shipping prices to different places? 

If you could elaborate a little further on what exactly you mean it would greatly be appreciated and hugely helpful to perhaps finding a solution or giving you an answer to what you're looking for. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

All the best, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

katml
Tourist
3 0 5
Yes multiple costs for one product. When I import and restock the cost is
different every time, am I able to show this?
Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Each product you sell can only have one price. You can adjust the price if you wish, but it wouldn't be possible to have one product with more than one cost. 

Shopify does have a helpful guide about price-setting strategies which could be worth your time looking into and which you can read here. There is one section of the guide which I think is the most relevant to you which I screenshot and you can see it below: 

19-07-kwma5-4eauj

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

katml
Tourist
3 0 5

Thanks Nick, I already have my pricing and mark up down, my issue is that I have a flat price to sell at, but my import pricing varies because shipping, vat and duties vary so I need to be able to reflect that for every new order received.

AVarela
Tourist
3 0 4

This subject speaks to Product Costing, in general, which perhaps is a future enhancement for Shopify POS but not supported now.  Ideally, costing would require the use of Purchase Orders, where item costs are specified.  The receipt of goods against a PO should allow the posting of additional non-merchandise costs i.e. inbound freight, duty, etc.  These "landed costs" could also be posted during the entry of the invoice for any given receipt.

Shopify would then have to offer the user several inventory costing methods, i.e. Standard, FIFO, LIFO, etc., or at   least export the appropriate info to an accounting system via an integration, where the inventory costing is ultimately carried.

There are other scenarios i.e. where some products may carry a specific cost, inherited at time of receipt and invoice (from the vendor) that follows the item throughout its lifecycle.  Typically, these products would be serialized. The bottom line is that Shopify POS is not an accounting system.  Advanced inventory costing is only found in retail solutions that are built and scaled for larger retailers.

manit4c
Shopify Partner
28 4 3

Hi !

Shopify do not allow to add multiple cost per item.

But we've just release our new app to solve this problem.

Our app is named : "SmartStock"

And you can find it here : https://apps.shopify.com/smartstock

With it, you'll be able to :

• add multiple cost per item,
  • choose price accordingly to your cost, 
  • extract data to your accounting
  • And import stock to save time.

If you have any question, i'm here to answer it !

Check out our apps made with love, here:
https://apps.shopify.com/partners/opart
Intropic
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello. I see the smart stock app if not available anymore. Is their another version or any apps that you could recommend that would have the same features? I also need to be able to have multiple costs for same items since my costs can vary depending on when I order. 

Thanks for your time.

AVarela
Tourist
3 0 4

Context is everything here.  Typically, your "actual" costs should be maintained in your financials; not per Item, but as the total value of your inventory, which is determined by your purchase costs and any related "landed" costs (i.e. inbound freight, etc.) less your sales (and any adjustments). It is not uncommon for your purchase costs to vary with each purchase of an item so it's important for you to adopt a costing model, i.e. standard cost, FIFO, LIFO, and so on.  There is much more that needs to be understood about your situation, so apologies for being a bit vague here.
On the other hand, if your costs per item purchase vary because there is something intrinsically different about the product itself such that your vendor charges you a different cost price for each purchase, then this raises even more questions about your products and your pricing strategies.
The idea of having multiple costs for an Item in Shopify, sorry to say, requires a larger conversation.  Perhaps you can further explain.