Solved

Trouble connecting barcode scanner to Shopify pos

Krissy101
Tourist
12 0 3

I am really, really struggling to connect my scanner. I have a cheap android tablet that the POS software is working well on however the scanner goes right through the set up steps but falls at the final bit.

It goes right through steps 1-3 then on step 4 it beeps, the bluetooth light goes still but the software just keeps going round and round, it does not ever get to 'set up complete'

Can anyone help me?!

Thank you in advance 🙂 

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

This is an accepted solution.

@Krissy101 

• Which barcode scanner are you using? The S700 1D or S740 2D scanner?
  • Are the OS of the tablet and Shopify POS up to date on the latest version? Your Android device must be running on version 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher
  • What version of Shopify POS are you on? (You can view this in Settings/Apps/Shopify POS)

A few steps you can take: 

• Ensure Bluetooth is on in the iPad settings and the scanner is showing as connected. Also, check if you are within 10m of the iPad as this will impact performance and ability to pair the device.
  • Go to ≡ > Settings > Manage connected hardware and confirm if the barcode scanner is showing as connected there. If it’s not; follow the connection steps in our Help Center
  • If the scanner isn't connected at either place or just at one, forget the barcode scanner and re-pair it.
  • When pairing the scanner, confirm you have selected the correct scanning code to pair in the POS app (S700 = 1D, S740 = 2D). 
  • Devices not able to pair may be paired to another device. You can unpair the scanner using the public doc walkthrough.
  • If all troubleshooting fails, you can reset the scanner back to factory defaults by scanning a barcode specific to the type of scanner. If the barcode was accepted by the scanner, you will hear a series of beeps and the scanner will shut off. When you turn it back on, it will be in pairing mode. The factory guide steps can also be found in Sockets User Guides on page 4 S700 / S740
  • You can also try to flush the Bluetooth cache on the iPad, as this can clear up some Bluetooth connectivity issues: - Disconnect the hardware completely, and turn it off
    - Go to iPad settings, turn off Bluetooth
    - Turn off the iPad for a full three minutes
    - Turn iPad back on; turn Bluetooth back on
    - Reconnect the hardware, and try a test
  • If the scanner still has issues connecting try to reset the POS app

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 8 (8)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

This is an accepted solution.

@Krissy101 

• Which barcode scanner are you using? The S700 1D or S740 2D scanner?
  • Are the OS of the tablet and Shopify POS up to date on the latest version? Your Android device must be running on version 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher
  • What version of Shopify POS are you on? (You can view this in Settings/Apps/Shopify POS)

A few steps you can take: 

• Ensure Bluetooth is on in the iPad settings and the scanner is showing as connected. Also, check if you are within 10m of the iPad as this will impact performance and ability to pair the device.
  • Go to ≡ > Settings > Manage connected hardware and confirm if the barcode scanner is showing as connected there. If it’s not; follow the connection steps in our Help Center
  • If the scanner isn't connected at either place or just at one, forget the barcode scanner and re-pair it.
  • When pairing the scanner, confirm you have selected the correct scanning code to pair in the POS app (S700 = 1D, S740 = 2D). 
  • Devices not able to pair may be paired to another device. You can unpair the scanner using the public doc walkthrough.
  • If all troubleshooting fails, you can reset the scanner back to factory defaults by scanning a barcode specific to the type of scanner. If the barcode was accepted by the scanner, you will hear a series of beeps and the scanner will shut off. When you turn it back on, it will be in pairing mode. The factory guide steps can also be found in Sockets User Guides on page 4 S700 / S740
  • You can also try to flush the Bluetooth cache on the iPad, as this can clear up some Bluetooth connectivity issues: - Disconnect the hardware completely, and turn it off
    - Go to iPad settings, turn off Bluetooth
    - Turn off the iPad for a full three minutes
    - Turn iPad back on; turn Bluetooth back on
    - Reconnect the hardware, and try a test
  • If the scanner still has issues connecting try to reset the POS app

Krissy101
Tourist
12 0 3

Hi Trevor,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have indeed sorted it now, it was a bit of a pain but just in case anyone else is having the same problem this is what I did;

I have POS on an Android tablet and have the 1d S700 scanner, it flew through all the steps including pairing but would not complete.

I reset my scanner by holding both buttons. I went into bluetooth on my tablet and forgot the device, then did the same on the POS. I uninstalled the POS software then rebooted the tablet and reinstalled and started the whole thing again. I also changed the settings slightly so that the icons on the tablet were smaller, I do not know if this had any effect but when it was not working our pos icons were really large so nothing really fitted on the screen correctly, could just be coincidence but thought i'd note it just incase?

Incidentally, I reset and reinstalled the scanner 5 times, it was not until I completely removed everything including the software that it all worked correctly.

I also found once I got it all going each time I scanned an item the scanner was adding multiple items to the basket. This lead to me having to do one more uninstall/reinstall. The whole thing took around 5 hours of my time yesterday including live chats to support etc it was a nightmare but we got there in the end!

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

Glad you were able to get it resolved! Thank you for letting us know the steps you took to get this fixed. 

CandleLady
Visitor
2 0 0

I'm having the same issues with my Android tablet. Have you maintained connectivity to date?

Krissy101
Tourist
12 0 3

I had to re-install it again recently, it is an absolutely awful system if I am honest. We do not get a lot of foot traffic, our store is generally a web based store (a bit like Argos) otherwise I would buy a new system in. We tend to manually type in the SKU instead of scan as our SKUs are only 5 digits.

Sorry I could not offer better advice!

fdgray47
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Trevor,

Might have been more helpful if you had addressed to issue with using Shopify POS w/scanner on an ANDROID device, not an iPad.  May work fine with an iPad, but absolutely not good with Android.  Be nice if someone would spend a little time configuring the POS to work with Android devices the way it should.

lucas05021
Excursionist
125 0 5

Have you solved this problem now?

fabiomalaspina
Tourist
10 0 6

Hello,

There is a known issue with the barcode scanner, that is being investigated according to this website:

fabiomalaspina_0-1696210945594.png

https://www.socketmobile.com/support