Which label printer is best for Shopify POS: Zebra or Dymo?

eganss
Visitor
2 0 0

We are starting our POS with Shopify and need to know which label printer is best for both barcodes and shipping labels.  Zebra or Dymo... can the larger format printers take the smaller label sizes or do we have to have both to do both sizes? Some use cartridges some rolls?

Replies 3 (3)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2449 226 522

Hi @eganss,

Thank you for getting in touch. Do you know the exact size of labels you'd like to print? 

For Zebra printers, you can view a breakdown of which Zebra-brand labels can be used by the different types of printers Zebra offers. You can buy Zebra-brand labels of varying sizes directly from the Shopify Hardware Store, although please be aware that these are currently on backorder and cannot be purchased at this time.

There are a variety of barcode label sizes you can buy for Dymo printers as well, available to buy now. The labels available to purchase for shipping labels are also available in the 4" x 6" size.

If you can tell me what label sizes you are looking for I can provide more information on what printer is best for you.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

eganss
Visitor
2 0 0
HI Victor,
>From what I understand/found so far...4x6 labels are what I want for
shipping. We have had a fairly well used online business (school store) in
the past and anticipate the same volume of shipped orders once we get up
and running. So this is a big thing to pick the right one. I assume that
once we set up our shipping plan we can use 4x6.

I would want barcode labels that are 1x1 or close to it. Don't need lots
of info and want to make them just large enough for customers to see the
details on. We carry mostly apparel and accessories, some gift items that
may not be individually tagged.

I am used to a tagging gun with stickers for quick application so the
printing of labels and attaching them this way will take longer and be more
complicated. But, that said the whole program may in the end save me time
since I should not have to hand count all my items frequently for
inventory.... give and take. The front end choices and learning the ropes
is a tricky thing.

Beth
Victor
Shopify Staff
2449 226 522

Hi @eganss,

Thank you for that additional information. If you're looking for an all-in-one solution, then the Zebra 4" ZSB Label Printer can be used for both shipping labels and barcode labels:

16-24-32785-83730

You can use this printer to print 4" x 6" shipping labels and you can also use it to print barcode labels through the Retail Barcode Labels app, which is free to install and use. Zebra have a video on their YouTube channel which shows how you can use the app to print barcodes using the printer.

You can buy Zebra-branded barcode labels here, which come in a variety of sizes (2.25" x 1", 1.25" x 1.25", and 2.25" x 0.5").

Please be aware that this printer is only sold through the US version of the Hardware Store if you want to buy directly from Shopify, and that there are other supported printers you can consider.

I hope this helps but please let me know if you've any further questions.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog