Why is the Shopify POS hardware system always on backorder?

nmendez2000
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi all

What is the deal with shopify POS complete HW system. Every time i check it shows a back order message. Will this ever be available?

Thanks

Replies 8 (8)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2455 226 523

Hi @nmendez2000,

Thank you for getting in touch. Unfortunately, some of the POS hardware offered by Shopify has been adversely affected by global supply chain issues that have occurred in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic. Our retail team is working to get more hardware back in stock for our merchants to buy, but some aspects of this process are out of our hands.

You can sign up to be notified for stock updates on the product page of the backordered product, and you'll receive an email when more inventory is available for purchase.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

nmendez2000
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Victor 

this is the written response from the website and its been there for the past 2 years. What I am looking for is for an ETA when if ever will there be a complete POS bunddle hardware. 

Thanks

Victor
Shopify Staff
2455 226 523

Hi @nmendez2000,

Okay, thank you. I know that our ability to sufficiently stock our POS hardware has been affected since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, so thw two-year timeline you reference sounds right.

Can you please tell me which country you are based in, and what hardware you're looking to purchase specifically? Do you own any Shopify POS hardware currently?

nmendez2000
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Victor

We are un Boston, MA USA. Currently do not have any POS hardware, but are interested in the complete bundle package. 

Thanks

Victor
Shopify Staff
2455 226 523

Hi @nmendez2000,

Okay, thank you for confirming that. One thing you may wish to consider is our newly-released POS Go device, which is available to purchase for US-based merchants as of today. POS Go comes with an integrated card reader and barcode scanner, removing the need for merchants to purchase two devices, and can be used to access the Shopify POS software. POS Go can also be connected to WiFi and LAN printers.

In terms of our retail kits, you can view a stock update here. We hope to have more of our bundles back in stock in the coming weeks. Please let me know if you've any questions about POS Go or anything else hardware-related.

HKJ
Trailblazer
145 4 45

Can the POS Go unit be used as just a scanner and the sale completed on an iPad screen?

Victor
Shopify Staff
2455 226 523

Hi @HKJ,

No, this would not be possible. POS Go is designed to be an all-in-one device that negates the need for a tablet or mobile device to process in-person sales, as the Shopify POS app is built-in to the POS Go device. POS Go does not have bluetooth functionality so you could not connect it to your iPad and process the sale this way.

May I ask why you'd be keen on only using POS Go as a barcode scanner? Are you based in the US or another country?

HKJ
Trailblazer
145 4 45

US.

Because the only scanner Shopify supports is Socket, which is unreliable.