Solved

Bug - Shopify not passing updated product data on product/update webhook

My_Pap_Shopify_
Shopify Partner
32 0 8

Hello,
It looks like the product/update webhook is not sending the updated product data to the Webhook Address. I just tried this multiple times on a development store and its the same. Very easy to reproduce - just change the product description a bit on any product and save it. You will see that your update is not reflected in the webhook data and Shopify just passes the old data before the update to the webhook URL. You can use https://webhook.site/ to test it. 

I am using 2020-07 version of the webhook.

Is the Shopify team aware of this?

Thanks

Accepted Solution (1)
james-langille
Shopify Staff (Retired)
70 15 27

This is an accepted solution.

Good news @My_Pap_Shopify_ ! We were able to tackle this yesterday and we think we have it fixed, you should be receiving up-to-date information in your webhooks now. Please let me know if you find any more instances of this issue.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 13 (13)

james-langille
Shopify Staff (Retired)
70 15 27

Hello @My_Pap_Shopify_ , I was trying to test this out as well and it seems to me like I'm still pretty consistently getting up-to-date information. Could you provide me more details about this this issue? When were you testing and what was the product id?

My_Pap_Shopify_
Shopify Partner
32 0 8

Its this one, but basically the same for all https://winning-dev-test-store.myshopify.com/admin/products/5616315236513
Its a test development store so not sure if this issue only happens on test stores?
To reproduce, on the product editor, under Product Availability, uncheck "Online Store" and save. 
A webhook is fired where the `published_at` should have been null but it isn't. 
Now check online store back again so that its "published" again and save it and the webhook now sends `published_at`  as null when it should have been a valid date. 

james-langille
Shopify Staff (Retired)
70 15 27

Interesting... I know there is an outstanding investigation about how 'published_at' specifically is updated. Does this happen for you for any other fields? If not, I can forward this feedback, and if so, I have more research to do.

My_Pap_Shopify_
Shopify Partner
32 0 8

Yeah, same when I try with updating description as well, or any other field. Try updating description on the same product a few times, you will definitely encounter the issue. 

Check out these screencasts:
1. Webhook not sending updated data when published status changed  https://imgur.com/a/cFGim5e

2.  Webhook not sending updated data when description changed https://imgur.com/a/aqceqI0 

james-langille
Shopify Staff (Retired)
70 15 27

Thanks for the screen casts, that definitely helps. We will see what we can do to look into this issue. Thank you so much for reporting it, and we'll update here once it has been fixed.

james-langille
Shopify Staff (Retired)
70 15 27

This is an accepted solution.

Good news @My_Pap_Shopify_ ! We were able to tackle this yesterday and we think we have it fixed, you should be receiving up-to-date information in your webhooks now. Please let me know if you find any more instances of this issue.

My_Pap_Shopify_
Shopify Partner
32 0 8

Yeah, looks like its fixed now. Thanks!!

My_Pap_Shopify_
Shopify Partner
32 0 8

Hello James @james-langille ,

I have to report a very important issue regarding hmac where shopify is sending incorrect SHA256 HMAC headers in the webhooks. Is there an email address I could send this data to? This is not happening to all orders but is happening to at least 40% of the orders. 

thanks

james-langille
Shopify Staff (Retired)
70 15 27

Hey @My_Pap_Shopify_ , yes we're aware of the issue and are still gathering some information about it. Do you see instances of this happening over HTTP? EventBridge?

My_Pap_Shopify_
Shopify Partner
32 0 8

Hello,
We have not tested it over Eventbridge or HTTP. I noticed this issue first happening on a an old store(started around 2013). Note that not all orders had incorrect hmacs but a significant number of them had. I also checked some of the newer stores but this issue wasn't there apparently. So maybe this is only happening to older stores?

thanks

james-langille
Shopify Staff (Retired)
70 15 27

Interesting... I ask because there's an issue we're looking into regarding incorrect HMACs being sent only over EventBridge, but not Http delivery like your older store probably does. Something we need to look into. Thanks for letting us know!

tanishqandmac
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi James,

Seems like we are also having trouble with this web hook. Currently this is only firing up when the name / description / category / vendor changes. Whereas its not triggering up when the price / sku / barcode is changed. Our store in reference is mark1500.myshopify.com

vatsal1
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

When I try to update the publication sales channel as well as the market product wise, you will definitely encounter the issue that updating the product webhook is called, but not passing selected publication sales channel as well as selected market information in the product update webhook.

Check out these screencast:
1. Webhook is sending data but not any selected publication sales channel and selected market from available markets information for that product are missing.

Kindly check and let me know. Can I get information about the selected product, market, and publication details in the updated product webhook?

Shopify Product Update Screenshot of the selected publication:

screencapture-admin-shopify-store-demo-google-shopping-feed-vatsal-products-8815104327954-2023-11-23-11_27_15.jpeg

please give me reply asap.