Create Draft Order for Specific Location in Multiple Locations using API

apigordyn
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi!

Is it possible to create a Draft Order in a particular pre-selected Location when working with Multiple Locations, using Shopify API? 

I did see that it is possible to do it with Shopify API, using DraftOrder: https://help.shopify.com/en/api/reference/orders/draftorder

But nothing is said about Multiple Locations.

Appreciate your help!

Replies 11 (11)

Josh
Shopify Staff
1134 84 233

Hey there, 

I'm not aware of any way to do this via the API, or the Shopify admin. After doing some testing it appears to use the 'Fulfillment Priority' from a shop's location settings in order to decide the default location that is used when the draft order is converted to a real order.

With that being said though, the location attached to the order can be changed after it has been created.

Josh | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

apigordyn
Visitor
2 0 0
Hi Josh!
Thank you for your answer.
Actually, what I am trying to do is to integrate another e-commerce system
with Shopify.
We are currently working with Multiple Locations and also selling products
on another online plataform (sort of an argentinian ebay). This is the only
system that it is not currently integrated with Shopify. In order to do so,
I want to create a new Location and create a draft order via API for every
order that we receive in this other online platform. But these draft orders
should be created at this new Location. That is what I am trying to find
out, if that is even possible!
Josh
Shopify Staff
1134 84 233

Hello again! 

Really sorry for the slow response. 

So technically this would be possible if you chose the location you want your new draft orders to be placed at as #1 in your fulfillment priority list in your admin. The problem with this would just be that if you decide to automatically fulfill orders in your shop too, it will use that same location to fulfill from which may not be what you want in some cases. 

At any rate, I'll make sure I pass this request along to our draft orders team so they can consider adding defining locations as a feature in the future.

Josh | Shopify 

ClearChoiceAqua
Explorer
42 0 28

Just opened a second location and am now realizing that all draft orders are filling from the first location so my inventory is all screwed up.  Has anything come of this?  If shopify is going to have support for multiple locations I would assume that the orders can be filled from either location.  Until this is figured out i'm going to have to either do manual transfers or adjust the inventory manually.    

Josh
Shopify Staff
1134 84 233

Hello there, 

Nothing has been changed in this area yet that I am aware of - however, after a draft order is converted into an order, the location of the order can be changed with this drop-down at the top-right corner. Other location IDs can also be submitted when fulfilling the order via the API, which will then reduce inventory at the appropriate location.

2019-10-jvlc6-zhqkk

Josh | Shopify 

TaylorLB
Visitor
1 0 0

Is this still the only option- we would prefer to do location specific draft orders

ft-usa
Visitor
1 0 2

Same here. Also, when making a draft order it shows inventory available among all locations which is really deceiving for our sales team. If default to a location but have the ability to change location in the draft order and have the order reference available inventory at that location, it would be extremely helpful. 

ateeq
Visitor
3 0 0

+1 for this - 2/3 of our draft orders created via API aren't fulfilled from the default /primary location and it is very frustrating when you forget to change the location before marking it as fulfilled.

MvdH-Web
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi Josh, This would/is causing huge issues as it will only create short picks as in most cases the draft orders are fulfilled from 1 location (the online fulfillment location). The issue with draft orders is that it will allow the draft order to be created with the total stock that is available from all locations. When you create the draft order and then convert it to a real order and change the location to the online fulfillment location it has basically created an order for a product that is Out of Stock ...

Would appreciate your input.

Nomadica
Shopify Partner
13 0 22

We could really use this option. It causes a lot of problems for us. Our scenario is we use draft orders for some of our Wholesale customers. So our online retail customers place an order and it automatically get sent to our warehouse to fulfill, all good everything works as expected. But our wholesale orders often fulfill from a different location, and I often create a draft first, they then pay at their leisure. If I don't catch it right away our retail warehouse will start to fulfill it. One of the reasons I need it to go through a different wrehouse is the wholesale order are often quite large so we palletize them to get better shipping.

AlexLaurin
Shopify Partner
5 0 1

Hi,

I looked it up on Zapier and when choosing action "Create draft order" location is there as an option.

Still you would be better using a connector as trunkinventory or centralise using TradeGecko (although your argentinian platform may not be supported).