Debugging Webhook

Stefan_Podell
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

I'm working on an integration using Webhooks to call a system that I don't have a lot of visibility into (no direct access to the server, no access/error logs, etc).  What I do have is a script that can log what it receives once the request arrives, but I never actually get my script triggered.

I've been able to get the Webhooks working just fine when pointing at a server of my own - no problems at all.  I've also been able to hit the real remote server manually and that works.  But when Shopify sends the webhook to the real server, I get nothing at all.

So my question is whether there's any way to see what the issue is on the Shopify side.  I've submitted a support request but haven't heard back yet.  And if there's something I can do, I'd happily go do it in order to see what's causing the problem.

Thanks,

Stefan

Replies 6 (6)

Chris_Saunders
Shopify Staff
591 0 53

Is the webhook correctly registered with the server. Have you tried using local tunnel to get webhooks sent to your local machine so you can see where your script is breaking?

Chris | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Stefan_Podell
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Well, the problem is I've already got it working when pointed at a different (private) server.  But on the actual server I need to hit, I get no evidence of the request on that server.  Unfortunately, as I mentioned, I don't have access to logs and things on that server to tell what's going on.  I just know my script on the real server never gets executed.

Therefore, I'm thinking it's not on Shopify's end, but am hoping that I could get someone at Shopify to tell me what the response is to the webhook.

Thanks!

Charlie27
Shopify Partner
30 0 9

You could always use a library like curl to send your own http request to the real server and see what you get.

Stefan_Podell
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Thanks, Charlie.  I did already do that

I've also been able to hit the real remote server manually and that works.

I didn't use cURL, though, I used the Chrome REST Console app.  No problems there.

champteam
Visitor
1 0 0

I have the same problem. Can we at least see logs

@Stefan_Podell wrote:

I'm working on an integration using Webhooks to call a system that I don't have a lot of visibility into (no direct access to the server, no access/error logs, etc).  What I do have is a script that can log what it receives once the request arrives, but I never actually get my script triggered.

I've been able to get the Webhooks working just fine when pointing at a server of my own - no problems at all.  I've also been able to hit the real remote server manually and that works.  But when Shopify sends the webhook to the real server, I get nothing at all.

So my question is whether there's any way to see what the issue is on the Shopify side.  I've submitted a support request but haven't heard back yet.  And if there's something I can do, I'd happily go do it in order to see what's causing the problem.

Thanks,

Stefan

I have the same problem is there a way to see logs ?

anilkumar8412
Shopify Partner
4 0 2

i have the same problem can anyone help