Hitting REST API Limits (429) when doing very few "orders" PUT requests on dev store

Solved
DanAtBonify
Shopify Partner
31 3 13

I am currently using the REST API version 2020-01 on a dev (affiliate) store.

I can perform REST API requests very slowly, such as 1 request every 5 to 10 seconds, and will get the following error:

HTTP Status: 429 (Too Many Requests)

X-Shopify-Shop-Api-Call-Limit: 1/40
Retry-After:

Exceeded 0 calls per second for api client. Reduce request rates to resume uninterrupted service.

List of issues:

1. My call limit usage is "1/40" for the leaky bucket, so why am I hitting an API limit?
  2. The "Retry-After" header is empty.
  3. The message "Exceeded 0 calls per second" doesn't seem to make any sense.

Order-Specific Behavior:

• The issue is currently only happening when making "orders" PUT requests.
  • The issue does not happen with "products" PUT requests.
  • The issue does not happen with "customers" PUT requests.

Is this an issue with the Shopify API or is there a limit on dev stores (affiliate) that I am not aware of?

achieveapplabs
Shopify Partner
501 39 78

Hi @DanAtBonify ,

What's your development stack? Even if the Retry-After is empty the header is still there, why can't you try/catch that and resume where you left off?

Regards,

Sam Bazargan - Owner

Use Approovly to create and track order approvals | Looking for more Shopify apps? achieveapplabs.com/#apps
0 Likes
DanAtBonify
Shopify Partner
31 3 13

Hi @achieveapplabs,

The primary issue, unfortunately, is that the 429 error is happening way too soon... I'm expecting my bucket to accept up to 40 requests, and trickle out, however I can perform just a few requests very slowly and run into this issue, so I'm not sure what's causing it. When I do hit the issue, and wait 10 seconds and try again, I can hit the same issue again (shouldn't be possible given the leaky bucket).

And it's only happening on "orders" for me, which makes the problem even stranger.

Regards,
Dan

0 Likes
achieveapplabs
Shopify Partner
501 39 78

@DanAtBonify ,

Then you're sending out requests in bursts. I can't see your code so this is speculation, but there's no limit in a Dev shop for REST API so you're having an internal issue with your app. I would look for web server logs since sometimes we think our code is doing something but it's actually not. 

Regards,

Sam Bazargan - Owner 

Use Approovly to create and track order approvals | Looking for more Shopify apps? achieveapplabs.com/#apps
0 Likes
SBD_
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1095 147 204

Weird. Thanks for reporting @DanAtBonify. DMing for details.

0 Likes
DanAtBonify
Shopify Partner
31 3 13

@SBD_ Were you able to see anything in the request ID I sent over?

0 Likes
SBD_
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1095 147 204

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @DanAtBonify 

Thanks for the IDs. It looks like Development stores are limited to 5 order mutations per minute. This used to be in our docs but I can't find reference to it - chasing this up.

The response message is confusing too, I'll raise this internally.

Thanks for flagging!

belazaras
2 0 3

Any news here? I'm having the same issue even after hours of receiving the last 429 error, when trying to duplicate a product and I just get another 429. It's not even a dev store. Please help, thanks.

0 Likes
Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1016 83 243

Best advice would be to list one of the request ID's coming back in the 429 response headers. That way a Shopify staffer can look into it to provide some feedback.

0 Likes