Order API running into a 500 error but still creating order on Shopify end

Hello_pet
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

We are running into an issue where we are getting a 500 error from Shopify's Order API but it turns out irrespective of that the order is actually getting created successfully on Shopify's end. On our end, due to the error, we retry creating that order and if the second time around it goes through successfully (which seems to happen most of the time) - we end up with duplicate orders. We could probably add some checks and balances in our integration for this which seems to be just unnecessary work given that I am. not sure why we get 500 in the first place if the orders is getting created anyways. Has someone ran into this? if so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks.

Replies 9 (9)

CalD
Shopify Staff
140 22 36

Hey @Hello_pet,

Can you provide an x-request-id from the response headers? and we can look into this further. 

CalD | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

jcsantos
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hi, 

I'm facing the same issue several times. 

I'm making the request for order creation, I get back an HTTP 500 server internal error but the order is actually created. Since this returns an error, after some minutes I try to recreate the order. 

Sometimes this new request behaves correctly sometimes it doesn't and the merchant ends up with a lot of duplicate orders (double, triple or more).

Is there any reported issue that is being pursued that I can monitor or any workaround solution. this is creating a lot of stock accuracy issues since each order allocates stock and puts these units offline until the duplicates are properly treated. 

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

José Carlos Santos

SamBrowne
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi,

Sam from Philip Browne Menswear here

Just stepping in to see if Shopify can help rectify the situation that our partners have mentioned above.

The situation is extremely difficult to manage our end. Multiple sales creating minus stock holdings, creating fewer sales and no availability on many items daily. This must be resolved quickly.

Please can you work with our partners @jcsantos to help rectify the problem as quickly as possible please. 

I hope you can understand the seriousness of this matter and is resolved ASAP

Many thanks in advance,

Sam 

CalD
Shopify Staff
140 22 36

Hey @jcsantos,

Can you provide an x-request-id from the response headers (from within the last 10 days)? and we can look into this further.

CalD | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

SamBrowne
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi @CalD 

Thank you for getting back to us. @jcsantos if you could get back to @CalD as quickly as possible so we can try and rectify this situation.

Many Thanks,

Sam

SamBrowne
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi,

Just jumping in again here to show what we are dealing with in regards to the duplication of orders 

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 11.54.44.png

These duplicate orders are just from this morning. 

Thanks,

Sam

jcsantos
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hi, 

We will raise our log levels and as soon as we have some samples we will share with you, thanks

Best Regards,

José Carlos Santos

jcsantos
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hi, here are some samples:

orders:

PHB127767574 (FF-127767574)
X-Request-Id = 0faa67d1-8515-40c3-9ed6-c9b4455f8c8f

PHB127767374 (FF-127767374) 
X-Request-Id = 830b001d-83a4-435f-9023-1cc3571ff4c0

Best Regards,