Tax Service API

Tom_V
2 0 2

Our company is looking into developing an app that will use the tax service API.  Can somene help me with a few questions on it?

1. Can the tax API be used with a private app?

2. Is the tax API already enabled for development stores?

3. Is the checkout screen the only place where tax amounts are displayed to the customer

Thanks,

Tom

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
2883 166 532

1. Can the tax API be used with a private app?

2. Is the tax API already enabled for development stores?

Yes similar to checkout scripts , and no currently you must request access to the tax service api 

Is the checkout screen the only place where tax amounts are displayed to the customer

Some themes display a tax-value for subtotal but that is typically calculated by liquid logic and not pulling from the admin. There's also the things AFTER checkout, invoices,orders etc.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
Tom_V
2 0 2

Thanks for the reply Paul!

When using the Tax Service API with a private app how do you set the requested scopes?  The API docs say

Add the write_taxes permission to your requested scopes.

I understand how to do this with a "normal" app but not a private app.

Thanks,

Tom

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
2883 166 532

*edit, private apps give full access you shoudn't have to set scope at all.

you should literally only have to pass the scope parameter set to "write_taxes" as part of the auth|oauth

Jroyce1180
Pathfinder
85 4 17

@PaulNewton any idea how I could get access to the Tax Services API now? I heard this was no longer publicly available. 

0 Likes
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
2883 166 532

@Jroyce1180 with any platform for non documented, non public systems you contact the platforms support.

Contact shopify support, partner support,  or for PLUS merchants their MSM

Otherwise the only accessiable tax api is the Taxes Schema in Analytics using ShopifyQL

https://shopify.dev/docs/admin-api/rest/reference/analytics/shopify-ql/taxes

And the miscellaneous properties like taxlines on line items, or customer tax exemptions

0 Likes
Jroyce1180
Pathfinder
85 4 17

Thanks and I have been in touch with Partner Support, Shopify Plus support and had numerous emails back and forth trying to get to the right team/person within Shopify who can authorize the access of this Tax API. Do you happen to know a contact point that could assist with this? 

Also, just curious, do you know of any other apps (besides Avalara's AvaTax) that still have access to this Tax API?

0 Likes
LHansen3
1 0 0

Were you ever able to get the info you needed on this? We are trying to understand what the API is sending to AvaTax because we want to use CertCapture to exempt transactions instead of the very generic Shopify Tax settings. 

0 Likes