Solved

Webhook not received when products reordered manually in a collection

howard-boost
Shopify Partner
18 0 4

Hi,

Our app got all the collections/update, products/update... webhooks registered in our customer stores. But we never received any hook when user manually reordered products in a collection with `sorted_order=manual`. Is that normal? I personally think we should receive collections/update hook because it is quite common use-case.

Accepted Solution (1)

Busfox
Shopify Staff (Retired)
628 49 110

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @howard-boost,

We don't currently have collect webhooks, which sounds like would be what you are looking for.

The behaviour you are seeing is expected, as the collection object itself isn't actually changing, just the collects linking the product to the collection. You would need to poll the API to get this information.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

Busfox
Shopify Staff (Retired)
628 49 110

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @howard-boost,

We don't currently have collect webhooks, which sounds like would be what you are looking for.

The behaviour you are seeing is expected, as the collection object itself isn't actually changing, just the collects linking the product to the collection. You would need to poll the API to get this information.

howard-boost
Shopify Partner
18 0 4

Hi @Busfox,

Thanks a lot for you answer that makes a lot of sense. However, there is another case that there is no webhook as well: when you make a bulk updates in product list page: "https://yourstore.myshopify.com/admin/products", such as making products avaialble/unavailable. Is it also expected?

Thanks again!

Busfox
Shopify Staff (Retired)
628 49 110

Hi @howard-boost,

Changing product availability in the bulk editor is triggering product/update webhooks for me. Can you provide more information into what you are doing that is not triggering the proper webhook (and which webhook specifically you are expecting to be triggered)?

HunkyBill
Shopify Expert
4845 60 547

When you "Poll the API",

In plain english can you explain this? I am currently listening to collections/update webhook, and when the collects are changed, nothing triggers that webhook. Also, Shopify has stated they are moving or have moved away from collects as a thing. So my question is loaded. In mid-2020, when products are added or removed from a collection, how are we supposed to recieve notice of that? What do you mean when you say POLL THE API. What are you saying exactly there?

How is polling ever a good thing? Other than in bulk operations that can take a long time, I see no excuse for this.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
Mete
Shopify Partner
132 0 37

Hey @Busfox,

We also wonder the answer of this question:

when products are added or removed from a collection, how are we supposed to receive notice of that

Do you plan any enhancement for collection webhooks?

Thanks

Co-Founder / Developer at: merchbees
Merchbees Low Stock Alert - Keep track of your low stock items by email and slack
Merchbees Inventory Value - Know your inventory value and quantity in real-time
Push Down & Hide Out of Stock - Move out of stock products to the bottom of the collection to improve SEO & hide/ unhide automatically

GB2
Visitor
1 0 0

searven.com web site not receiving e-mails i can not contact them anout my order #3668 thanks gary.

Mathuraju
Shopify Partner
13 0 2

Any update on introducing collects webhook?