Solved

App to geo target customer address

Monsieur_JZ
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Shopify community,

I am looking for an application allowing us to get the user address from their GPS location of their mobile browser and match this with Google Map.

This will be used in a food delivery context, have you heard about something like this?

Thanks

Accepted Solution (1)
Zainab-e
Shopify Partner
32 6 13

This is an accepted solution.

html5 geolocation returns GPS coordinates only. You will have to pass these coordinates into a geocoding API (Google, MapBox, Here) to fetch city, country, street, etc. Then you'll have to put these fields into checkout form programmatically. 

View solution in original post

Replies 8 (8)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Monsieur_JZ,

Nick here from Shopify. Really good question, I like your thinking on this!

I looked through the Shopify app store and could only find Geo Location apps for when a customer would be in a different country and it would re-direct them based on their country and not a specific GPS address. You can see these Geo Location apps in the app store here

Because of this, what I think you're looking for is very customized and would probably require to have something custom built for you. It's definitely something which is possible but would need to be built for your needs specifically. You can see the Shopify Expert directory here to research and look for an expert you resonate with and would feel comfortable working with on this for your store. 

Hope this answers your question and points you in the right direction for the best next steps! 

All the best, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Zainab-e
Shopify Partner
32 6 13

I think what you're talking about here is HTML5 geolocation. You can take a look here https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/map-geolocation and see if it's of any help.

Monsieur_JZ
Visitor
2 0 0
Indeed that's it, my question was if there was a way to leverage on this data instead of having the customer to enter shipping information manually
Zainab-e
Shopify Partner
32 6 13

This is an accepted solution.

html5 geolocation returns GPS coordinates only. You will have to pass these coordinates into a geocoding API (Google, MapBox, Here) to fetch city, country, street, etc. Then you'll have to put these fields into checkout form programmatically. 

MichaelGeo
Pathfinder
194 3 17

Hi there!

I saw you have got the solution, but just to add one comment. I agree HTML5 GeoLocation API would be the solution in your case, as it can access your visitors' precise location with long/lat data across different browsers and devices. But one thing needs to be aware that it requests visitors' content before geolocation data can be obtained. Thus some visitors' data might not be available as some users may not be comfortable sharing their data. For may details, you may read the post: https://geotargetly.com/html5-geolocation-api 

With obtained lat/long data, you can get detailed street address using geocode API matching lat/long data with street address.

While for visitors not granting permission sharing their location, you can potentially provide alternative ways, like letting visitors typing their address manually.

Hope it helps!

RaihanC
Visitor
1 0 0

did it work, I am looking for something similar. we always have to WhatsApp clients for their location. 

jsajal1993
9 0 0

Hi @Monsieur_JZ @RaihanC , were you guys able to solve your problem? We have an app that does the same thing but we would like to first understand your use case before recommending you that. Feel free to contact us at pepperappz@gmail.com or leave a reply here.

Thank you

davidbg
Shopify Partner
31 1 0

Hi! Are you trying to obtain customer coordinates for the purpose of having a more precise delivery address? Or do you want to capture coordinates to do market analysis? If its the former, I believe the tricky part would be that perhaps the customer is placing the order from another place to which it is destined to be delivered. In this case, I would recommend you use an app like Wayfinder.
The app allows you to obtain customer delivery gps coordinates by embedding a google maps on your site where your customers can deliberately pin point their delivery location as part of your purchasing process.  
Steps
1. Install the app, place your google cloud api in the settings.
2. Insert the Google Maps as a block in your theme editor where you best see fit, you can also customize style. 
3. Publish theme settings. And start receiving customer Coordinates.
4. You can see the coordinates and a link to a google map in your order details in your admin.
Hope this solves your problem!