Solved

Can I set up a Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal on my Shopify store?

AltugTheTeesion
Visitor
2 0 2

Hello all,

I want to set up a Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal to my store, When customers add three products to cart, the cheapest products will be free.

I`ve been looking for this service for days, talked with app developers and experts(still talking tough). Mostly they offer gift system, but I have 8 products different prices, but this gift system limits me. 

Also, I want to giveaway discount codes for only single purchases. 

Do you know a service, app or expert can do this?

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (2)

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, there!

Jason here from Shopify Support.

There are three ways to resolve this issue for you. It's a fantastic business idea that you want to offer the customers Buy 2 Get 1 free. Here are the ways you can achieve this.

The first way is to use the Discounts function right from your Shopify admin. Shopify offers both Codes and Automatic. From what I gathered, you want to give away the discount codes for a single purchase only. The steps below are creating the discount from Codes section (so you can generate the giveaway codes for your customers)

1. Shopify admin > Discounts > Codes 04_18-jvpuh-fcehj
  2. In the Discount code section, create the code name. In the Options section, select Buy X Get Y04_25-a4gb4-0p4dz

3. In the Customer buys section, type in 2 and select Specific collections. In the Customer gets section, type in 1 and select Specific collections and Free at At a Discounted Value 

04_26-gx6zb-sayr1
  4. Again, in the Customer buys section, click on Browse. A popup window shows all the collections available. Select the collections where the products you want to be included in the promotion. If it's the whole store, select all the collections. Once done, click on Add 04_29-twzvj-s0wdv

04_30-jghps-d0sg3

5. Repeat the same steps for the Customer gets section

6. In the Customer eligibility section, assuming you want to make it available to everyone, so select Everyone. In the Usage limits section, select Limit to one use per customer04_34-vibfk-42e63
  7. You can adjust the rules to tailor what you need accordingly. Once finished, don't forget to click on Save at the top right corner 04_37-l0kay-q1prq
    The cheapest product is automatically the free one by default so you don't need to worry about setting this up. For more information, feel free to check out Create a Buy X Get Y discount.

The second way is through the apps such as Discount Ninja and Discounted Upsells ‑ Upsell, where the app can set up advanced discounted rules.

The third way is exactly what you've been doing, contacting the Shopify experts and consulting how they can build a customized feature just for you.

I hope that information helps, however, should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reply back here and I'd be happy to help out! 

All the best,

Jason

Allan | Shopify Community
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

View solution in original post

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, Stacey (@EurbanPanda)!

Thanks for reaching out! To answer your question, let's go over the general idea of the discount code from Shopify.

The discount code requires the customer to put both products (one purchased and one free add-on) into his/her/their cart. For example, this is the cart page at my test store, after I've selected the two products (one I intend to buy and another I intend to get for free, both from the product page):
28_36-z9tn1-7qz9p

Notice the variants can be different. My first product is in silver and the second product is in green. Once the customer reaches the checkout page, he/she/they can then enter the discount code you've generated (the code you've generated at Shopify admin).

28_40-x7esy-u8ftr

After the discount code is entered by the customer, the checkout page will look like this.

28_42-n1pq0-tnxjp

As you observe this workflow, the discount isn't automatically applied when the customer reaches the checkout page. Rather, it requires the customer to pick up the promotional product first at the product page (in your case, another pair of sunglasses) and enter the discount code you've made at the checkout page. The discount code, if made, doesn't need any time to roll out through the system. Once you've made the code and saved it, it affects the store right away. Just in case if you'd like to have a reference document, here's Discount codes FAQ.

If this isn't clear to you, feel free to provide me with your store URL. I'd be happy to make a personalized video for you to show you the customer's journey. Let me know if you run into any issues!

Best,
Jason

Allan | Shopify Community
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 64 (64)
BioBunnies
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi Julie! 

Thank you for your reply.

Let´s hope that this feature will be implemented soon :). We are trying this out now with a workaround and are just advertising on with a Hero Image and a subsequent segment explaining how it works. So far its going well! 

EddyChung
Shopify Partner
65 1 28

This thread already explains how to create a BOGO discount, but as many of you have stated, it requires the customer to add the items manually. 

Many customers won't do this, get confused, and then leave your store. 

There are several apps that make this more visible, adding the item to the cart or product page:

• Discount Ninja
  • Automatic Discount & Gift
  • Free Gifts by Secomapp

Here are some example screenshots:

4cb2bae513185c6410b224358e14a560.png

4490d99e5234b2082effa787c3620298.jpg

Check out my full review and comparison of all these apps here.

Best of luck with your store :)! 

shayan21
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello Jason, 
First of all thankyou for your explanation, I set a discount offer of buy X and get Y and did everything right, but the offer is not showing in cart section, 

Lina5
Visitor
2 0 0

HI,

I was just reading the response to the question re discounts and noticed at the end  the mention that the discount always applies to the cheaper item in the cart.
Can this be changed?
I just added a discount to a certain collection - Buy 1 get one 15% cheaper and noticed it was the cheaper items getting the reduction which isn't what I wanted...
 hope you can help! 
This is the collection I am referring to 
https://linasteinmillinery.com/collections/online-live-workshops/Online&Live

Thanks,
Lina

girishsarvaiya
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi,

This solution is not working for me.

Terraandco
Visitor
1 0 1

Hello Jason

I would like my shoppers to see the offer " Buy One Get One Free" 

I created an automatic discount but how would shoppers know that they need to add two products to the cart to get one free?

How do I create a product description that shows discounts, but not be part of the subscription?

Thank you  

kamran13
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your explanation for Buy 2 Get  discount. In this type of discount  we have to communicate to the customer, That for abc products you can select the xyz product to avail the discount. I am looking for a way that for this type of discount customer select the abc products and xyz (free product) product automaticaly selected at the checkout as free procuct and we do not have to communicate to the customer for such offers.
Any help/suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kamran

MaxDesign
Shopify Expert
186 13 74

@Kamran you can do as suggested before and/or try some apps.

If you want the automatic discount to actually be automatic (eg. add free/dicounted product to cart automatically when another product is added), it needs to be done in the code. Some conditions have to be checked with liquid and javascript (such as verify if the free product is not already added in cart, if the BOGO condition is met etc.). So if previous tips do not suit you, you'll have to hire someone if you want to directly modify your theme as I explained.

Reach out to me at admin@maxdesign.expert

Sarah2306
Shopify Partner
155 3 0

TRy out Upsell Cross-sell Smart Tool app. You can create BOGO, free shipping, discount and even suggest the related products for customers to buy more: 

• Create product upsell and cross-sell offers: Set up upsell and cross-sell offers easily. Show popups after customers add to cart or decide to check out.
  • Encourage shopping needs: Suggest different products so that customers buy more items and grow the cart value
  • Increase your revenue: Drive more sales by offering to upsell and cross-sell products. Expand the cart value by stimulating customers to make other purchases.

Pinakin
Visitor
1 0 2

Hello, So I followed the way to discount codes and its working just perfectly with my store.

The one thing I wanted was to add a text between the Options picker and Add to cart button saying : Buy x get y free and so on. But as I am adding the text in edit code it gets applied to all of the products whereas I want it to display for a single product.

I would be glad if anyone could help me out with a solution to this. I have been trying to solve this issue since so many days. Thanks in advance

Best Regards

jessdesk
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi there, were you able to find a workaround for this? 

Zani
Visitor
1 0 0

Thank you for your fast response. I have a discount code set up for a sale on 10/31/2021 ending November 1, 2021. You may not know you can only have one discount code at a time. 

I have the cards and any time someone buys the cards they should be able to get the greeting printable.

How would I work around that?

Derek_Morin
Shopify Expert
216 1 34

Our app does offer a way to make a BUY 2 GET 1 free, applied on the cheapest item in cart. No need to select specific items admin side, you can run the promotion store-wide. Here's an example with BUY 1 GET 1 free (simply change BUY 1 for BUY 2 in the settings). You can also try it live here

camiladexter
Tourist
6 0 1

Hello i want to add custom budget bar on my collection page.  Like this attached image. Which app will be most suitable for this task.Capture.jpg

camila

cronics
Shopify Partner
36 0 1

Hi @AltugTheTeesion
Our quantity breaks Shopify app can do exactly what you need: 

cronics_1-1700497274015.png

Quantity X is a volume discount app with an upsell funnel. Try for free https://bit.ly/Quantity-X