FROM CACHE - en_header

$hopify Bulk Discount App on SUNSET?? (The $ in (S)hopify seems more fitting...read on...)

stefanjse
Shopify Partner
26 0 8

Dear $hopify

I just discovered tonight as I was about to generate some new discount codes for a clients store, that Shopify has got a Sunset on the Bulk Discount App... I was like hmmmm what is this, so i read your not so subtle blurb on the app page and discovered a not so subtle link to a PAID for APP...WTF*&^%^*^$^& 

(what a surprise) !!

I clciked on the link to inspect the App and oh how generous of you.... 3 FREE months of the App then just a small simple fee from then on per code set...how nice of you...WTF*&^%^*^$^&  !!!!!!!!!!!!

(ok.. im calm now...) 

Now lets get real....Its so frustrating some times with Shopify, like every few months something comes up and im like WTF am I doing here lol. First you strip your partners of their comissions and now this month you try and scrape more $$$ from your customers for something as simple as bulk creating discounts... whats next ??? are you going to charge 50c per product photo ??? 10c per product tag ???

Just please tell me that the reason you did this is becuase this feature will be implemented into the core of the platform so no app is neccasarry and that im having a complete over reaction and meltdown for nothing and this was all just a misunderstanding

(Im not holding my breathe)

To be straight up it feels quite insulting, I dont mean to come across all "entitled" like i expect everything for free, becuase I most definitley don't! I understand that $hopify is a business and your partners who develop for the platform create apps and themes to make a living, i 100% get that! But when you start slowly money grabbing for every little thing it starts to add up and to be honest on this one i think you have crossed the line.

I dont expect a reply from $hopify telling me "we will pass this on to our team and let them know your feedback" Im more intersted in hearing from other shopify partners and customers what their thoughts are? Is the future we can look forward to with $hopify...a money grab to the last cent? am i going OTT on this? all feedback is welcome 🙂

Regards

A really frustrated and franlkly :pissed off partner!!!

Stefan Einarsson Web Designer @ http://jsecreative.com stefan@jsecreative.com
Replies 15 (15)
Ross_Allchorn
Shopify Expert
6 0 0

I had a look now and while my knee jerk reaction was to agree, when I went to the app page I see you can generate up to 10,000 codes for one buck, 100,000 for three bucks or 250,000 for 5.

They've also created an endpoint in the API for batch creation so there's that too.

Is this a principles issue or a monetary one? If the former, then sure, there are some questions to be answered there for what it's worth (not much I don't think) but if the latter, I struggle to see a situation where a single (or few dollars) is going to earn the app the "extortionate" title where the return is likely going to drastically exceed the investment.

Shopify Expert
stefanjse
Shopify Partner
26 0 8

I was mostly offended that $hopify would monetize such a simple aspect of running an eccomeece store. To me creating bulk discounts isnt a feature that should require a paid for app. 

In terms of the revenue for the app. Yea it's not gonna make the top 10 list of most expensive apps but the pricing is slightly miss leading. It's $1 every time you use the app and generate a set of codes up to 10,000. Over a year of use that adds up and across the entire shopify network as this is being promoted as the official replacement app for bulk discounts I'd say it makes a decent bit of coin for a very basic task! 

The API is great and a lot of apps and developers will use this but store owners are the ones that will be boned here! 

Thanks for your thoughts though, it's good to have a conversation going about this sort of stuff 🙂

Ross_Allchorn
Shopify Expert
6 0 0

Agreed, it's good to have a mature discussion about a topic like this.

My view -for what it's worth- is that they have given the task of maintaining a solution (that is seemingly superior to their own) to a partner of theirs. And although it derives them some additional revenue, I don't believe it breaks the bank on the merchant level... unless someone can correct my rather weak math skills. I think it's great to contribute financially to a better solution (and the developer's business staff's salaries) and have Shopify focus on other things.

If a merchant were to generate 1 million codes per month (12 million codes in the year) it would cost them $240. I'd think that is homeopathic levels of comparison. It works out to $0.00002 per code.

I'm sure the app developer is ecstatic... and I suppose I can empathize more with them than a merchant paying a small fraction of a cent per code that drives their revenue up 🙂

Shopify Expert
stefanjse
Shopify Partner
26 0 8

I get what you are saying totally, Im a web designer myself so Im always up for someone in the field getting their fare wage and seeing a return on their time and investment and I have nothing against the developers or the new App .... but ... by Shopify discontinuing the free option and not allowing merchants to decide whether they want to pay for a premium App solution it seems a little off to me. It feels like a monetization of a core feature that could have easily been implemented to the paltform itself with minimum maintenance for shopifys team.

Merchants pay a monthly fee to shopify for these basic tools and as a web designer im finding it harder and harder to sell shopify to my clients when basic feature requests come with my reply of "we will have to use a paid for app to achieve this" the client says "but on big commerce and lemonstand its a standard feature" and I cant argue with them on that!

The Math for the app would work something like below... lt generates a decent pot of cash:

A merchant uses coupon sets for multiple paid for marketing Apps could be review rewards, loyalty rewards, campaign ads, etc etc.

Merchant has 10 campaigns launched this month with 10 different offers in the form of a 1 use coupon.

Each offer requires its own unique set as the discount offer would be different per set and require a unique prefix and we need them at 1,000 codes a pop. So we need to generate 10 sets this month.

We would generate these codes at $1 per set x 10 so a total of $10 (not gonna break the bank but slightly annoying). Over 12 months repeating this kind of thing on average we can say that we will spend $120 in fees for generating coupon sets.

Now where the $$$ comes in....

According to Wikipedia as of 2017 Shopify powers more than 500K stores but as wikipedia isnt always 100% correct and for the sake of being fare lets go with shopifys reporting at the end of the 2016 Business year of 377,500 stores (https://www.shopify.com/press/releases/shopify-announces-fourth-quarter-and-full-year-2016-financial...)

Lets say that 10% of all stores use bulk discounts in this kind of way to this degree. Thats 37,750 stores paying on average $120 USD a year.

37,750 Stores x $120 = $4,530,000 per year

I can see why shopify monetized from a business point of view and I would love to know wat Shopify's rev share on this app is .... Im gonna guess its more than the usual as they are driving traffic towards it and converting all previous free app users to the paid for version.

At the end of the day its their platform and their rules so im not gonna cry on about this forever lol. Thanks for your time and this little forum therapy session, it feels nice to vent haha 😜

Ross_Allchorn
Shopify Expert
6 0 0

I hear what you're saying, but it seems like you're begrudging them the good earnings more so than being upset about the cost to the merchant? I wouldn't consider $120/year a lot for what they get in that scenario.

Anyway, it is kinda is what it is. I hear what you're saying and if the cost was higher to generate codes I'd be 100% on the bandwagon with you. The thing is it's not, and if your client's stores are growing, the cost is so inconsequential as to be a non-factor unless they're being penny wise and pound foolish. 

Yeah, often the alternatives have a bit of a "grass is greener" appeal but as it stands, based on all the research I've done in the past, Shopify is still a very fine option for most stores. To me it's Shopify... Shopify Plus... or something bespoke. Not to say that the alternatives are "bad" but the positives of Shopify far outweigh the negatives... in my experience to date.

Shopify Expert
stefanjse
Shopify Partner
26 0 8

Overall I feel its cheeky to take a way a standard feature which they had implemented by offering a shopify based app and then converting it into a paid for one the way they did it.

$120 a year is a lot when a few days ago it was $0 (well not $0 they pay their monthly subscription for basic stuff like this) . My client didnt gain anything but a new expense so in that perspective it is.

It just really gives me the vibe of milking everything to the last cent on shopify's behalf. It makes the job harder to sell to clients when their store costs go up and up and up for pretty basic stuff like this! 

Its definitley the principal from my perspective as im not the one paying the monthly subscriptions 🙂

Ross_Allchorn
Shopify Expert
6 0 0

I'm keen to hear Shopify's perspective on this.

Shopify Expert
stefanjse
Shopify Partner
26 0 8

Im keen for a shopify perspective? I will happily take back everything I have said if the reason is valid and fair 🙂 

Felix1
Tourist
3 0 3

Hey I'm currently working on a free discount code generator app. Would you like to beta test it? It's not on the app store yet but will be soon. The app is super simple and integrates seamlessly with the admin. Let me know if you're interested. I need some feedback to tweak it 🙂

stefanjse
Shopify Partner
26 0 8

Felix !! You are Awesome 🙂 Great App it is so much better than the **New** Bulk Discounts App. This is pretty close to how it should work natively within Shopify if they just added it as a core feature.

Many ppl will be very appreciative for your time & effort.

Just one note if you want some minor feedback:

- Add an option to name the set of codes with a new title on code generation so in discounts admin it will have a clearly marked heading of what codes the set belongs to.

Other then that which compeltely isn't a big deal, I really like this App and actually enjoy your work flow better for creating codes over the Shopify propsed App 🙂

Felix1
Tourist
3 0 3

Indeed you cannot edit the title from the admin and this could be useful. I'd just like to keep the app as simple as possible. I'll investigate how I could integrate this while keeping a coherent and cohesive user experience. Stay tuned and thanks for the kind words 🙂

Chris_Geiss
Shopify Partner
10 0 2

Hi all! Hope I'm not too late to the party 🙂

I was a bit surprised when I saw Shopify sunsetting their app as well, but I understand their reasoning and ultimately agree with the decision. Shopify invested a lot to revamp their discounting infrastructure, released some great updates including a new API, and have set themselves up for an exciting roadmap in this department. After doing so, their bulk discounts app was in need of a refresh to take advantage of the new API and they had to make a choice. Ultimately, I do not think the app had a TON of usage and that usage would only shrink over time as other platforms and developers started integrating directly with the API. So they decided to reach out to a trusted partner to deliver a replacement and help with a smooth transition for existing users.

I completely understand your frustration though! I assure you no one will be making anywhere close to millions from a bulk discount generator; however, there is real value being delivered for those still in need of this functionality. I do agree it could be cheaper than the primary alternative and kudos to Felix for even delivering a free option. We decided to throw our hat in the ring too and would love for you all to try our app, beta install available here: https://www.seguno.com/apps/discount-generator.

We have a free monthly allowance of 10,000 codes across as many discount sets as you'd like and you're only charged $0.01 for every 1,000 codes beyond that. Said another way, it's likely free or super cheap. Similar to Felix, we didn't build this for a paycheck. Seguno is focused on a much larger mission of helping merchants drive revenue by executing smarter discounting strategies so this fits perfectly in our portfolio and we took our time to deliver a really nice experience. We hope at least, you tell us.

Shopify is, and should continue to be, focused on their platform and enabling the ecosystem to thrive because that ultimately delivers more value to all involved. I believe their decision regarding bulk discounts aligns with that strategy. Shopify will continue to innovate and more and more partners will directly integrate with the new API so the future of discounting is brighter than it's ever been.

Thanks!
- Chris

Chris Geiss, CEO | Seguno: Email Marketing Inside Shopify | seguno.com
Chris_Geiss
Shopify Partner
10 0 2

Just circling back here now that our app is officially listed in the marketplace. Please give it a shot and let us know if you have any questions or suggestions.

https://apps.shopify.com/bulk-discount-generator

Thanks!
- Chris

Chris_Geiss
Shopify Partner
10 0 2

We recently changed the pricing for our Bulk Discount Generator and thought you all would like to know. I'm happy to report it is now 100% free! Please let me know if you have any questions or feedback, I'm always happy to chat. We hope you'll give it a try 🙂

Thanks!
- Chris