How do you automate average unit cost management?

djblurr
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi,

I run a Shopify store and currently manage my average unit cost in a spreadsheet. It is a very time consuming thing to do and then I need to manually update the cost of the products inside of Shopify as well.

I thought I would be able to easily find an app which lets me setup a purchase order of some sort and then maintain my average cost automatically, but I haven't been able to find the right fit yet. I can see Stocky offers this feature but it is for POS Shopify only. Love to hear how anyone has gotten around this?

Replies 7 (7)

nztack
Excursionist
14 0 3

Did you ever figure this out? I’m in the same boat. I buy from overseas so my cost changes drastically per shipment depending on the USD and not having the ability to to use average unit cost is wreaking havoc on my “Stock on Hand” on my books

djblurr
Tourist
4 0 2
No! So frustrating that nothing exists.
nztack
Excursionist
14 0 3

Very frustrating! Shopify seems to be missing so many core features. Fingers crossed this is resolved soon as it seems a lot of people are frustrated by this.

M0w45
Excursionist
37 0 6

Did you end up finding a suitable app for this purpose? We also need to track variable cost for the same product (i.e: buying a SKU from supplier at regular cost, vs. buying it at a discounted rate) and we need to track these different costs since it's impacting our margins as well.

djblurr
Tourist
4 0 2

I've actually recently starting playing with the pro version of the Shopify POS - which gives you access to product called "Stocky".  POS will cost you about $80/month but stocky is free.

It appears to do what I want it to do, however I've been waiting almost a week from Shopify support for an issue I'm having with it. You can preload your initial average costs, and then create purchase orders which will supposedly amend your average costs on the go. Sounds good, but after uploading my average costs, it hasn't set it correctly. It could be user error, hence why I'm waiting for clarity from their support channel.

If I can get past this, it seems like the best option.

-Brent
Tourist
3 0 1

I'd love to know how to do this also. It's basic business. So many simple options missing here! Very frustrating!

CC237
Visitor
2 0 0

Stocky does the WAC (Weighted Average Cost) but it is not straight forward. I've called Shopify about this half a dozen times. The way to do it in Stocky under "Preferences" click on "COGS" under that "Disable" Automatic Cost Price Syncing. Then below that there is a heading "Manually sync average cost".

This Manually syncing needs to be done every time you receive inventory on a Purchase Order. Super annoying and completely crazy. It should be done automatically like every other POS system out there. Shopify says they are working on it but I'll believe it when I see it.