How to add a Country Selector Header

Matt90210
Tourist
12 0 2

Hi, I am trying to solve a very simple problem. I think that a solution can be helpful to a lot of people, but I'm not finding much informations about it.

I am selling in different countries: I have multiple Shopify sites, one for each Country/Language.

I am looking for an app or a way to add a simple selector on the header on which I can put the other Language and currency and which site to redirect the user: in this way a costumer can simply select his language and be redirected to the right site.

I'm not looking for a translation app, as there are several sites: a simple selector that redirects users is enough for me!

Anyone know an app that does this? (possibly free, for a thing so simple!)

Replies 3 (3)

Lana
Shopify Staff (Retired)
849 77 107

Hello @Matt90210!

Depending on the subscription plan that you're currently on, you might be able to make use of the international domains feature. An international domain or subdomain is a URL that's specific to a country or region. This is available if you're on the Shopify Plan or above (see our Pricing page for reference) and will redirect customers to the correct URL based on their location. If you are on a plan that is eligible, you can set this up with the following steps:

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Domains.
  2. Next to the domain or subdomain that you want to customize, click Manage.
  3. For non-primary domains, select Don't redirect to the primary domain to see the domain management options.
  4. Choose the languages and country or region that you want associated with that particular domain.
  5. Click Save.

I have a link to full information on International Domains here.

If you are not on an eligible plan, one way that I can think of which would not involve any apps or coding is to have all of your different stores for various countries and regions linked in the menu. You can set this up as follows:

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Navigation 
  2. Click into Main Menu > Add menu item
    23-23-14196-37530

The above method is not ideal as you do need to repeat this for each site individually, but it is a good alternative if the first option does not work for/suit you. Also, instead of a 'selector', it will just appear as a normal menu item in the header.

Lastly, if you wanted to do all this on just one site, this can be achieved through the use of our free Geolocation App.

The app will allow customers and site visitors to change their country and language with selectors as you had mentioned you would like to do - but it also goes a step further and gives them a pop-up  to recommend the best options for them based on their browser preferences and location.
For more info on using this app, you can see our help doc on the topic here.

Since you're a merchant that sells globally, I thought it would be beneficial for you to look into our Shopify Blog article on The Ultimate Guide to Selling Globally on Shopify - it has some very useful information on things like displaying taxes, setting up shipping and even marketing and advertising. 

If you have any additional questions on this, please feel free to let me know! 

Thanks. -Lana  

Lana | Social Care @ Shopify
-Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Matt90210
Tourist
12 0 2

Hi Lana, thank you for the help. You gave me a good list of options.

• Unfortunately the international domain feature won't work for me cause doesn't work for European users and all my stores are in Europe.
  • The menu options seems to be a good option. It is not a problem to do it manually, in an hour I'll add it to all the stores. For the moment it's a good option that works, but I find it a bit "inelegant". A special selector would be better.
  • I'll definitely give a look to the Shopify app. From the description it looked like a popup and a selector for the footer, it didn't seem to me that it could be put in the header. I'll try it.

Regards!

PS. I have already thoroughly researched all the official Shopify guides for selling internationally, they are very good.

Lana
Shopify Staff (Retired)
849 77 107

Glad to hear that you found the information useful!

A note regarding the Geolocation app - you are right to say that it is a pop-up that will give your customers recommendations based on their location, and while the app can add a selector to the footer, it does not necessarily have to be there.

This really depends on your theme, specifically an example that I can give you if you're using the Debut theme, your selectors can be placed at the top like so: 

29-21-42476-62506

Otherwise, you are also able to look into moving them through custom coding, for which I recommend you look into Shopify Experts. Experts are people who work externally to Shopify and charge their rates based on the work that they do. They would be able to help you out with that placement! 

Lana | Social Care @ Shopify
-Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog