Solved

Is Mapbox integration necessary to test Storemapper app on my site?

twhitfield
Tourist
6 0 0

Hello, my company is interested in using a store locator app that is compatible with our Shopify site. The app that were are interested in is called Storemapper and it can use Mapbox (OpenStreetMaps) for geocoding purposes. Mapbox is a third party app, but it's a much more cost effective approach for the same solution than Google is. I spoke with support yesterday, and was told that Mapbox would require permissions on our site to test if it will work for our store. He also stated that "The developer of Mapbox would need to create an integration from their app to your online store to be added to your Shopify Admin and test if it will work for your online store." Is this true? At this stage I just want to demo the app to see if it is the right one for our company. Do I have to go through all these steps just to download and test it?

Accepted Solution (1)
Chris_Sydney
Shopify Partner
87 4 15

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, 

Shopify needed assess to you store to install a store locator? thats a bit strange (i didnt think they did that)...

RE: google maps costing? Curious as to how many queries you are getting on that page, as i think you get a free credit per month on the api? are you going past 30,000 request per month?

View solution in original post

Replies 6 (6)

Chris_Sydney
Shopify Partner
87 4 15

Hey, 

I am assuming the support is from storemapper, and they prob just has someone to make sure it looks right on the theme. is there are reason why you cant install yourself to test? 

Depending on your use case, and skills you could always just build this using the google maps api. 

https://developers.google.com/codelabs/maps-platform/google-maps-simple-store-locator#0

twhitfield
Tourist
6 0 0

No, it was Shopify support that I spoke with, but I'm not familiar of their knowledge with Storemapper. I suppose I need more access to add the app on my company's Shopify site. 

Also, I appreciate the link you sent, but unfortunately Google is priced too high for us. This is why Storemapper *with Mapbox* is specifically our desired app.

Thanks

Chris_Sydney
Shopify Partner
87 4 15

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, 

Shopify needed assess to you store to install a store locator? thats a bit strange (i didnt think they did that)...

RE: google maps costing? Curious as to how many queries you are getting on that page, as i think you get a free credit per month on the api? are you going past 30,000 request per month?

twhitfield
Tourist
6 0 0

Not sure yet, but we are a business with over 500 locations. Queries very well might be over 30,000 a month

twhitfield
Tourist
6 0 0

Also,

We'd like to create a product search on our site that would filter the results based on what items have available inventory in the customer's pre-selected "favorite store" (as in one of our brick-and-mortar locations). 

We know that we can have a product search return all results and then AFTER clicking into a specific item, show if the pre-selected "favorite store" has available inventory. But is there an out-of-the-box solution that would have the results filtered to only show items based on the store's available inventory prior to clicking into each individual item?

TNK91
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Twhitfield

One application that does something almost similar to your description is WP Maps, which is is Shopify-compatible product and store locator solution.

WP Maps cannot filter a selected product based on a customer's favorite store. However, it can show customers the stores located closest to them after the customers select a product.

Hope this helps.