Is there an app that automates SKU selection for unique products?

Is there an app that automates SKU selection for unique products?

CDirect
4 0 0

I'm not sure if such an app exists but - 

I'm looking for an app that when a customer orders an item, it randomly picks a SKU from the collection of that item.

For example, I sell one of a kind products, each one is unique and photographed and I have thousands of skus. However, I have some generic listings of some of these products for Google shopping for a customer to choose from.  When that happens, I have to manually go to the site and choose from one of our skus in that collection to assign to the order. 

I'm looking for something that could potentially automate this process and choose from a specified collection based on the generic item that they ordered.

Replies 6 (6)

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2313 211 615

I think clarifying these 2 things would help to get a response:

1) What do you want to happen after the app "randomly picks a SKU from the collection of that item"?

2) How do you want the app to choose the collection when the SKU is a part of multiple collections?

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Figure Out Why You're Not Getting Sales
CDirect
4 0 0

Sure, 

1) When it randomly picks a SKU from the collection of that item, it should mark that SKU out of stock.  Since all of the items are quantity 1 of 1, it should just set the quantity to 0

2) There won't be any SKUs that belong to multiple collections because for example:

Customer orders a standard white rug - there are 300 different unique SKUs in the white rug collection which only belong to that collection.  It just needs to select one of the rugs from that collection.

Kalen_Jordan
Shopify Partner
520 17 76

You're saying that you want it to randomly pick a SKU from the collection and add it to the order? I should be able to build out a workflow automation for you if you're interested?

CDirect
4 0 0

Basically yeah - the only additional functionality beyond that would be selecting the right size from the collection as well if possible but I'd love to chat more if you think you could make this happen 

Kalen_Jordan
Shopify Partner
520 17 76

I did some work this morning on an automation for this. Couple of questions.

Is there always just one line item per order or are you wanting to support multiple?

When the order happens on the site, what is the sku that they are selecting? I know that we're finding a sku from within the same collection and adding it to the order, but I'm curious what the original sku is?

How are the sizes determined?

Are you using smart collections or custom collections?

When you said above that you wanted to mark the SKU as out of stock (setting quantity from 1 to 0) - wouldn't that happen automatically by adding it to the order? Or do you have some other kind of setup in place?

CDirect
4 0 0

Its usually one line item per order but there are occasions where a customer may order multiple of the generic item and we have to assign multiple skus. 

To clarify, the way we are doing it right now is like this:

- Customer orders "Brown Large Rug" so the sku is BROWNRUGLARGE

- We select a large brown rug from the brown rug collection and mark it out of stock which would be a sku like 85689R

- We go into Shipstation and add a note to the order with the SKU and location of the product that needs to be sent

Obviously, this is very inefficient at scale which is why it would be awesome if it could modify the order potentially before it reaches shipstation.

To answer other questions,  I want to say we are using smart collections but I'm not 100% sure on the difference.  But adding it to the order would technically automatically remove it from inventory if it was added onto the order.

If there's a private message or email we could discuss this in more detail, I'd love to come up with a solution.

Thanks