Re-using custom app for multiple stores

theregrow
Visitor
1 0 0

I'd like to build a custom app and then re-use it to get installed in different stores. 

On Shopify guides it states that Shopify Plus service partners can install the same custom app on multiple Plus stores for a single Shopify Plus merchant. However, I don't know what exactly is considered the 'same custom app'. I.e. if I change a text would be considered a different app already?

Thank you.

Replies 3 (3)

Cellify
Shopify Partner
54 3 15

Few months ago you would create custom app that you could install on all stores you want.

However, Shopify changed their workflow and now you can have one app per store only.

To overcome the issue we implemented Master App - so app that checks which store is calling it and returns data basedon this. However, it still needs you to create custom app in Shopify Partners for every store - you just point all of these apps to one URL

KimchiSlaps
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi @Cellify , 

Thanks for your response!
How would you go about creating this? 
I'm trying to install my custom app on 3 different stores under the same user (testing, canada, and US): 

KimchiSlaps_0-1643739612556.png

Would I just do this process 3 times with each domain? 
How do I get these apps to point to one URL? 

pjedrzejczyk
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

In Shopify world - app is not different codebase or even instance, it's just different app created in the Partners dashboard that gets you different API_KEY and API_SECRET.

You need to create multiple custom apps in Partners dashboard, pointing to same URL where you have your single app instance hosted and supply multiple API_KEY and API_SECRET key pairs to it and based on the shop it connects to use proper keys. 

I've created handy express server middleware that makes it easier to do it. All you need to do is to write your own createShopifyApp function that based on the shop returns shopifyApp instance created with "@Shopify/shopify-app-express"

https://github.com/paweljedrzejczyk/shopify-multistore-app-middleware

Let me know what you think.