Can I add customer notes to the packing slip or the Order Export?

gco
Excursionist
18 1 7

I have regular customers that have specifications on their orders. I have added a note against the Customer which I can view on the right panel when I view the order from Shopify. However, as we expand and gain more customers, looking at each order to check for notes is a bit inefficient. Is there a way to add the Customer Note to the packing slip? I have already added the Order Notes on the packing slip (which is really handy), but I don't wish to make my regular customers add the same note for every order.

Or is there a way to add Customer Notes to the email notification I get when the order comes in? Otherwise, is there a way to get it exported when I export the Order details? These are the three things I look at (email, packing slip and order export) when I process orders, I very rarely look at the order in Shopify itself.  

Thanks!

Replies 12 (12)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @gco.

Elias here with Shopify Support. That's a great question!

I understand you're looking for a way to add the order note preferably to the New order email notification or the order exports. You can add the order note to both, the New order notification template or the Packing slip template. To add the order note variable to the New order email template, simply add the note variable - {{ note }} from our Notification variable reference. This template is located under 'Settings > Notifications' and here's a screenshot to help you find this template:

16-47-mez89-x8nv1

I'm aware that you've already added the order note to your packing slips and you prefer to have it on the New order notification or the order exports. However, for others that may be reading this thread and wanting to add this to their packing slip. The packing slip uses the variable, {{ order.note }}, from our Packing slip variable reference. The Packing slip template can be found under 'Settings > Shipping and delivery'. and here's a screenshot of where this template is located: 

16-52-avvtm-ecafv

As for the order exports, the order notes are already included in the CSV when you export the order. They can be found under the Notes and Note attributes columns as indicated on our guide. That being said, if you aren't seeing these two columns, are you using a third-party app or exporting transactions?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

gco
Excursionist
18 1 7

@Elias thank you for your reply. I believe you are referring to the Order Note which the customer puts on the order. I'm actually after the Customer Note that only the shopowner can update. The one that is attached to the Customer account. 

It actually looks like others have asked the same question:

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Design/Accessing-Customer-Note-in-Account-liquid-template/td...

Doesn't sound like there's a way to do it. 

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @gco.

My apologies for the misunderstanding and thank you for clarifying! I've checked the variable references for both templates on this, I'm afraid there isn't a variable for the customer profile notes. However, I understand this is an important feature for you and I'd be happy to share this feedback with our teams. If Shopify moves forward with this feature, you will be able to find it on our changelog or announcements page. 

That being said, you may be able to export the customer notes and orders with a third-party app for the time being. I've handpicked the following apps that may be able to help accomplish this, called EZ Exporter - Data Exporter and Exportify. Looking at the screenshots of both apps, they are able to provide custom exports with customer attributes. Both of them offer a free trial, I'd recommend giving that a try. If you need any assistance with these apps, you can also reach out to the app developers through the contact information found in the Support section of their app's page. 

I hope this provides a solution for you to look into. If you have any other questions on this topic, please don't hesitate to let me know!

gco
Excursionist
18 1 7

Thanks @Elias, I thought as much. I will have to figure out some other way for now (the apps you mentioned are out of our price range for the little use we require), maybe I will use tag or something. Thanks for looking into it.

JT2000
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

My client is also looking for this feature. It seems like a basic requirement to have customer notes on a packing slip. Ex. The customer note may remind the person picking/packing to always customize something in a certain way according to the customer's needs. I understand that the customer note is not external facing, but the packing slip is not external so I was hoping it would be possible to pull this data over. (And to clarify, I am also not interested in the order note.. we are looking for the customer note).  

Any progress on this item? I honestly couldn't even see an app that would let me add the info to a packing slip. 

Thank you! Any help would be appreciated. 

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @JT2000.

Thanks for joining the thread!

I appreciate you for checking on the progress of this feature request. However, making changes or implementing new features to the platform isn't something we can share a timeline for. As mentioned earlier, if Shopify moves forward with implementing new features - You'll be able to find it on our changelog and updates page. 

That being said, I understand you're looking to add the customer profile notes to the packing slip. As a workaround for time being, you can copy the profile notes onto the order notes. Since order notes can be included on the packing slips, you can find the variable for order notes variables from our packing slip variable reference.

If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

tinybrandco
Visitor
3 0 0

@gco @Elias @JT2000 

I'm wondering if anyone has found a solution to this after a couple years time? Is there some code that could be added to packing slip perhaps?

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @tinybrandco.

Thank you for joining the thread!

I'm afraid there aren't any updates on adding timeline notes to the packing slips or exporting them onto CSVs at this time. However, as suggested by @gco, you can use something like order tags, which can be exported onto the CSVs. You can check out our order expert CSV structure and see if there are any other headers you can use as well. 

That being said, I will also be adding you to the list for this feature request and sharing this feedback with our developers. Feel free to keep an eye out on the Shopify Changelog for any upcoming changes or updates to our platform. 

I'd love to hear more about the notes you're trying to add to the packing slips and see if there are any alternative solutions that I can share. What kinds of products are you selling? What types of notes are you looking to add?

highlandfeed
Visitor
2 0 0

Hey Elias, I am looking for the same thing. I have attached the picture to the post. I'm looking to add the Customer Notes from the Customer Account Management Side. I circled it. Can you let me know?  Thanks!

Untitled.png

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @highlandfeed.

Thank you for joining the thread!

If you're looking to add the order notes onto the packing slip (located in the Shipping and delivery settings), then you can simply add the variable {{ order.note }} to the packing slip. However, if you're using Order Printer, then you need to add the variable {{ note }} to the packing slip.

That being said, if you need further assistance with editing the packing slip, then this is something that our Theme Support team can help you with. While we're not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community, we'd be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Simply visit the Shopify Help Center and log into your account to create a support request.

I'd love to hear more about your business! What kinds of products are you selling? Do you have a marketing plan prepared for your store?

AdaptiveTextile
Shopify Partner
7 0 0

I still don't think there is a solution. I'm surprised adding the customer note (NOT order note {{note}}) option to Order Printer packing slips wasn't created yet. 

Please add this feature to the Order Printer app!

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @AdaptiveTextile.

I understand that you'd like to add the internal customer notes onto the packing slips using Order Printer. While there isn't a way to do this at the moment, I'd be happy to share your feedback as a feature request with our development team. If Shopify moves forward with any new features or platform changes, then we'll be sure to announce them on the Shopify Changelog. However, as we're unable to provide a timeline when this feature request can be implemented, we'd also recommend exploring our list of third-party packing slip apps

If you have any other questions on this topic, then don't hesitate to let me know!