Solved

Can I display a sample ebook chapter directly on my product page?

Smithgift
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello. I'm running a direct sales store for ebooks. I want to offer a sample chapter.

I realize you can add a link to a sample PDF, and if that's the best solution, I'll do that. However, I'd like it if the product page could directly display the rich text of the sample (a metafield).

1. Is this possible?

2. Is it a good idea? I'm concerned about performance, though I'd be surprised if a wall of text would actually be that bad. I also want to know if it would work well for both mobile and desktop.

Thanks for any help!

Accepted Solution (1)

tim
Shopify Expert
3282 236 1183

This is an accepted solution.

Of course you can.

Depending on your theme this could be as easy as adding a section like "Text content" and using your metafield as Dynamic Source for this.

And it would be an easy edit if it needs custom coding.

You can create a rich text type metafield which, together with some styling will prevent the "Wall of text" look -- you'd have your headings, paragraphs, bold, italic and even lists and links...

And yes, it will be much easier to manage, and faster to load then PDF. And definitely much more mobile-friendly. PDF may also open in a different reader (esp on mobile) so it will lead your visitors away from your site.

Depending on your source ebook format (and content) it may make sense to add a couple of screenshots to your product images if you need to convey how exactly  it will look.

If my post is helpful, consider liking it -- it will help others with similar problem to find a solution.

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

webwondersco
Shopify Partner
1036 157 154

@Smithgift Hope you are doing well.

It's great to hear that you're interested in offering a sample chapter for your ebooks. Adding a link to a sample PDF is definitely an option, but I understand your preference for displaying the rich text of the sample directly on the product page. 

But by adding the pdf option people get to know what your ebook looks like after users purchase it. And by just adding the text users don't get an idea about how your ebook will look from inside.

Web Wonders | Shopify Partner | Connect here!
- Question answered? Mark as Accepted Solution, reply helpful? Click Like
- Hire me, if you want to design, re-design, develop a store, or make changes to the pre-built store.
a small Coffee Tip would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

tim
Shopify Expert
3282 236 1183

This is an accepted solution.

Of course you can.

Depending on your theme this could be as easy as adding a section like "Text content" and using your metafield as Dynamic Source for this.

And it would be an easy edit if it needs custom coding.

You can create a rich text type metafield which, together with some styling will prevent the "Wall of text" look -- you'd have your headings, paragraphs, bold, italic and even lists and links...

And yes, it will be much easier to manage, and faster to load then PDF. And definitely much more mobile-friendly. PDF may also open in a different reader (esp on mobile) so it will lead your visitors away from your site.

Depending on your source ebook format (and content) it may make sense to add a couple of screenshots to your product images if you need to convey how exactly  it will look.

If my post is helpful, consider liking it -- it will help others with similar problem to find a solution.